Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 97 integra special ed, with 4 cyl 1.8 engine, and I ran into a strange problem today. After park my car at office parking lot whole day. When I ready to leave, I can start the car with remote, then when I tab the break, the engine stop. If I use the key to start, engine turn, but when I turn the key to on, engine stop, and all the instrument light went off.

The car was running perfectly this morning. The check engine light went on the first time. I would like to find out if there is a way to keep the engine running, or I have to tow the car.

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
It could possibly be mechanical, but since you said the car shuts off when you hit the break, I'm thinking it has to do with your command start.

When you start the car with the remote, the brake pedal shuts off the car if the key is not in the ignition to the "ON" position.

Can you explain a bit more clearly what happens when you try to start the car normally with the key?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could possibly be mechanical, but since you said the car shuts off when you hit the break, I'm thinking it has to do with your command start.

When you start the car with the remote, the brake pedal shuts off the car if the key is not in the ignition to the "ON" position.

Can you explain a bit more clearly what happens when you try to start the car normally with the key?
For the normal start, when the key is in ON position, "Check Engine", "ABS", "Break" lights on; turn the key to "Start" position, engine start; but, once I returned the key to "ON" position. engine stop; and all the instrument lights went of - as if I put the key to off; but, the radio still on at this time. (so it is not the same as the key in "Off" position.

When I did the remote start, the key was in "ON" position; at this time, with gear set to "P", I can tab the gas and engine pickup from 800 to 2000 rpm. But, when I push the break (to change gear), engine shut off, instrument light off.

Thanks for any suggestions.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
For the normal start, when the key is in ON position, "Check Engine", "ABS", "Break" lights on; turn the key to "Start" position, engine start; but, once I returned the key to "ON" position. engine stop; and all the instrument lights went of - as if I put the key to off; but, the radio still on at this time. (so it is not the same as the key in "Off" position.

When I did the remote start, the key was in "ON" position; at this time, with gear set to "P", I can tab the gas and engine pickup from 800 to 2000 rpm. But, when I push the break (to change gear), engine shut off, instrument light off.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Okay, let's break this down:

Those lights coming on when the key is at "ON" is OKAY. That should happen.

Then you start the engine. How long does it take the engine to shut off once your key is back to the "ON" position? Some of the dash lights SHOULD go off once the car is started.

I think it's related to your command start. I would take it to where you got the remote installed, and tell them the car shuts off when you hit the brake (even when the key is in the ignition).

Will the car STAY ON if you just leave it in "P"?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, let's break this down:

Those lights coming on when the key is at "ON" is OKAY. That should happen.

Then you start the engine. How long does it take the engine to shut off once your key is back to the "ON" position? Some of the dash lights SHOULD go off once the car is started.

I think it's related to your command start. I would take it to where you got the remote installed, and tell them the car shuts off when you hit the brake (even when the key is in the ignition).

Will the car STAY ON if you just leave it in "P"?
Thanks - some more details; when I start the normal way - after start the engine, immediately after I turn the key back to on, the engine stop, and the lights include "Break", "Seat belt warning" went off the same time.

The car will stay on if I leave it in the P, but I can not drive it. Is there a way that I can disable the remote ? This is a pre-owned car, I don't even know where was the remote installed.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Actually, yes, usually there is a toggle switch around where your knees are when you sit in the driver's seat. Look around that area for a switch.

Otherwise, just try to find a shop that installs these remote starts and just give them a phone call explaining the situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.