Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
372 Posts
I wonder if actual mileage is recorded in the ECM, or the instrument cluster. I could gaurantee resale of my car if I took the original one out and put this one in. Or I could just keep the one that had the least amount of miles out of the car. :D

· Registered
563 Posts
its registered on both, but the gauge will say how many miles are on the gauge, while the ecu will tell u the real story if someone decides to pull it and test it. My gauge says 14000 miles, my real mileage is *****, and the maintenance light comes up following the ecu, so to answer your question you can change the gauge to change the mileage..if u get caught..prepare to spend some jail time...mine was done legit (original broke, so dealer put in a brand spanking new speedometer w/ 00000 mileage)...

· Registered
372 Posts
Damn, I should have known that anyway.

Cars 95 and newer have OBD II electronics and they store information like that in the ECU. Cars 94 and older don't so you could pull it off on such a vehicle. But jail time really isn't worth it.

· Registered
252 Posts
try 147,000 on a 98.....:)

· Registered
252 Posts
divinewisdom said:
hehe i wanted to reset mines haha
i have like 75,000 on a 99
Try 147,000 on a 98 :)

· Registered
563 Posts
god dang it....147000 miles, where have u been driving too..i kno i love my accord, but not that much..hahaa..

i have um...14000 miles on a 2000, but u guyz already kno my secret..hahahaha

· Registered
252 Posts
I bought the car used w/ 127,000 miles on it....it was a company car and they traveled really long distances.....and anyways...resetting doesn't really matter....the registration and pink and everything has all the mileage info on it...

· Registered
917 Posts
Nossy said:
I bought the car used w/ 127,000 miles on it....it was a company car and they traveled really long distances.....and anyways...resetting doesn't really matter....the registration and pink and everything has all the mileage info on it...
Yeap also your smog check paper should have the miles! It doesn't worth jail time or fine to roll the miles back! :mad:

· Registered
563 Posts
to tofu: mine was broken, the liquid LCD screen wasn't working properly..not all of the numbers appeared correctly..so honda decided to put in a new one under warranty. cool huh..no need to roll back the meter..but i figure they do have my real mileage in the computer. However, no one else knows the real mileage considering that i've never had to get a smog check yet.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.