Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi i have a 96 honda civic lx 4dr, stick shift, im new and well my uncle is a mechanic and he usualy fixes up my car, but right now i really want to learn, i kno a bit of auto body since i worked at martino bros in toronto.
but right now my main question is what is EG, eg6, ek wat do they stand for?

second, i dont have too much money to spend on my car, i have $200 a month to spend on the car, so what would be a good investment for the car, also i paitined the interior, but not the clothes (the carpets, fabric on the door panels, windshied the ceiling fabric.) im not the best at termanology :p.

ok well im planing on putting a b16 engine onto the car, but right now my engine is in mint condition nothin is wrong with it, its only 120km and the only thing needed on it is a new timing belt. so are there any performance parts that i can buy that i can use on both engines, the stock n the b16.

and i really kept the car in the best condition n i want to keep it for a long time, so i dont want any parts that would deminish the long life of the engines. (if that even happens)

only thing i got is a few cosmetic stuff, like taillights, n mugen grille,

i am looking for a mugen lip kit. if i can find one. also im trying to find a jdm fog lights for it, what i noticed is that its not like the other bumpers i seen so far, it doesnt have a sperate slot for the fog lights, is there a way of just changing my bumper to a 97 bumper, cuz the 97 has it. for some reason:S

·
Registered
122 Posts
please don't get a b16... they are not worth the time... get a b18... with 200 a month you should just save your money up for the swap... if thats the route you are willing to go... you could also boost your engine ( the d series)...

most parts that fit a D will not fit a B...

oh also if you have alteeza tail lights... switch them back to stock before posting any photos on here... ( i might have just saved you 15 harsh posts lol)

EG eg6 and ek are body styles of civic hatches... the ek has a reenforced chasis.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Hi i have a 96 honda civic lx 4dr, stick shift, im new and well my uncle is a mechanic and he usualy fixes up my car, but right now i really want to learn, i kno a bit of auto body since i worked at martino bros in toronto.
but right now my main question is what is EG, eg6, ek wat do they stand for?

second, i dont have too much money to spend on my car, i have $200 a month to spend on the car, so what would be a good investment for the car, also i paitined the interior, but not the clothes (the carpets, fabric on the door panels, windshied the ceiling fabric.) im not the best at termanology :p.

ok well im planing on putting a b16 engine onto the car, but right now my engine is in mint condition nothin is wrong with it, its only 120km and the only thing needed on it is a new timing belt. so are there any performance parts that i can buy that i can use on both engines, the stock n the b16.

and i really kept the car in the best condition n i want to keep it for a long time, so i dont want any parts that would deminish the long life of the engines. (if that even happens)

only thing i got is a few cosmetic stuff, like taillights, n mugen grille,

i am looking for a mugen lip kit. if i can find one. also im trying to find a jdm fog lights for it, what i noticed is that its not like the other bumpers i seen so far, it doesnt have a sperate slot for the fog lights, is there a way of just changing my bumper to a 97 bumper, cuz the 97 has it. for some reason:S
EG, EK, EJ8 - all are chassis codes that pertain to specific models...if I remember correctly, you have an EJ6 if it's a 4 dr Lx '96.

As for a good "investment" in your car, well that depends on what your plans are for the car - is it going to be your daily driver, just to get you from A to B? Do you plan to auto-x, drag, track it in any way? That will affect what you put your money into. The first thing I would do is make sure all the maintenance is up to date and that everything is in good working order.

The B16 is lame and not worth the money IMO, if I were you I would wait to swap until you can get something worthwhile...or just boost what ya got...

And the fogs for the 96-98 Civic go in the gap in the bumper...they're square. It's the 99-00 that has a specific slot in the bumper for the fogs...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
please don't get a b16... they are not worth the time... get a b18... with 200 a month you should just save your money up for the swap... if thats the route you are willing to go... you could also boost your engine ( the d series)...

most parts that fit a D will not fit a B...

oh also if you have alteeza tail lights... switch them back to stock before posting any photos on here... ( i might have just saved you 15 harsh posts lol)

EG eg6 and ek are body styles of civic hatches... the ek has a reenforced chasis.

thanks for the advise, and umm i like the car to look as good as it can perform, and i guess that goes under the category of a "ricer" bo im thinking of changing my interior, thinking of putting a carpet on top of the on that is already there, (after cleaning the orginal carpet ofcourse) maybe glue it the the original carpet, i wanna put the carpet thats like the type R mats that u can get. wouldnt that be a cool idea:p

i got alot of ideas, and ur right about the taillight, but what can i do it came with it :( what tail lights should i get instead?

oh did anyone else hear that parts in north america are getting cheaper because of the ressesion?

also the bumper i currently have is the one in the first pic.... do u know if i can fit in the other bumper, just because it looks better:p

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EG, EK, EJ8 - all are chassis codes that pertain to specific models...if I remember correctly, you have an EJ6 if it's a 4 dr Lx '96.

As for a good "investment" in your car, well that depends on what your plans are for the car - is it going to be your daily driver, just to get you from A to B? Do you plan to auto-x, drag, track it in any way? That will affect what you put your money into. The first thing I would do is make sure all the maintenance is up to date and that everything is in good working order.

The B16 is lame and not worth the money IMO, if I were you I would wait to swap until you can get something worthwhile...or just boost what ya got...

And the fogs for the 96-98 Civic go in the gap in the bumper...they're square. It's the 99-00 that has a specific slot in the bumper for the fogs...
oh alright thank you that helped alot, and yes im going to be useing this car as a daily driver, the maintanence are up to date, going to toronto this weekend to go get my timing belt and water pump installed, (my uncle is gonna do it for me:p) also does it matter what kind of timing belt/waterpump i get, like an aftermarket or an oem?

·
Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
oh alright thank you that helped alot, and yes im going to be useing this car as a daily driver, the maintanence are up to date, going to toronto this weekend to go get my timing belt and water pump installed, (my uncle is gonna do it for me:p) also does it matter what kind of timing belt/waterpump i get, like an aftermarket or an oem?
oem

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
wanting your car to look good is not ricer, doing gay shit to it is...altezzas = rice PERIOD.

And if you want type-r red carpet, replace the carpet you have now - don't try to just layer it on top of the existing carpet...I can just see that ending in disaster.

As for the 99-00 bumper, in order to make it work you need a whole lot of parts - fenders, hood, headlights, etc. Can't just replace the bumper, it won't fit right...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Definetly spend the extra couple bucks and go with oem parts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wanting your car to look good is not ricer, doing gay shit to it is...altezzas = rice PERIOD.

And if you want type-r red carpet, replace the carpet you have now - don't try to just layer it on top of the existing carpet...I can just see that ending in disaster.

As for the 99-00 bumper, in order to make it work you need a whole lot of parts - fenders, hood, headlights, etc. Can't just replace the bumper, it won't fit right...
oh one thing is that i hate red, i never liked that color, blue suits me better :p... so thats the only thing keeping me from actually going and buying those carpets, also i hate how my car doesnt have an rpm meter on the cluster, i actutally had to go and buy an rpm gauge and let me tell u its only 3 1/2 inches, but its buttt ugly... do you think i can just change them to a different cluster with an rpm meter? also if i can change them, what year and model cluster should i get :p...
once again thanks for the help, really appreciate it:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, you can change the cluster to a model with a tach. Any 96-00 model cluster w/ a tach should fit fine as far as I know...
ok cool, have u seen the vader cluster gauges, those look sick!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
doesn't ring a bell, post a link. my car's a stupid slushbox so changing the gauges is pretty much a waste...
i dont have the link only the pic, im looking for the site though...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts