Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking in a junkyard to see if I could find a good oil cooler to replace mine that seems to permanently leak (I've swapped the o-ring, oil pressure switch and sensor, and oil pan gasket). I noticed that not all 90-93 Accords have an oil cooler, just the center bolt that the oil filter screws onto and goes directly into the block.

After looking at the bolt on the parts car, there isn't a hex head to take it off, where my oil cooler uses a 30mm socket to remove it.

I want to permanently remove my oil cooler to see if that will stop the leak, but how do I get the bolt off the parts car? Is there a allen wrench socket in the inside of the bolt? I figure I can just

By the way, I got my 93 Accord for free, and have less than $1000 in it to replace the wrecked body parts, new stereo, tires, etc. I love driving it, but the smelly burning oil keeps my wife out of the car (not a good thing).

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I went ahead and took the oil cooler off, cleaned it up really good and replaced my new o-ring with another one and reused my Fram oil filter since it had only been on one week. The oil leak was still there after the engine ran for 2 minutes, but this time, I could see where it was coming from.

The seal on the oil filter won't stay sealed. So I went to get a Wix filter and put it on and the leak is still there but very minimal. While I had the car up on ramps and the engine was running, I pulled the oil cap off of the valve cover and was surprised to feel an extreme amount of crankcase pressure. I checked my PCV valve which is clean and works fine by my standards, so I check the hose and I'm getting pretty good vacuum, but not anywhere close to the amount of pressure coming out of the oil cap.

My theory is that I have an extreme amount of crankcase pressure that keeps blowing my oil cooler seal and oil filter seal. Besides the PCV, is there something else that should be providing ventilation of the crankcase that I'm missing? This might help solve a lot of oil leaks on F22 motors if someone has an idea...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.