Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, one of my friends bought my brothers old 95 civic hatch and the kid told me that he was going to put a dohc zc into his civic.
so i have some qeustions.
1. Arent ZC's 88-91 civic/crx's?
2.Is this swap even worth anything?(it has a dx motor in it now)

here are some parts on the car now, V2 intake,dc header,thermal exhaust.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
kevin13 said:
ok, one of my friends bought my brothers old 95 civic hatch and the kid told me that he was going to put a dohc zc into his civic.
so i have some qeustions.
1. Arent ZC's 88-91 civic/crx's?
2.Is this swap even worth anything?(it has a dx motor in it now)

here are some parts on the car now, V2 intake,dc header,thermal exhaust.
zcs came in that generation 88-91 civic sedan. not the crx. its a great swap, but illegal. you can only swap the same or newer obd engine into your vehicle. unless you wanna convert the zc to obd1. but it is a dohc d series motor, cheap to swap, and you can likely use the same motor mounts and even the same mods. also good for turbo due to low comp and dohc. what motor is in the car now? clean hatch ;)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Correction. There are two generations of ZC's that came out in Japan, one came in the 88-91's and one came in the 92-95's. So no it wouldn't be illegal as far as putting an older engine into a newer car since they made the ZC for the 92-95's. I'm not sure what the laws are in your state.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yep, the newer version doesnt have PGM-FI badge on the intake manifold.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok ill check if it has that badge or not.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ksniperfox said:
what motor is in the car now? clean hatch ;)
it has a 95 dx motor.
hes some stuff it has:
cf hood
cf lip
gsr seats f+R (grey)
short shifter
skunk2 coils w/ ajustible shocks kyb
16in" team loco wheels

·
Registered
269 Posts
kevin13 said:
it has a 95 dx motor.
hes some stuff it has:
cf hood
cf lip
gsr seats f+R (grey)
short shifter
skunk2 coils w/ ajustible shocks kyb
16in" team loco wheels
im sure that puts along like crap lol j/kin, but im sure thats one tired motor. I was kinda thinking about something like that and i honestly dont care that it doesnt have vtec. I WAS wondering why i saw some on jspec motors, and i myself wondered if it would be worth it over a d15b.

It has 9:1 compression (great turbo stuff), but not too much aftermarket as far as heads go. I meen, ive seen valvesprings and stuff but you might have one helluva a time finding anything beyond that.

But, on http://www.jspecautosports.com/ you can get one w/ the trani for about 1100 so thats completly refreshing an otherwise tired car, plus the rods are beefier then any other D series (as far as i know). I wonder how far theyd last concidering a normal D only goes as far as 200 before stuff starts snaping, but if you can get about 230 hp safely im sure that would at least be a mid 13s car with a udsm SI trani

·
Registered
714 Posts
They come with PM6 Rods. Which are the same as the Y8/Z6/A6 etc...the Y5 has different rods although.

·
Registered
417 Posts
ksniperfox said:
zcs came in that generation 88-91 civic sedan. not the crx. its a great swap, but illegal. you can only swap the same or newer obd engine into your vehicle. unless you wanna convert the zc to obd1. but it is a dohc d series motor, cheap to swap, and you can likely use the same motor mounts and even the same mods. also good for turbo due to low comp and dohc. what motor is in the car now? clean hatch ;)
DOHC ZCs came in various models of JDM cars:

84-87 JDM Civic Si and 84-87 JDM CRX Si had the 1st gen DOHC ZC, sometimes called the "browntop" ZC - 133 hp - 9.3:1 compression ratiovacuum advance ignition timing - bolts right into 1st gen CRX, 3d gen Civic and 86-87 Integra

86-89 JDM Integra had a version of the same engine, but had electronic advance ignition timing - bolts right into 88-89 Integra (will bolt into CRX and Civic but requires wiring changes for electronic advance ignition)

88-91 JDM Civic Si and 88-91 JDM CRX Si had the 2nd gen DOHC ZC - 130hp - 9.56:1 compression ratio - OBD0 - bolts right into 2d gen CRX and 4th gen Civic

92-95 JDM Civic Ferio RTi and some Integra models had the 3rd gen DOHC ZC - 130hp - 9.56:1 compression ratio - OBD1 - bolts right into EG Civics

·
Registered
417 Posts
don't be fooled by advertised horsepower on any of these engines - both the DOHC ZC and the D16Z6 engines are supposedly 130hp:

here is a typical dyno chart for a stock D16Z6 with I/H/E:

here is typical dyno chart for DOHC ZC with I/H/E:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nice numbers. Also, i guess i was thinkin those integra ZC's when i said ZC's have stronger rods. But in the end, since you are geting the motor out of the car anyways you might wanna do some internal part replacement while its simple/clean to do. Its a good alternative to going with another high compression zc, and its a cheaper solution then a b16 setup but just do your research

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wpw those dinos are helpful thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.