Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up guys? I have this stock 98 HX which I will be keeping for a while longer so I want to put some headers and an exhaust system in it. My only problem seems to be finding some for my car. Does anyone know where I can look these and for a good price? Also I wanted to put some wheels on it but I wasn't sure whether to go with 17's or 18's. Will I need to do any modifications to the car if I go with either size? I was leaning more to the 17's but again I dont know much about the demensions of what I can put on my car. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
17x7 with 205/40 tires should be perfect. I think with the HX you need to get an EX exhaust manifold and an EX exhaust system because on the HX the cat is part of the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're saying purchasing a header from an ex will fit my hx? Will it just bolt on like the old one or do I have to make any mods to it? I am asking because the way I figure I should be able to bolt it on myself right or would I need to take it to some mechanic to do so?

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you buy just the header for the EX, you will have no cat (illegal and sounds like shit). I swapped in an EX engine for the shitty HX engine and the exhuast manifold on the motor bolted directly to the rest of the exhuast. It sounded like total ass (all raspy). Get a high-flow cat (Carsound seems to be one of, if not the, best) or a stock cat made for the EX and an EX exhuast system. If you buy quality components, it will all be direct bolt-on.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Does your HX have HX rims on it or steelies with hub caps?

If they are HX rims I will trade you my 17's for them,I'm in N.E. TN and know NC like the back of my hand so we could meet to swap them out

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a '98 european model HX, I have just bought a DC-sports 4-2-1 Header, a redline CAI, Apexi N-1 cat-back and a high flow cat. stil waiting for the CAI, exhaust en Cat converter to come in already have de header. I waiting till i have all the parts to put them on... I hope they all fit but I think I'm not running into problems.

·
Registered
466 Posts
D15Z4 said:
I have a '98 european model HX, I have just bought a DC-sports 4-2-1 Header, a redline CAI, Apexi N-1 cat-back and a high flow cat. stil waiting for the CAI, exhaust en Cat converter to come in already have de header. I waiting till i have all the parts to put them on... I hope they all fit but I think I'm not running into problems.
You should be fine as long as you bought everything for the EX (or whatever the european equivalent is...). The CAI should be direct fit and you don't have to wait to put that on once you get it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help peeps. What is a CAI? I was just going to buy the DC Sports 4-2-1 header with high flow cat back exhaust. I thought that was all I needed. Also my HX has 2 sensors, so does the EX header come with ports for them or will that be a problem? I also think I am going to get the 205/40/17 with 17x7 wheels. I would trade my HX wheels but this is my get around car so I am going to wait till I have some new wheels first.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
The ex header only has 1 spot for a 02 bung,you will have to buy a after market cat,relocate your rear 02 sensor to behind it

A CAI = Cold Air Intake

The rims I have have good tire on them and would be coo to ride around on for a good 8 to 10 months plus I am planning on having them sand blasted to look polished,I just want steelies or HX rims and I'll straight swap out if you want but it's up to you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So do you have any recomendations as to what I should buy for my HX as far as header and exhaust system? If you get your wheels sandblasted send me a pic and to see how they came out. But if I get me some wheels before then I would be more that happy to swap with you.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Custom exhaust is the best way IMHO,get under your car and take note to what bends there are in your exhaust piping then go to www.jcwhitney.com and peice it together your self with 2 inch or 2.25 inch mandrel bent piping.It is hella cheaper like this as you can have it all done for like a good $200 cheaper than a pre-fab exhaust.

Get a DC Sports header they are cheap and dont leak,if you try to make any real power with a header upgrade you will spend alot of money so a DC is good cause it free's up the airflow and dont cost to much

Need anymore help let me know and welcome to SHO :byye

·
Registered
819 Posts
suaqenllo said:
So do you have any recomendations as to what I should buy for my HX as far as header and exhaust system? If you get your wheels sandblasted send me a pic and to see how they came out. But if I get me some wheels before then I would be more that happy to swap with you.
if you're on a tight budget, i would recommend an OEM exhaust manifold from the following: 92-95 Civic EX/Si OR 96-00 Civic EX. They won't perform as well as aftermarket headers, but they will perform much better than the one you have now. IF possible, i highly recommend the 99-00 Civic EX headers as they are a better design from all the rest. You should be able to find these for less than $30.

If money's not a problem, a good street header is the DC Sports 4-2-1. The gains will be quite noticable, the HX motor is not JUNK. Either way your still making more power than a CX/DX/LX motor. I'm sure you can find used GOOD looking headers for $150.00 or less here or in other forums. I personally favor the one piece design, but you cant go wrong with the two-piece.

Exahust, i've got a Greddy SP2 system and i love it. I had an Apex-i World Sport and it was an awesome exhaust too. There's plenty of exhausts out there and tons of reviews. 8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
98civic4door said:
The ex header only has 1 spot for a 02 bung,you will have to buy a after market cat,relocate your rear 02 sensor to behind it

A CAI = Cold Air Intake

The rims I have have good tire on them and would be coo to ride around on for a good 8 to 10 months plus I am planning on having them sand blasted to look polished,I just want steelies or HX rims and I'll straight swap out if you want but it's up to you
So how will I have to go about doing this? I want to buy an exhaust system and headers for my car. I am not sure what you mean by purchasing an after market cat. Don't exhaust systems come with cat's? I tried to look on that jcwhitney web site but I am not even sure what I am looking for. If you could help me out that would be great.

·
Registered
819 Posts
suaqenllo said:
So how will I have to go about doing this? I want to buy an exhaust system and headers for my car. I am not sure what you mean by purchasing an after market cat. Don't exhaust systems come with cat's? I tried to look on that jcwhitney web site but I am not even sure what I am looking for. If you could help me out that would be great.
You'll need to buy an exhuast system for an EX application. No, they don't come with any cats. You can purchase hi-flo cats such as magnaflow hi-flo cats. I say just save the time and buy a complete system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From what I read in your post I think I am going to go with the DC Sport headers and the apex cat-back exhaust system. By doing this should it come with a cat or is that just a title they give? Also do you think I will be able to plug in both sensors that come with the HX or do you have any other suggestions? I want to make sure that by purchasing the EX fit headers and a cat back exhaust system I won't leave anything out that I may need.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts