Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this in the mail today. If it applies to you, you may want to check into this:

Dear Civic Owner:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. What is the reason for this notice?
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the ignition switch on certain 1998-00 Civics.
Electrical contacts in the ignition switch can wear prematurely due to high electrical current passing through the switch. Worn out ignition contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning. Although the engine will restart in most cases, if your engine stalls while driving in traffic or at highway speeds, you're at risk of being involved in a crash. Difficulties starting the engine (for example, hard-to-start, stalls immediately after starting, etc.) may indicate that the ignition switch is failing.
What should you do?
Call any authorized Honda automobile dealer and make an appointment to have your car repaired. The dealer will install an improved ignition switch, free of charge. Please plan to leave your car for at least half a day to allow the dealer flexibility in scheduling.
Who to contact if you experience problems.
If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from your Honda dealer, you may write to:
--"-- =-~,, ~-- --~ ~ --~ -'0" -'0"-- ,.
American Honda Motor Coo, Inc.
Automobile Customer Service
P.O. Box 2964
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
If you believe that American Honda or the dealer has failed or is unable to remedy the defect in your car, without charge, within a reasonable period of time (60 days from the date you first contact the dealer for a repair appointment), you may submit a complaint to:
Administrator
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
400 Seventh Street, SW
Washington, DC 20590
Or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I read about this recall months ago on Motor Trend's website. The best thing to do is call with your VIN to see if your car is included, I learned mine wasn't upon calling the Honda Customer Assistance number. If you don't recieve anything in the mail between now and say November, then your car is ok. If your car is involved, they will need to swap out your ignition switch terminal contacts I believe (from the inside of the column). It did not say anything about a new key (very doubtful it would a new key).

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
see my thing is that they say while driving the car might stall, but i thought that the ignition switch was only used to pass 12 volts through to get the car started, i didnt think there always need to be volatge flowing though. Thta makes no sence, if u get what i am saying.

·
Registered
836 Posts
got the same notice in the mail... just gonna take my car to honda and let them handle it this week.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Phatcivic said:
see my thing is that they say while driving the car might stall, but i thought that the ignition switch was only used to pass 12 volts through to get the car started, i didnt think there always need to be volatge flowing though. Thta makes no sence, if u get what i am saying.
My Del Sol used to die when I was driving it for some reason. It was a pain in the ass, everything would basically lock up, power steering and brakes and it would be a bitch to pull over. First time it happened I was like what the fuck.....?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
i still doubt its the starter, they could be saying it is the ignition switch when in fact its something else.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Phatcivic said:
i still doubt its the starter, they could be saying it is the ignition switch when in fact its something else.
why would they say it was something it wasn't?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have know about this for months, i signed up for that honda woners thing online on hondas web site ill get mind done i a couple of weeks

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
well thing about it, all the starter is used for is to turn over the engine, or allow curent through once. After the car is started the current stops passing through correct?? The only way a car turns off is when u go past teh 2nd turn which only turns the battery on. Get what i am saying. It must be something else along with the ignitions switch that fails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah, i got the letter in the mail today. i've never had any problems or known anyone else who has, but I figure it's better to play it safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts