Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 CR-V with about 80,000 miles on it. I took it into the dealer this morning for an oil change and they said the transmission fluid looked dark and should be changed. Is this typical? They wanted to charge $140 but a local mechanic can do it for $85. Let me know your thoughts.

Mike

P.S. - Is this something I can do myself?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Its a waste of money b/c Honda transmissions don't have filters and it takes less than 10 minutes to do. All you need to do is go to your Honda dealership and buy 3 quarts of Honda ATF and The Transmission Drain Plug Crush Washer. Now put the CRV on jackstands and find the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. Using a 3/8 ratchet with no socket remove the drain plug and drain the ATF. When the draining has finished replace the old crush washer with the new one and tighten the drian plug. Refill the transmission with 2.7 quarts where the transmission dipstick hole is. Start the engine let it run for 10 seconds then shut it off and check the transmission dipstick to make sure the level is right and if it is then your done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response! I appreciate your help and wish you a very Happy New Year!

Mike

ProspeedCTR said:
Its a waste of money b/c Honda transmissions don't have filters and it takes less than 10 minutes to do. All you need to do is go to your Honda dealership and buy 3 quarts of Honda ATF and The Transmission Drain Plug Crush Washer. Now put the CRV on jackstands and find the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. Using a 3/8 ratchet with no socket remove the drain plug and drain the ATF. When the draining has finished replace the old crush washer with the new one and tighten the drian plug. Refill the transmission with 2.7 quarts where the transmission dipstick hole is. Start the engine let it run for 10 seconds then shut it off and check the transmission dipstick to make sure the level is right and if it is then your done!

·
Registered
937 Posts
mmitsch said:
Thanks for your response! I appreciate your help and wish you a very Happy New Year!

Mike
Same goes to you and everyone else HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
this toppis has been debated many times on this board and others. The only way you can truley change your transmission fluid is to completely flush out the old fluid and replace with all new. The first gen CRV trannsmissions hold about 8 quarts of fluid all together. By draining the pan and refilling the pan does not do much. You end up with dirty transmission fluid in the pan 2 seconds after the engine starts. I get my transmission flushed per the manuals recomended intervals at 90k miles and have done it twice. It cost me $85 each time and it was completely flushed on a transmission flushing machine with BG transmission flush. Then the entire transmission is refilled with the full 8 quarts of fluid not just 3. Take it from someone with 200k miles on there 98 CRV; and still running strong. Its definately worth the little extra cost.

·
Registered
937 Posts
promotion said:
this toppis has been debated many times on this board and others. The only way you can truley change your transmission fluid is to completely flush out the old fluid and replace with all new. The first gen CRV trannsmissions hold about 8 quarts of fluid all together. By draining the pan and refilling the pan does not do much. You end up with dirty transmission fluid in the pan 2 seconds after the engine starts. I get my transmission flushed per the manuals recomended intervals at 90k miles and have done it twice. It cost me $85 each time and it was completely flushed on a transmission flushing machine with BG transmission flush. Then the entire transmission is refilled with the full 8 quarts of fluid not just 3. Take it from someone with 200k miles on there 98 CRV; and still running strong. Its definately worth the little extra cost.
Try 5 with a drained Torque Converter.....Now if you are just doing a fluid exchange then 2.7 will do it. I work at a Honda dealership and been there over 1 1/2 years I am a service tech and 2.7qts is the magic number. Plus there is NO PAN on any honda transmission. If you don't know what you are talking about then DON'T POST!! You have been getting ripped off if it is costing you $85 per fluid exchange. Take it from me I AM RIGHT!

·
Registered
256 Posts
ProspeedCTR said:
Try 5 with a drained Torque Converter.....Now if you are just doing a fluid exchange then 2.7 will do it. I work at a Honda dealership and been there over 1 1/2 years I am a service tech and 2.7qts is the magic number. Plus there is NO PAN on any honda transmission. If you don't know what you are talking about then DON'T POST!! You have been getting ripped off if it is costing you $85 per fluid exchange. Take it from me I AM RIGHT!

:sleep ooohh 1 1/2 years, thats practically a lifetime of experience. I have owned and maintained my CRV for six times that amount of time and have owned, maintained and built Hondas for about 18 years; which Im guessing thats probably about your age since thats about the age when people seem to have ALL the answers.

Never the less, flushing the transmission is a much better way to go since flushing will clean out all the sludge as well. So, if I got ripped off for spending $85 to prevent my transmission from failing, then so be it. But, I suppose replacing a $2400 transmission is better than spending $85 every four to five years to keep your transmission fresh. By the way, the AWD CRV transmission holds 7.2 quarts not 5; still quite a bit more than what you are recomending be replaced. Its the same thing as only replacing one quart of motor oil when you change your engine oil; maybe you could recomend that at your Honda dealer job as well. "Yea, just replace the filter and and one quart of oil; changing all five quarts is a rip off." Im sure your customers would apreciate the money you are saving them. :rolleyes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes you are 100% correct! I have a 97 CR-V with 391,000mi on it and have been doing it that way since 99!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts