Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wrecked my 2000 Accord Coupe V6 so i'm in the market for a car. I came across a 97 Lude, base model for $9K. Itz got 80K miles. Take it or leave it??! How do your Ludes hold up?! Do you think it's too many miles?? Too old?? Do the 97 bsae models have NE specific problems that I should look out for when I go to test it out?!? NE help or advice would be much appreciated.

-Hopefully fellow Luder soon.

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
a 97 with 80k miles for $9k doesn't sound that bad, i love my lude and it holds up wonderfull. Look the car over, does it look like its been taken care of? check the usually things on it. Is this a private seller. ask if you can take it to a mechanic to check it out.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Dunno if its an auto, but the auto trannies in 5th gen ludes are known to have a high lemon rate. People will tell you that Sport Shift ludes are peices of shit, but if you get one that doesn't have a lemon tranny they are great in my opinion, and I have had one for three years/50,000 miles and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, it's a manual 5spd. I wouldn't buy an Auto Lude. How do the manual transmissions hold up? Anything wrong with those??

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
don't 5th gen 5-speeds have syncro problems if they've been abused??

check how the tranny shifts. see if the clutch is worn or if there are any grinds between gears. the auto's are fine if you baby them. my auto is going on 7 years and 61000 miles without a problem. i think downshifting in sportshift mode isn't good for it.

but good luck if you buy it. ludes are a great car.:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Say WHAT??! The 5th gen manual Ludes have synchro problems?? Really!? I had no idea... I don't think a worn down clutch will be that big of a deal, I can just get that replaced but if it's grinding between shifts, I'll definetly back out of buying it. I don't need a lemon right now. And I didn't mean NEthing against Auto Ludes, I just wanted a manual 5spd, as compared to an Auto. NEthing else???

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
no no no no no. i said that ABUSED trannies have had syncro issues, NOT ALL trannies in general. search for it on the board, if it works yet.

edit: searching only gets you this post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts