Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get decently priced suspension that has good performance. What should I get? Where should I get it? Advice from test and proved set ups

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
do you want full coilovers or shocks struts and spings? what kind of racing do you want to do. how many miles do you plan on putting on the suspension, how much ride comfort do you want?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looking for aggressive driving on the street and auto cross once in a while. No coilovers to expensive for me. SPrings and struts for me, not tring to break the bank. Ive been shopping around and see that alot of manufactures offer full kits, are these worth it? Wat set ups work from experience? is 500 dollars enough for a decent set-up?

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
Just looking for aggressive driving on the street and auto cross once in a while. No coilovers to expensive for me. SPrings and struts for me, not tring to break the bank. Ive been shopping around and see that alot of manufactures offer full kits, are these worth it? Wat set ups work from experience? is 500 dollars enough for a decent set-up?
you can get a whole setup for under 400. about 350 if you shop online. you can get godspeed coilovers for 630 shipped

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i think i decided what combo im gonna get, what do you guyus think? any sugestions or changes?

H&R Sport Spring Set 187.00
KYB GR-2 240.00

Is there any cheaper places to get these items?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
If you can afford it, I'd go with Koni shocks. The GR2s are crap... even Tokico non-adjustables are better. Good choice for springs though. Make sure to get an alignment when you're done.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
i got my gr-2 shocks and struts for 160shipped. i'm a budget so i couldn't pass them up :cry

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Koni Yellows, or at least Koni Reds (softer, only internally adjustable which means you adjust them before you install). Not sure on a good vendor as I haven't bought anything for my car besides race tires in years.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the H&R Sport springs. Now im tring to decide between Koni reds or koni yellows, are the yellows worth that much over the red? Besides the on car adjustability of the reds what else do they have over the yellows? Also can i mix and match reds and yellows? for example reds up front and yellows out back?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As always some research on Google has led me to a totally different avenue,lol. I'm scratching the spring and shock for a more compact race inspired Coil-Over System. Particularly the Skunk2 Pro C Coilovers or the Pro S Coilover kit. I went on the Skunk2 website and researched more from the manufacturer and see that the Pro S in a nonadjustable dual-tube and the Pro C is adjustable.

Is the extra price for the adjutability worth it?

Does anyone here have either set-up?

Or can I just buy the Skunk2 Adjustable Coilover Kit for $241.20 and add my own shock package? If so whats a good shock for this Skunk2 kit?

90-01 Acura Integra Skunk2 Adjustable Coilover Kit Octane Motorsports

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
In addition to on-car adjustability, the yellows have significantly more aggressive damping rates. They are quite different altogether. With that in mind, it should go without saying that red & yellow should not be mixed.

Skip the Skunk2 setups and go with Ground Controls and Koni Yellows (or at least Reds). Proven performance and quality, which is not something that can be said for Skunk2's kits.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In addition to on-car adjustability, the yellows have significantly more aggressive damping rates. They are quite different altogether. With that in mind, it should go without saying that red & yellow should not be mixed.

Skip the Skunk2 setups and go with Ground Controls and Koni Yellows (or at least Reds). Proven performance and quality, which is not something that can be said for Skunk2's kits.
That sounds like good advise but not tring to take anything away from your experience but other forums have shown good performance on street with the coil overs, but im not tring to spend to much and tring to keep it some what economic.

By Ground Controls what do you mean? What brand and what type? Are the H&R not good enought?

And what setup are you running?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
If all you want is good street performance, your original idea of H&R Sports and Konis would be a great setup. I mentioned Ground Control (that's the brand) coilovers because you were looking at Skunk2 coilovers. I run GC/Koni Yellows on the street and for autocross racing and they are a great compromise, but if you're sticking to the street then any type of coilover is unnecessary IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If all you want is good street performance, your original idea of H&R Sports and Konis would be a great setup. I mentioned Ground Control (that's the brand) coilovers because you were looking at Skunk2 coilovers. I run GC/Koni Yellows on the street and for autocross racing and they are a great compromise, but if you're sticking to the street then any type of coilover is unnecessary IMO.
Im on the ground-control website now and Im looking at there products. On the kits all i have to do is supply my own shock absorber? The spring comes with the kit? And what else am i going to need? Camber plate?

The car will be a track car in the near future Im getting another daily driver.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Im on the ground-control website now and Im looking at there products. On the kits all i have to do is supply my own shock absorber? The spring comes with the kit? And what else am i going to need? Camber plate?

The car will be a track car in the near future Im getting another daily driver.
Yep, the kit comes with Eibach springs designed specifically for the kit. You can swap them out for springs in pretty much any other spring rate you could want - they make them all. Make sure you buy the kit that works with the shock you are going to use - they have a special Koni version that fits Koni shocks for instance. A camber kit is optional (they make them also). If you're only worried about camber wear on the street, as long as you don't go below -2.0" you should be fine on tire wear as long as you have your toe angle set to 0 when you get your alignment.

This setup would be great for a track car later. The GC/Koni setup is widely known as a great setup that can perform as well as coilover setups 2-3x the price. The best part about them is you can get the ERS springs in different lengths and any spring rate for front and back for cheap (I got my rear springs used for $60/shipped for the pair!) and you can also send Koni Yellows to the factory to be revalved for even more aggressive track damping rates. They can do everything from everyday street performance to auto-x and track racing on a very competitive level, all for a great price.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, the kit comes with Eibach springs designed specifically for the kit. You can swap them out for springs in pretty much any other spring rate you could want - they make them all. Make sure you buy the kit that works with the shock you are going to use - they have a special Koni version that fits Koni shocks for instance. A camber kit is optional (they make them also). If you're only worried about camber wear on the street, as long as you don't go below -2.0" you should be fine on tire wear as long as you have your toe angle set to 0 when you get your alignment.

This setup would be great for a track car later. The GC/Koni setup is widely known as a great setup that can perform as well as coilover setups 2-3x the price. The best part about them is you can get the ERS springs in different lengths and any spring rate for front and back for cheap (I got my rear springs used for $60/shipped for the pair!) and you can also send Koni Yellows to the factory to be revalved for even more aggressive track damping rates. They can do everything from everyday street performance to auto-x and track racing on a very competitive level, all for a great price.
That sounds great where did you get those ERS springs? And what brand is ERS? And do I have to get the special wrench to adjust the spring rate?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im looking at the GC website and they have different models. Im looking at the "STreet Kit", Motor Swap, Show kit. They are all the same price at 299, Is there a difference? Wheres a good place to buy Koni Yellows?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts