Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...I usually post in the Accord forum, but we just bought a 94 Civic EX...it has 109875 miles on it and we are giving it a complete tune up...plugs, wires,filters, all fuilds, breaks, etc. My thing is that as I was driving it home from the used car dealer, it turned off on me once and the first thing i thought was the the plugs and wires are not too good, that was a given. Then as i was getting of the highway of Yankees Stadium to go on the local streets the car was in gear but it did not move forward, the engine would rev but no movement...I corrected this by turning the car off and then starting it up again...I had to do this a few times again until I finally reached home like an hour and a half later, in the snow. I was thinking that maybe the transmittion is bad, bc everytime it would do that, rev but no movement or hardly any movement. If so, about how much does a transmition cost or how much to fix it...Keep in mind we only paid $2400 for the car. Also what other scenarios should we keep in mind if its not the transmition?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I'm assuming it's an automatic transmission?

I don't really know too much about those....try changing the fluid?

if not, do an auto-manual conversion :)

If it's a stickshift then it sounds like the clutch is bad

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its most likely the transmission, It probably has no fluid in it, thats what happen to me one time when the engine would rev but the car wouldnt move. I would have taken it back to the dealer if it was acting weird on the way home from the place u bought it!

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
02AccordBigBoi said:
Hey all...I usually post in the Accord forum, but we just bought a 94 Civic EX...it has 109875 miles on it and we are giving it a complete tune up...plugs, wires,filters, all fuilds, breaks, etc. My thing is that as I was driving it home from the used car dealer, it turned off on me once and the first thing i thought was the the plugs and wires are not too good, that was a given. Then as i was getting of the highway of Yankees Stadium to go on the local streets the car was in gear but it did not move forward, the engine would rev but no movement...I corrected this by turning the car off and then starting it up again...I had to do this a few times again until I finally reached home like an hour and a half later, in the snow. I was thinking that maybe the transmittion is bad, bc everytime it would do that, rev but no movement or hardly any movement. If so, about how much does a transmition cost or how much to fix it...Keep in mind we only paid $2400 for the car. Also what other scenarios should we keep in mind if its not the transmition?
either your auto tranny is shot to shit (it happens) or you clutch is shot... clutch is easier/cheaper... just get a new one, if its an auto tranny it could cost you what the car is worth, so if you dont have too many mods involved, no too much in the car, junk it and get a new one...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hobie237 said:
either your auto tranny is shot to shit (it happens) or you clutch is shot... clutch is easier/cheaper... just get a new one, if its an auto tranny it could cost you what the car is worth, so if you dont have too many mods involved, no too much in the car, junk it and get a new one...

i was told that I could get a good used tranny for about $350, if i need it...so thats not that bad, still waiting on the overall diagnostics on the tranny which should be tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.