Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM having a strong debate with my friend right now. I keep saying that the 98-02 ex 5speed accords are vtec. He says they are not. Only the V6 accords are vtec. And the v6 only comes in auto. I know that part. BUt i could have sworn that my friend from LA has a 99 ex 5 speed with vtec controler. SO im stumped. I have a 94 accord, and don't know many people with accords. Can someone answer that question? Even better is there a site where it has the stock specs on accords, or allhondas?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
culmination said:
http://www.geocities.com/honda_club_egypt/engines.htm

make a $1000000000000 bet with your friend. and make sure u give me 10% of the winning. :D :D
inaccurate info on the f22b1 sohc vtec... it says its a dohc non vtec haha... it has the f23 right though, which is what the argument is about. every accord ex 94 and up is vtec, the tranny type doesn't matter.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
there are dohc f22 non-vtec motors around.

anyways, here's a few 6gen engine images i found

my f23a4 before swapping in my h22:

then some other people's 6gens:

i can pull more if you want :tu2:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice Ultra. And thanks culmination. Should have made a bet =) He's actually my cousin, and is ignorant. He keeps saying that the dude in the 360 video issue 5 "shakedown" is a silver 6th gen, non-vtec ex inline 4, turboed. He was talking about the one that was featured in issue 4 and 5. I don't know but i know im right about vtec not just being in v6s and you help proved my point thanks.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
actually, i think the DX may have a non-vtec motor to keep costs down. I know ONE girl w/ a DX 6gen, but I wasn't really into cars when i saw it and never asked to see her engine.....but i'll go check w/ some other people i know. i thought you meant 6gens in general :bh:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
actually, i think the DX may have a non-vtec motor to keep costs down. I know ONE girl w/ a DX 6gen, but I wasn't really into cars when i saw it and never asked to see her engine.....but i'll go check w/ some other people i know. i thought you meant 6gens in general :bh:
i'm pretty sure the 6th gen dx doesn't have vtec... not absolutely positive tho, cuz my mom has a 98 ex :p

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
okay, i did some reading, and yeah, the 6gen DX is the only trim that does NOT have VTEC. :tu:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
GTRluver said:
i wish i had vtec =( i have 94 accord lx (non-vtec)
accord vtec is nothing to brag about

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
easy for you to say you have it. Trust me i don't have vtec and i really wish i had it with the mods i have on my car. 94 accord lx, AEM CAI, DC421, straight pipe, obx exhaust, MSD wires, NGK irridiums, MSD 6al, blaster 2 coil, and 2 step. I have all the fun until about 5,000 rpm. My launchs are pretty good too, because of the 2 step launch control. I always kill my friend with a GSR off the line until about 15 miles then he walks me. NOt just that, my friend with a two door accord ex with similar mods as me without any ignition upgrade kills me. The people on the accordinglydone.com forums are getting vtec heads and ecu swapping them and saying its the best upgrade they've done.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
i don't have the sohc accord vtec motor in my car.....i got rid of it because it sucks hard....great for gas economy and emission friendly, but shit for performance. that's why i threw a dohc vtec motor in there. trust me.....i hated that engine w/ a passion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i don't know but your car is a 6th gen, with that stock motor. People i was talking to in the accordinglydone forums had 5th gens the swapped head and loved it. Iunno why did you hate it so bad? it was vtec even though it was single cam. Would you rather have a non-vtec single cam? and feel like your car is sitting in one place at 5,000 rpm and above? :rolleyes:

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
GTRluver said:
i don't know but your car is a 6th gen, with that stock motor. People i was talking to in the accordinglydone forums had 5th gens the swapped head and loved it. Iunno why did you hate it so bad? it was vtec even though it was single cam. Would you rather have a non-vtec single cam? and feel like your car is sitting in one place at 5,000 rpm and above? :rolleyes:
no....i'd rather have dohc vtec.....thats why i got rid of the sohc vtec motor.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
no....i'd rather have dohc vtec.....thats why i got rid of the sohc vtec motor.
haha... once i get enough money from the army im just gonna buy a used rsx-s or prelude or something so i have dohc vtec :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whoa you in the army? tight. Question, RSX-s arean't faster than the old itr right? Im gonna be selling my car next year between march-august, and have enough money saved, and including the money i recieve after selling the accord, to get another pretty new but used car. I was thinking about the RSX-s or like a 2000-20001 itr in champ white ( those look so clean) either that, or ill just drop the honda/acura thing for awile and go Euro. I was thinking bout the 2003 GTI 20th anniversary , those imo look so clean, looks like the "tease of the the new gti r32 thats gonna be coming out", even has the r32's wheels. I know it'll cost more being its 03 same with the rsx, but im okay with it, just not more then 20gs for me. Another thing is, GTI is stock turbo and with an APR 93 octane program chip, intake, DV valve, inlet pipe and down pipe , it'll be damn fast. My boy with the 337 gti has all that but with a GIAC chip and is running mid 13s. also on the 93 program i think. STock gti is only 180 hp. but i think like 170 torque or more. iunno what's your opinion GI joe?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
the DC5 itr is better than the DC2 itr's....so if you can get the rsx....even the base type....then find the k20 from the type r, you'll be able to haul some serious ass.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i don't like motor swaps for some reason, but i like turbos :D so eventually i will find myself surrendering to the dark side and getting a turbo. I don't know, RSX-s stock kit, type R wing, with type headlights, turbo, or the 01 ITR ChampWhite, JDM front end with turbo...thats a hard one.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
GTRluver said:
well i don't like motor swaps for some reason, but i like turbos :D so eventually i will find myself surrendering to the dark side and getting a turbo. I don't know, RSX-s stock kit, type R wing, with type headlights, turbo, or the 01 ITR ChampWhite, JDM front end with turbo...thats a hard one.
rsx-s = high compression NA engine

high compression NA engine + turbo = blown motor.

don't forget a high power NA engine usually has a lot of valve overlap....which isn't great for a turbo application.

they have turbo'd the k20, but have also built the bottom end to be bullet proof. also, you sacrifice that honda reliability and some other stuff too.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts