Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm planning on getting a camera, but we will have to see where that lands in the budget :) I've got quite a bit more work to do on this thing to get it like I want it. I was hoping to be ready to hit the track by summer, but looks like I will have to wait until Oct and make the annual trip to Road Atlanta.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Latest updates. I got the karcepts shifter kit installed last night. Just need to crawl back under there and seal it up with the silicone that came with the kit. The karcepts kit is very nice. You just have to be very meticulous with it because you only have one shot at cutting the hole.

I didn't want to buy an angle grinder or saw-all since I didn't have much use for one. I tried a jigsaw, but due to the raised hole for the factory shifter it wasn't a good option. So I ended up using the trusty old dremel and just taking my time. Luckily for me, I picked up a pack of dremel's new metal cut-off wheels. I only burned through 1-1/2 cutting the hole. Pretty good considering the hole is 3-layers thick in some places.

Took maybe an hour to cut out. That is mainly due to the fact that I kept stopping every few inches to let the dremel cool off and because it was 95+ degrees and I was inside the car in my hot garage. So kept having to take water breaks. I should probably buy a fan for the garage.

You really should remove the seats for the karcepts kit. It would be nearly impossible to cut the hole without doing that. Not a big deal though. 4 bolts per seat and they are out.

Dremel has a new metal cut-off wheel which ate through the sheet metal without much problem.

Plan to put my rear suspension back together tonight.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
the dremel cut-off wheels are the tits. i cut through hardened steel suspension bolts with them because that's all i had available to use :lol

keep the updates coming, looking good :tu

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Got some more done this evening :)

Took the rear end apart because it is getting freshened up as well.

The front lcas were taken care of before I ever began the swap.

The rear trailing arm bushings were pretty busted. They had a lot of little tears in them. They probably would not have failed anytime soon, but they were definately tired.

Went w/Mugen rear trailing arm bushings

Got the schley tool, part #65100. The tool cost about the same as what shops were quoting me to install the bushings.

The tool is ridiculously easy to use. So easy that I wasn't paying attention and pushed a bushing in too far. Had to push it all the way through and start over. I paid better attention the next time :)

Nice new fresh bushings in place.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I got the rear suspension put back together. More pics of that later. The latest batch of pics are with the header. I'm using the aem/dc k-swap header. I'm using the Hasport EKK2 mount kit with the k20 in the top mounting hole. The header is a bit tight and has me a little worried about clearance issues as I don't have much space at all between the header and my shifter cables.

I'm seriously considering lowering the motor to the bottom holes on the mount kit but I've got to check ground clearance on the oil pan before I make that decision.

Notice the 3 bolts on the flange. Using this header eliminates your cat. This thing bolts directly up to your midpipe.

Header is very close to the subframe, but has adequate clearance.

This is what I'm worried about. Look at hose close my shift cables are.

Here is a bottom shot. If I dropped the motor down a notch on the mounts, it would give me almost another inch of clearance with the header, but then of course I lose an inch of ground clearance. I'm considering just running with things like they are since I plan on getting a custom header anyways.

A side shot. It tucks in nice and neat. Even clears the heatshield on the axle midshaft. I installed the header from underneath the car. It slid into place even easier than installing a header on a d/b-series.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Here are some pics from a few days ago. I had a spare set of rear lower arms that came with my rear disc conversion many years ago. They had like 20k miles on them or so. They were in much better condition than my stockers which had 156k on them :)

You can see how beat up the bushings were in my stockers.

Here is a pic of the same bushing on the arms that I'm installing.

Also picked up a new set of rear toe links. At $24 each, doesn't make sense not to considering the other freshening up I'm doing.

Also, look what showed up today :) My axles from www.raxles.com . Fitment is very good, but I'm a little concerned about the passenger side axle. Looks like it wouldn't hurt it to be another 1/4" to 3/8" longer. I'll play with it some more tomorrow with the hub at ride height.

*EDIT* Called up Marty @ Raxles and he sent me out a new axle the same day!!! I swapped the axle as soon as it came and the new one is a perfect fit. I was his guinea pig for the ekk2 kit, so now he has the correct axle lengths on file.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Did you ever notice if your TA bushings were making rather bad noises?

Ive replaced every item on my rear suspension execpt those, and because of this they are REALLY starting to show it.

Just curious if you were intrested in renting that press to anyone who needs it or not. A while ago a group at H-T did that.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
looking really good man!

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
build lookin good...would be nice when everything put together we could see a vid of it runnin:btu....i know im movin too fast... :lol2 ...but until then i'll stay tuned :)

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
commador said:
Did you ever notice if your TA bushings were making rather bad noises?
I had a squeak in the rear, but there are 2 service bulletins regarding the rear squeak. The first was for the rta bushings. The second was for the rear gussets just behind the rear seat coming loose. So I've taken care of the bushings and have the interior torn apart to tighten up those gussets as well.

commador said:
Just curious if you were intrested in renting that press to anyone who needs it or not. A while ago a group at H-T did that.
Sure, I'd be willing to do the rental. Pretty much with similar rules to what was done on H-T.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
So I've been a little lazy. Its been hot, a lot of things going on in the evenings, so the car has been a bit neglected. Really should of had it finished by now. But here we go :)

I bought a piece-o-crap harness from a 96cx just for connectors and brackets. This way I could sell my stock ex harness.

I needed this bracket from the old harness to put on the k-series harness. This allows the harness to pass into the cabin and close the hole just like the original one.

I got the fuel setup finished. I used the karcepts fpr bracket but instead of using the suggested location by the water neck on the head. I removed the stud that was on the airbox support and drilled a hole there and put a nut on the backside of it and secured it there. This way it is still relatively close to the fuel rail but plenty of room around it.

Hybrid racing harness. I'm a little confused by a few things on the harness. It looks simple enough, but not sure why they didn't reuse more of the stock wiring in the chassis. For example, don't see why they don't tap into the stock harness for the secondary o2 sensor. Would also be nice to have the evap vent shut wired in, and I'm not sure they have cruise wired in. I'll be a little annoyed if I have to run another wire for cruise.

Hondata k-pro

Needed a new set of rear brake pads. I had about 2mm left on the rears before I hit the wear indicator. These are the Carbotech Bobcats. I've been really happy with these over the past few years.

Radiator Hose Cut. This was a stock lower hose for an integra. The portion on the right will be my new lower hose.

Power Steering High Pressure Line. I straightened out the hardline. Figured it would be easier this way to bend into the shape that I need.

The front suspension is put back together. I used new tie rod ends. No point in reusing the ones from the salvage yard or my stockers which are nearly 10yrs old. Had to use a pickle fork and a 3lb sledge hammer to get the originals out of the knuckles... That was a pain in the butt...

The rear suspension is put back together. Took a little work getting things into place with the new bushings. Much firmer than the old beat up originals.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I got bored and had some sheet metal lying around.

Here is the hole for the a/c that is behind the battery.

Here are the tools. These sheers are about a foot long :)

Cut out a plate, put a few coats of paint on it, and got a near factory match.

Here is the piece installed.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Time to get to work on that charge harness.

I used the starter wire harness from my stock setup, and ripped the alternator wire out of the junk harness that I bought. Then spliced them into the k-series charge harness.

Preparing to solder

Heatshrink tubing over my new messy solder connection :)

Now a nice coat of electrical tape. I like the 3M vinyl electrical tape. Very easy to work with and sticks very well without having a gooey residue.

Finished the charge harness around 1am. Will snap a better pic of it later with it connected all up. Put more wireloom over it and wrapped in electrical tape. Nearly looks like it came from the factory that way.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
K20 FTW.............Very Food Chet :tu

41 - 60 of 210 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.