Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my Del Sol form my uncle and have been thoroughly pleased with the exception of one thing. POWER!!! The engine in it is a D15B7 and is way weak! I am aware that the Del Sol came with better engines and being it is a Honda, one is capable of swapping for even better types. I must admit I am fairly good at working on cars but I have very little experience with Honda. What I am leaning towards is one of the VTEC engines but I am leary of changing every single bolt. Which engine would you recommend for the greatest gain with the least amount of hassle?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much hate will i feel with the B18 Swap? I'm assuming the B18B1?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible to do a B20 in that engine space?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks blue and that makes sense on the weight problem. I was wondering about the sub differences on the B18 ie:A1,B1, C, C1, C3, and C4 any thing I should worry about when shopping?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no worries I'm leaning towards the B18 as soon as I learn a little more!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much torque loss would I be looking at with entry level cams and so forth?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard the B18C was pushing 200hp stock vs. B18B was only 140 to 150. Why not go with that one?

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
I heard the B18C was pushing 200hp stock vs. B18B was only 140 to 150. Why not go with that one?
b18c is the designation for the japanese integra gsr (sir-g)178hp and the type R 195

in the U.S. the b18c1 is the gsr and it makes 8 less hp than the jspec (8 hp means nothing in a race)

the u.s. type r is the b18c5 190-195hp.

the b18b is the dohc non-vtec motor makes 142hp. it's is substantially cheaper than any of the previous motors. you can get the type r if you want to spend 3500 dollars to make 160whp with type r (waste of money)

or you can get a b18b for hundreds of dollars throw some 250-300 dollar cams at it. an ebay intake for 40 bucks, a 250 dollar header, an ebay 200 dollar exhaust while using a gsr tranny and walk gs-r's and hang with type r's at half the price. unless you're trying for a 190-220whp n/a build don't waste your money on a vtec motor. btw a 190-220whp build on any of these motors will set you back several thousand dollars.

you're better off getting a b18b and a small trim t3/t4 turbo and smoking any of the configurations i just listed

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my town the local favorite is the mustang GT with very little mods.(intake and exhaust at best!) I just want to slap them around a little!:wackchair

· Registered
478 Posts
One vote for turbocharged LS motor. Or you could always build and turbo the D series. Hell anything is better than a stock D15. But if you want to toast the GTs you definitely want to go with forced induction.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The more I look I'm liking the B18B and the prices for one on ebay pretty damn good! How much boost should I look for on the turbo?

· Registered
261 Posts
b18c is the designation for the japanese integra gsr (sir-g)178hp and the type R 195

in the U.S. the b18c1 is the gsr and it makes 8 less hp than the jspec (8 hp means nothing in a race)

the u.s. type r is the b18c5 190-195hp.

the b18b is the dohc non-vtec motor makes 142hp. it's is substantially cheaper than any of the previous motors. you can get the type r if you want to spend 3500 dollars to make 160whp with type r (waste of money)

or you can get a b18b for hundreds of dollars throw some 250-300 dollar cams at it. an ebay intake for 40 bucks, a 250 dollar header, an ebay 200 dollar exhaust while using a gsr tranny and walk gs-r's and hang with type r's at half the price. unless you're trying for a 190-220whp n/a build don't waste your money on a vtec motor. btw a 190-220whp build on any of these motors will set you back several thousand dollars.

you're better off getting a b18b and a small trim t3/t4 turbo and smoking any of the configurations i just listed
:number1 DAMN RIGHT turbo FTW:D i have a d16 turbo and smoke all the mustangs in my town.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea just because they got a 'stang they all think they are the shit! Time for some serious education!

· Registered
478 Posts
There's a rather tough learning curve on using turbochargers. You have a lot of research to do. Also as long as you're going to have some time while the block is out of vehicle before you do the swap you may as well make an improvement or two. Rods and pistons being the important part.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was planning on when I get the B18B to give everything a good once over but with the way everyone talks about skunk2 I just might have to increase my budget!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.