Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a question for you guys. I just bought a 92 Integra GS-R, B-series of course, and i am wondering what your suggestions are for mods. I want to increase power by a lot, but i am still in High School, so my funds are short. I want to know what you think i should do. Thanks!

Ry

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Save up lol.

What do you want to do with the car?

Street machine, 1/4 mile monster, auto-cross competitor, etc.

You're choices are all motor, turbo, and/or nitrous. If funds are short, you don't have the ability to do any of these fully. The usual Intake/Exhaust/Header/Intake Manifold will yield about 10-13whp, and they force you to go all motor unless you want to get rid of them for boost.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in all honesty, i am not sure exactly yet. It is my first real project, but i know a lot about cars because my best friend and i work on his wrx. It is NA but i definately want to install a turbo at some point but obviously that will cost a decent amount. Right now i want to focus on replacing some of the stock parks with aftermarket parts, exhaust, headers, etc.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Well, if you want to eventually go with a turbo setup, spend all this time researching it, and figuring out exactly what you want, and exactly what you need when it comes to all the various required parts and tuning.

You'll just be wasting money on an Intake, Exhaust, Header etc. None of those NA parts will work on your turbo build (unless you go with a rear mount system...in which case the size of all those parts would have to increase anyways).

· Registered
430 Posts
dont touch the engine yet if your going to build your car start from the bottom up like wheels and tires, brakes and suspension, weight reduction, and finally the engine... follow those mods in that order and your car through out high school will be enjoyable.... BTW im in high school too so i know how u feel about the funds :D

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
if you want it to be fast you'll need boost. end of story. b17's are like b16's they response horribly to breather mods. even with full boltons on you'll be hard pressed to outrun a stock dc2 gs-r and they are mid 15 second cars stock. i've heard of people hitting high 14's low 15's with the old gs-r's but that's rare. either way you have to boost it if you want it to be a balanced street fighter.

· Registered
430 Posts
if you want it to be fast you'll need boost. end of story. b17's are like b16's they response horribly to breather mods. even with full boltons on you'll be hard pressed to outrun a stock dc2 gs-r and they are mid 15 second cars stock. i've heard of people hitting high 14's low 15's with the old gs-r's but that's rare. either way you have to boost it if you want it to be a balanced street fighter.
WEIGHT REDUCTION!!!
Wait 'till you get to university:bomb
dude i cant even afford stepping on a university campus on my family's income... anyway im in a vocational school soooo they find me a job in my senior year :number1

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
ummm honda weight reduction sucks balls. i like my car to be comfortable not have a stipped interior just to run a 10th of a second faster. suspension and boost and he could run 12's easily without compromising comfort. most weight reduction i would do is carbon fiber parts and lighter rims. no ripping out back seats etc. that shit is so ghetto

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
exactly. i'm not impressed with a stipped go-kart. now a full inerior car that is comfortable and fast is quite sexy. i raced an ef hatch with a b17 swap and full bolt-ons with my stock 97 gsr and i walked him on the highway. hence why i'm saying don't waste your time with breather mods. it should already get 35 mpg as is.

· Registered
430 Posts
ummm honda weight reduction sucks balls. i like my car to be comfortable not have a stipped interior just to run a 10th of a second faster. suspension and boost and he could run 12's easily without compromising comfort. most weight reduction i would do is carbon fiber parts and lighter rims. no ripping out back seats etc. that shit is so ghetto
ok then... i dont know what to tell him then besides its not that bad if you have a 2 door.:rolleyes
lol best weight reduction is a light meal and a trip to the bathroom :lol2
or hit the gym

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so is my best bet an engine swap? Like i said, i am in high school so i don't need to make it track ready or running 10's and 11's, i just want more power. I can do bolt ons, but if the B16 doesn't respond well to breathers, would an engine swap be better? obviously it's out of my price range right now but im looking for ideas.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Turbocharging it will give you the best bang for your buck. Period.

Plan to spend a good $4000 once everything is said and done. You could probably knock off $1500 or more if you did all the work and tuning yourself.

Get your motor compression tested to see if it's a good starting point to be doing anything with. If not, a quick B18C1 GS-R swap would be a nice place to start if you didn't want the 1.7.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
If all you're ever interested in is like...25 more horsepower, you could do the simple Intake/Header/Exhaust/Intake Manifold, and a set of mild street cams. But that will probably creep up to the $2500+ area with tuning anyways.

The only advantage is that you don't have to spend the $2500 all at once. You can do it piece by piece, few horsepower at a time.

And if you spend a bit more time on it, and go for some more race-ish parts, you could get closer to a 40hp increase for something closer to $3000 with tuning.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alright that sounds good. How much do B18C1's run? and if i modded any of the B16 would that transfer to the B18C1 because they are both B series?

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so your saying that even if i get those bolt ons and build it peice by piece,, they wouldnt work with a turbo?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.