Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 96 Accord, 4 cylinder, and just recently, my engine shut off without hesitation or anything when I was driving only 20mph and once last week when I was in reverse. Any suggestions on what I should do and what the problem is would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have you had the ignition switch (electrical) swapped out due to the recall?

No, not while I've had the car, but I've had it only since February of this year. Could it be the ignition switch causing the problem?

·
Registered
579 Posts
absolutely bro. The switch tends to go bad between 130-160K on the odometer. I would call your local honda service center and make the earliest appointment you can to get the switch swapped out. My switch literally almost killed me so its nothing to goof around with plus on top of that its free. Also with your car there was a problem with the emissions being too high over 100K (especially in CA) so at 150K (most dealerships will let it slide down to 125K) they will also give you a free tune up, air filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, dist cap, and rotor button free of charge (who could ask for more?).

If the problem persist we can always help you diagnose the issue but lets start with the easiest causes first.

Peace bro

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
absolutely bro. The switch tends to go bad between 130-160K on the odometer. I would

Thanks man, I truly appreciate your help greatley. The thing is my car has 83,300 some miles on it, would Honda still swap out the ignition switch for free? Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
what years is this an issue with? I have a 94 EX...
I believe the problem was from 94-97 on the ignition switch. Even though you only have 80K on the car by federal law they still must swap the ignition switch and while your there they will also perform another recall on the AC compressor wires. Due to your mileage I am not sure if they will give you a free tune-up but I would hit them up for it anyway since its probably time for one just from age.

Peace bro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.