Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im new here and this is my first post. I've a 1997 Honda Civic which is now at 167000miles. I've never had any problems with the car since i bought it when it was about 300000 miles. I've been doing the usual service at the local garage and never had any problems.

I usually drive about 100 miles (50 miles each way) a day to go to work and have been doing this for about 3 years without any problems. Two weeks ago i went to visit a relative in a town thats meant i covered about 200 miles in a day (100 miles each way). On my way back i noticed that the temperature gauge was at about 75%. This worried me because i have never seen the temperature gauge above 25% in the 4 years i owned the car.

At 75% i thought it wasnt that bad so i kept going and got home safely. Unforunately i use the car to get to work so i am still using it to get to work. While driving to work, the temperature gauge intermittently goes up and down. I have been driving it for 2 weeks now.

At first it used to go up when i was driving at high speeds in the motorway. No i am noticing that the temperature gauge goes up when i am stuck in traffic. To be honest its a bit confusing because i cant really tell as its not consistent.

Today i went to a place south of London and noticed that it was heating up the slower i drove. So it cant really make its mind up!

The cooland in the radiator is full. There are no leaks on the radiator so i dont really know what the problem is.

This morning i switched the car on and tried to see if the radiator fan was coming on and it didnt come on even once. I waited for about 20 minutes and the car didnt heat up so the fan didnt come on even once. I did check once when i was on my way back from South London when the car was overheating to see if the fan was coming on and didnt see that it was.

The car itself is quite old. I've loved it as its served me well for all the time i've had it. I dont think its worth me spending a lot of money trying to fix it as i can probably buy another one for the amount of money that it might cost me to investigate/fix the problem.

It was dark when i checked the fan so i couldnt check the fan belt. Do these cars have a fan belt and how do i check if its broken? I will again check tomorrow morning to see if the fan will come on and hopefully get a clue as to what the problem is.

From the above can you tell what could be the problem? When i switch it on, it doesnt overheat, it only happens after i've driven it for a while. Could the fact that the overheating is intermittent mean anything?

And finally is it safe to drive it as long as i pull over to cool it down when the temp gauge gets to about 80%?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
temp sensor, thermosta. radiator, gunk in engine.

its only a civic man, its not serious.
process of elimination.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
check....
temperature sensor.
thermostat.
gunk in radiator.
gunk in engine.

process of elimination.

its an old car.
but its just a civic, simple cars. simple problems.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd check what the guys said above..one of those should be it. Since it heats up sometimes when driving fast...sometimes when slower..might be the water pump. If you have had the same antifreeze in there since you have been driving it there is a chance the waterpump has collected rust. I have seen one Honda Civic waterpump(D15B7)where the fins on the impellar were gone thus not allowing it to circulate the coolant through teh block and radiator. What was left of the waterpump was just nothign but rust. I still have that pump floating around cause I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yah i would check what they said too but make sure the fans are coming on. There is no belt cuz they are electric. It could also be the fan temp. switch which would make the fan go on and off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
if it's that old...then you might have to get the radiator cleaned.
you can always get flush to try and clean it out by yourself, but it's probably more effective to take it to a shop and they can take it off and clean it with special tools.
i had that same problem in my car...
the radiator was so clogged i just had to buy a new one and the overheating stopped.
it could be that the fan isn't kicking in when it's supposed to...
unlike the old american cars, the fan doesn't turn on when the car does.
take out the thermostat and put it in a pot of water...bring the pot to a slow boil and see if the thermostat opens up...if it opens, it works, if not...you need a new one.
(i don't know if that's very orthodox, but that's how i was taught to check it... =/ )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts