Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm new so don't flame me to bad, but I was wondering where I should start w/ a stock 93 civic DX, Im the original owner so Ive had the car for awhile never got around to mod'in it yet, been busy tinkering with small block V8's and am just getting into imports. its stock 1.5L SOHC 16 Valve engine 5 speed.
body is in great condition engine has 190k on it but it still runs great (clutch is starting to go though).

is this engine worth rebuilding? or should I just swap in a vtec or something? anything to get me headed in the right direction, I think the car definatley has alot of potential.
any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
NO, the engine is not worth building up. Whats your budget? What times do you want to hit? a b18c1 (integra GS-R) will make your car haul ass. Go to Honda Motors Online to look at engines, andHonda Swap to get some info on swaps. Your car has ALOT of potential, besides the crx, and the vx/cx hatch, you have one of the lightest hondas. You will be able to smoke alotta cars with a b18c1 engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!, thats the kinda info I needed, looks like the b18c1 is well within my buget. I figured on dropping about 5k into the car , that should cover the engine and a few other goodies, I'm not worried about putting too much into the exterior or anything right now, performance first, looks second, plus I'd rather have a sleeper anyway ;).

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Well done .. your probably the smartest newbie in history on SHO. But yea, the b18c1 is a FINE choice, and you'll smoke many a cars. What i would do is get the engine, beef up the suspension, get good tires, and try to "compliment" the engine with intake, exhaust, pullys ... just whatever you can get with the money you have.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well I think everyone has given you some of the best ideas. I would personally, if your budget can handle it, do an LS/VTEC or a B20/VTEC swap. Just make sure you have an experienced person build it for you. But then again you may want to learn a little about it before you jump into it. Basically by using the blocks with larger bores you get more torque for low end and then adding the VTEC head gives you the high end. That way you have the best of both worlds. I hope everyone's comments have helped you. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
depending on the budget u r on if its really tight i would save up for a D16Z6 92-95 sohc motor the complete change over would cost about 500.00 to 800.00 Appx... Beleave me, now if u want to go with a b16a or a b18c1, those motor halls ass u fell so invinceable i had a 98 hatch with b18c 1and a 94 hatch with a b18c1 now i have i 93 hatch almost perfect condition for only 800 billls. so now i might go either d16z or b16a there both good motor but that b16a has that extra 45 pony's so race safe and smart.

·
Registered
583 Posts
NeoMatrix:
depending on the budget u r on if its really tight i would save up for a D16Z6 92-95 sohc motor the complete change over would cost about 500.00 to 800.00 Appx... Beleave me, now if u want to go with a b16a or a b18c1, those motor halls ass u fell so invinceable i had a 98 hatch with b18c 1and a 94 hatch with a b18c1 now i have i 93 hatch almost perfect condition for only 800 billls. so now i might go either d16z or b16a there both good motor but that b16a has that extra 45 pony's so race safe and smart.
Hey, I'm in the middle of building a d16y7 with mini-me (VTEC head), but if I had 5 bills to drop on my car, I definently go with a b-series just because there is a little more (actually a lot) for potential out of them. The B18c1 is a great engine, you'll love it a lot, It has a lot of potential, and you'll beable to get it over the 200 crank hp pretty easily with the extra 2000 you will have left over, but make sure you go with the JDM version cause of the extra compression. Where are you from by the way?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys thanks for all the good info, Im probably gonna go w/ the JDM b18c1 , now just gotta find the best price, Im gonna look locally first before I go and order one.
also gotta get new rotors and new suspension, she's ridin' pretty rough these days.

. .. iquark, Im from South Florida.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Oh, Do you guys have smog test in Florida?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope we dont have any emissions/smog testing down here
only been down here for 2 years, I'm originally from Philly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts