Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 98 with intake, headers and full exhaust (no cat). I get a check engine light and ECU spits an error code after about 150 miles giving an 02 sensor problem. I've heard this is from not having a cat and the ecu retards any aftermarket parts when it realizes something is not right. What can be done to get rid of this problem and keep the ecu utilzing all the aftermarket parts I have installed. I've heard you can install a switch to the ecu power so you can reset it after every 100 miles or so or just pull the clock/radio fuse (which is what I have been doing). I do notice a power difference when the check engine light is on. Any suggestions for ECU upgrades and what kind of price am I looking at?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
jinsing said:
I've got a 98 with intake, headers and full exhaust (no cat). I get a check engine light and ECU spits an error code after about 150 miles giving an 02 sensor problem. I've heard this is from not having a cat and the ecu retards any aftermarket parts when it realizes something is not right. What can be done to get rid of this problem and keep the ecu utilzing all the aftermarket parts I have installed. I've heard you can install a switch to the ecu power so you can reset it after every 100 miles or so or just pull the clock/radio fuse (which is what I have been doing). I do notice a power difference when the check engine light is on. Any suggestions for ECU upgrades and what kind of price am I looking at?

the difference is in your head. the secondary oxygen sensor catalyst inefficiency codes will not do anything to your fueling or your timing. it does not detune your mods. no ecu i have seen ever has detuned any mods.

do not install a kill switch to your ecu power. and quit resetting the ecu. resetting the ecu only reverts your car back to its factory basemaps which are preprogrammed to be rich as hell. your hurting your power, not helping it.

get an o2 simulator or do an obd conversion and be done with it

·
Registered
866 Posts
Rick V Quote:
Originally Posted by jinsing

the difference is in your head. the secondary oxygen sensor catalyst inefficiency codes will not do anything to your fueling or your timing. it does not detune your mods. no ecu i have seen ever has detuned any mods.

do not install a kill switch to your ecu power. and quit resetting the ecu. resetting the ecu only reverts your car back to its factory basemaps which are preprogrammed to be rich as hell. your hurting your power, not helping it.

Actually that is incorrect. When you throw a CEL your ECU will enter safe mode. You'll run rich as hell, VTEC will not engage, and you'll have a rev limiter at 6500ish. So how is the difference in his head? And OBDII has been proven to detune modifications in order to improve emissions.

Here is the link to the OBDII workaround mod. http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-afc/ecu.shtml I've done it and it's a really simple matter. Finding the right wire is the hardest part. Though I still don't condone running around without a cat. Just invest in a high flow, polluting the air is not worth that little horsepower gain.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New cat?

I just got the car a couple weeks ago with the mods done. Will one of the high flow cats from ebay (like $50) keep the ecu from throwing those errors? I agree with the poluting part of it, just want to get good power for what I've got. Whatever is best to get this problem solved is what I want to do.

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
prelude707 said:
Rick V Quote:
Originally Posted by jinsing

Actually that is incorrect. When you throw a CEL your ECU will enter safe mode. You'll run rich as hell, VTEC will not engage, and you'll have a rev limiter at 6500ish. So how is the difference in his head? And OBDII has been proven to detune modifications in order to improve emissions.

Here is the link to the OBDII workaround mod. http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-afc/ecu.shtml I've done it and it's a really simple matter. Finding the right wire is the hardest part. Though I still don't condone running around without a cat. Just invest in a high flow, polluting the air is not worth that little horsepower gain.
You're half right but half wrong too. I've got two cels on and an atts light and my car pulls to 8000 rpms with no problems and vtec works fine. The obd2 does learn your patterns and corrects parameters of the engine but not to the extent of what people think.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
prelude707 said:

actually you are incorrect. go ask marcucci (from ntpog) at po.com THE CREATOR of the famed obd2 workaround about it. he has admitted himself it is useless.

when you throw a cel your ecu will only enter safe mode if certain sensors malfunction. primary or secondary o2 sensor codes will not put you in safe mode. primary o2 sensors will force the ecu into running in open loop mode all the time and no stft will happen. secondary o2 sensor codes do nothing but determine catalyst efficiency. they do not cause limp mode, and they do not decrease performance.

the difference is in his head because obd2 does not detune modifications. obd2 has a long term fuel trim correction factor of +/-20%. when it senses more air flow or lower iat's or lower ect's or the reverse it adjusts fuel as needed in closed loop to maintain a stoich mixture. this is not detuning your mods. it is maintaining maximum fuel efficiency for closed loop operation. maximum fuel efficiency is by no means were peak power is produced but it is also by no means detuning anything. your ecu cannot change the fluid dynamics of your motor, it can only adjust fueling to compensate for the added airflow to make the car run efficient.

the obd2 workaround is absolutly worthless for power production. IT HURTS POWER. everytime you reset your ecu you are reverting back to factory basemaps. factory basemaps are preprogrammed to be very rich so that once the car reaches its destination and the owner starts to drive it is safe untill the stft can calculate a ltft value and the car can run at its peak efficiency.

i suggest you do some more research. and if you dont believe me go ask artifex, alphajesse or sharkcohen at po.com who have all done extensive obd2 datalogging to prove the workaround is bullshit. or go visit pgmfi.org and be laughed at for asking if obd2 detunes your mods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts