Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a little while ago, i put too much oil in my engine, cus there was a leak and my dipstick wasnt giving accurate readings, etc. anyway, it was my oil pan gasket. got it fixed and it now runs pretty smooth. the only thing is that around 1500 rpms (it only occurs here) i hear a rattling noise from my engine bay. i think it is my rod bearings or main bearings. (somebody told me that if you put too much oil in, then it will fuck up your bearings.) besides that, it runs smooth. im thinking of getting nitrous soon. do you guys think i should get this fixed before i get the nitrous? my car still runs as smooth as it did before it started the rattling, but im just a little scared to put nitrous in it, knowing that one of my internal parts is probably not in peak condition. also, can i just take my car to a shop to get a compression test? thanks

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
if it was bearings ie Rod KNock, you would hear it clearly thruout the whole RPM range. I dont think too much oil will hurt the bearings, but i could be wrong.
Do a comp test and leakdown on it 1st. if that looks good, Id say fuggit. Spray away. Honda motors are soo cheap these days it seems

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
itr206 said:
if it was bearings ie Rod KNock, you would hear it clearly thruout the whole RPM range. I dont think too much oil will hurt the bearings, but i could be wrong.
Do a comp test and leakdown on it 1st. if that looks good, Id say fuggit. Spray away. Honda motors are soo cheap these days it seems
this may be off topic, but what do you think the rattling is? it definately started after i put too much oil in. anway, how much do you think a shop will charge to do the leakdown and comp tests? i kno alot about cars, but it seems i screw something up everytime i touch one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts