Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a newb and my friend has a 96 gsr and i will be replacing his rear motor mount for him, Is there any problems that i should be aware of??

Does the exhaust have to be moved to the side??

i searched and apparently the search link wasnt working

Thanks

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
honstly it is a bitch... youll need to actually take out the engine to get to it. first diconnect everything, the support the engine with a hoist, then disconect the mounts, lift the engine, take out old mount, put in new mount, put engine in, move it forward, attach the rear mount, then the others, then reconnect everything. its not complicated but is a bitch, and make sure you have a helms to help you with that...what i posted is very basic, helms has the step by step. this is the only way i know of, inorder to get the torque wrench in there atleast.
quikflip

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
the rear motor mount is really hard to replace because the GSR intake manifold is so big that you have a little clearance around the rear motor mount. It'll be a easier task if u are plannin to upgrade the intake manifold, so when u remove the manifold that u'll have a better clearance to take off ur rear motor mount too.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

as you can see, the back of the mount is somewhat between the crossmember and the firewall (more like under the firewall). there are two bolts back there, and i dont see how youd be able to remove/tighten those with the engine still in place. they are suppose to be tightened to 43 foot lbs, but i guess if you want to just make them as tight as you can with just a regular wrench with no measurement...i guess you can do that too. at least your going to have to remove the intake manifold to get there.
quikflip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i see, thanks for the pic at first i didnt believe u but now i see what you're talking about. I 've replaced motor mounts on a sentra se-r and stratus r/t before but it was not this complicated. I have never removed the intake manifold off a motor before, how hard can this be for this car and are there any things that i should know of before doing it?

Thanks for your replies

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Actually you don't have to take the engine out to replace it. But its a very time comsuming job. It would be better if you were going to do some other work on the cart though.

It has been done with the ES motor mounts so its doable. Is there any reason for replacing the rear motor mount?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
superwhite2005 said:
I have never removed the intake manifold on a car before, is it just unbolting it and moving it to the side???

Please help
Thanks
there are quite a few vaccuum lines that are connected to it too, and some electrical conectors also. look into a helms manual for specifics
quikflip

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.