Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, ive got a 98 honda civic coupe. i wondering if a 98-02 accord i-4 will drop into my car (kinda like a d, b, or h-series will). i haven't seen much (if any) info on this subject.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
there are no mount kits for the f23 into the civic....plus it's a shitty motor, i dunno why you'd want that POS. (i had a 98 accord and swapped in an h22)

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didn't think there were any mounts for it... but i had the oppurtunity to get and engine tranny, and ecu for only $300... and it has more hp & torque than my d...

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
yah, that driver's side mount is unique. when i swapped to the h22, i had problems w/ it and had to get a custom mount...nothing worked from the 4th or 5th gen prelude and the older accord mounts wouldn't work either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm looking at very similar.....

I'm looking at putting 98-02 F23a1 into my Del sol....

So far:
Radiator: Sol VTEC

1 of 2 ways to actually mount the engine...

Method 1: (also known as The Old Way)

Mount kit... any of the H series mountkits... (look at place racing, HCP, hasport... the kits mention F22..... also, look at what mounts people need to put an H22 into a F22 accord..... just stock mounts...)

Transmission... F23 tranny.. use the shift cables from the F23 tranny.. use the interior shifter from a 90+ (supposedly 93/94 fits best from what I've read)

Axles: Have fun...... options are: accord intermediate shaft, 90-93 integra axles....... (and possible axle binding/popping out)
or.... prelude intermediate shaft, 87-89 integra axle outer halves with prelude inner joints....
or.... custom made axles.

Method 2: Also known as "Why didn't I think of that?"

Use custom adapter plate to mount F series engine to D series transmission....

Supposedly... tranny stays in same place, axles stay the same..... just need to make 2 completely custom drivers side mounts......

As far as hoses:
(h22 swap, but should work)
upper radiator hose: 90 integra LS, trim to fit
Lower radiator hose: 94 Sol VTEC

Heater core hoses? I'm not sure.... find out for me will you?

As far as wiring:...
98-02 F23 is an OBD2b motor..... with a completely different ECU pinout from the 96-98 civic.....

conversion harnesses are available... but I'm not sure exactly how that solves the mess of wiring the engine bay.....

a 96/97 accord SOHC VTEC ecu plugs in with the same wiring pinout (from what I've seen....)...

but thats a 2.2 liter.... so I'm not sure, richen it out a hair somehow? Use better gas and hope the motors long term fuel map adjusts for things?

Other method: OBD2a to OBD1 conversion harness, P28 ECU... and custom chipped fuel map to run the F23.... supposedly this is the best option.... but I don't know if an F23 fuel map is available for a P28..... I'm doing more research into that soon.

Exhaust... I'm guessing a cheap flexible pipe repair kit will work for a few miles... at least to get you to an exhaust shop that could make a custom piece to fit....

brackets: As far as I know.. the only thing I'm likely to lose is AC and power steering... I'm looking at the possibility of an electric power steering pump..

The other possible problem... if the accord ECU has an immobilizer in it.. you may have to get another key for the ecu, and have it installed next to the ECU like they have to do with remote starts, etc.

Another option might be a small resistorpack....

From what I've heard, the F23 upper drivers side mount is slightly different than the F22, so that might be an additional difficulty.

I'll post more as I find it out, I just ask you do the same.

·
Registered
43 Posts
More info:

98-02 F23 uses 3 wire IAC...
D16y8 uses 2 wire IAC...
96-97 F22 uses 2 wire IAC.... and the manifold doesn't look like it'll swap onto a F23 block, nor does the IAC valve look like it will swap onto the F23 manifold....

So... unless someone has a way to send a 2 wire IAC signal into a 3 wire IAC....
we've got a problem.... (or if someone knows a way to put a 2 wire IAC on the 98-02 manifold....)

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the immobilizer is something the dealer can work with fairly easily for ~$200

why would a 3 wire IAC be a problem if you have the ecu for it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
who wants to run a 98-02 OBD2b ECU in a 96-98? Have you LOOKED at the ECU pinouts? 100% different!

So.. either $150 wiring harness adapter...... and the immobilizer... OR...

Figure out the 2-3 wire IAC conversion....

Also, moving the car to OBD2b with the newer ECU will make the ECU a whole lot pickier on wiring..... also, OBD2b i believe has 3-4 more wires coming through the firewall off the ECU... not a huge deal, but more changes....

I've got a bunch of pages copied from the 96-97 accord manual, and the 98-02 manual.. (the huge dealer repair manuals with everything...) And it looks like running the 98-02 ECU is doable, with a crapload of changes....

The 96-97 accord ECU plugs right in, its available for a 2.2 VTEC F series.... and the .1 liter of displacement should get taken care of via the long term fuel map after a bit.

Furthermore... if you want to do mods to the engine... a chipped P28 with an OBD2a to OBD1 harness conversion should be doable, just need to find someone who has a decent base map.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts