Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first car...an $800 1995 Civic coupe EX. I love this car, it's in good hands too...I take care of problems myself when I can.

It has recently decided to start overheating:(

It leaks no coolant beneath it, yet needs refills every 2 days or so.

My buddy runs a smog shop where he opened the radiator cap, started the car and held a test probe over the opening to test for Hydrocarbons (Like if my head gasket was blown or my head was cracked.)

I've recently noticed the boiling sound I've always heard when shutting my car off was coolant spraying out underneath the cap of the overfill tank.

I thought perhaps that was where the coolant was going, so I bought a new overfill tank and cap, but the dealership told me I was crazy...It couldn't evaporate that quickly from that.

It overheated again leaving the dealership...I went to AutoZone and bought a 16 dollar replacement thermostat despite the fact the top radiator hose was hot to the touch...The thermostat was the wrong size (fucking AZ)...So i'm running it with no Thermo now...It hasn't overheated yet but I loaded it with coolant yesterday...I'm sure it'll evaporate again but WHERE IS THIS COOLANT GOING???

Any Ideas? :cry

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's gotta be burning up...........does it seem like the motor is running crappy then suddenly get better?? Casue I've seen that a billion times. It runs bad casue of the coolent entering the combustion chamber. then when all the coolent is burned up it runs better. Also check for White smoke out the exhaust. It'll have that "Sweet" smell like coolent.

The only other thing I can think of is...........did anyone do the Water pump?? Casue it could be leaking from there, behind the timing covers and drying up before it can hit the ground......or maybe it is leaking to the ground and you just havn't looked there.

Aks you buddy if he knows about the Blue Liquid..........It's a Blue fluid in a Sucker system that pulling in the gases from the Radiator. If the BLue turns to Yellow then you def have a Blown Head Gasket. No question aobut it.....that test has never been wrong about it being blown. It's not 100% though.......I can be blown and stay blue.........but if it goes Yellow then there's no question.

Good luck
Hope you find it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No leaks, No white smoke

There are definately no leaks, nor white smoke...

But, acceleration is kinda boggy at first then normal at around 4000 RPM...Also sometimes VTEC won't kick in even with my foot to the floor on the gas pedal.

My buddy says get a water temp and oil pressure gauge.

I took the thermostat out, but I don't think that is the problem cuz the top radiator hose is always hot.

Any more ideas guys?

Much obliged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.