Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
201 - 210 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow, i just spend 2 hours reading everything on this thread.... i gotta say ti was worth it! :D Great job Bro, Keep us up dated, also i am now planning to use my 96 civic lx as my project car, and i am wondering if you could maybe tell us the full cost of the swap, and the cost of all the parts... when u have time... i know its alot of info :p

Please n thank you

:D

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Everything looks so well done. How did all of this started for you? Automotive school?
I'm actually a software developer. I changed my own oil for the very first time about 7 or 8yrs ago. I just enjoy working with my hands and I wanted it to look like it came from the factory this way :)

The reason I posted the whole build online was because I wanted to show people it isn't all that hard. Just have a plan and make it happen.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Wow, i just spend 2 hours reading everything on this thread.... i gotta say ti was worth it! :D Great job Bro, Keep us up dated, also i am now planning to use my 96 civic lx as my project car, and i am wondering if you could maybe tell us the full cost of the swap, and the cost of all the parts... when u have time... i know its alot of info :p

Please n thank you

:D
Cost of k-swaps really varies. It depends on how far you want to go. I've seen them done for as little as $4k, and there are people who have spent $20k and still don't have a running car. Expect to spend $6-8k for the basic swap and then add in your extras on top of that (i.e. upgrading suspension, redoing interior, etc.)

I generally tell people that they shouldn't consider a k-swap unless they have specific purposes for their car. I want to go road racing, so a turbo was out of the question. I also wanted as simple of a setup as I could get for reliability reasons. So I wasn't really interested in a super built b-series. The k-series is reliable, I can still drive the car back/forth to work, and during a track event all of the porsche owners come ask why my car is so fast.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Did a porsche club event a month ago @ VIR Full course. By the end of the weekend, the joke was that I would be banned from future porsche events because I was making them look bad. Had a good weekend. I signed up for intermediate to get an instructor. She helped me carry speed though the uphill esses and hogpen. Went ahead and moved to the advanced group and had a great time.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Ok. Here is the first batch of updates :) Looks like I took these pics back in Feb. Wow... I really got lazy with the updates... Anyways...

I picked up a yellow box a few months back. The yellow box is a speedo recalibrator so it will let your adjust the vss signal passed from the vss to the ecu and to the speedometer. It has dip switches so that you can set the adjustment factor to correct for the difference in tire size between the donor car (rsx-s) and your car (98ex in my case).

I believe the adjustment was roughly 8%. Doesn't sound like much, but having an accurate speedo is a good thing.

You can wire the yellow box anywhere you want. It comes with a molex connector (like you have inside a desktop pc), with 4 wires. The 4 wires are :

* power
* ground
* signal in
* signal out

So I went the lazy route and wired the power and ground into the ignition and ground wires over by the steering wheel. I had already tapped these for my oil pressure and egt gauges. Next I spliced into the k20 swap harness to intercept the vss signal, pass it to the signal in on the yellow box and the yellow box signal out goes back to the harness.

I did not want to splice into the engine harness to intercept the vss before the ecu. I did not know if lying to the ecu would cause any issues.

All of these pictures are under the passenger side dash.

Locating the wire to splice into.

201 - 210 of 210 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.