Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Accord EX-VL V6, AUTO, 91k. Well I bought a new car about 2 weeks ago and the honda hasn't been started in the past two weeks, well I just went out there a little bit ago because I was wanting to drive it around a little. Well when I first started it she started ok but after about 3 or 4 minutes of letting it warm up(it is also about 25 degrees here and snowed earlier) it starts reving to about 2000 rpm then back down to 1100 or so rpm and just keeps on doing that over and over. When I put it in drive you can feel it trying to pull away when you have the brake on and you can hear this kind of clicking sound thats not normal for it. Do any of you guys have any idea what's wrong with it?

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
djdelirius said:
I have a 99 Accord EX-VL V6, AUTO, 91k. Well I bought a new car about 2 weeks ago and the honda hasn't been started in the past two weeks, well I just went out there a little bit ago because I was wanting to drive it around a little. Well when I first started it she started ok but after about 3 or 4 minutes of letting it warm up(it is also about 25 degrees here and snowed earlier) it starts reving to about 2000 rpm then back down to 1100 or so rpm and just keeps on doing that over and over. When I put it in drive you can feel it trying to pull away when you have the brake on and you can hear this kind of clicking sound thats not normal for it. Do any of you guys have any idea what's wrong with it?

iacv, vaccum lines bad=rough idle

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
djdelirius said:
it should be ok.

since you havent started your car for over two weeks and left it outside in bad weather, itll have hard trouble starting. just let it idle for 10 minutes and see what happens. driver around for while too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To be honest a car that new shouldn't have any trouble starting in the cold. I drive a 00' Accord EX V6 coup with 160k on it and it starts fine even out here in Laramie WY where the weather is in the negatives every night i leave school. If you car still idles high when the engine is warm that definately sounds like it could be a vacuume leak. Chech all the hoses coming out of the intake maifold like the EGR, EVAP or PCV. However even if there is a vacuume leak the PCM should still try to compensate for the increase in pressue in the intake maifold. For example if you had a cylnder misfiring or even two cylnders the the engine would still idle at the same speed because it would detect the misfire and makeup for it. A problem that may cause an increased idle could be a faulty sensor like the TPS, MAS or MAP giving a faulty reading to the PCM. If your check engine light is on just take it to a shop so they can look up the data trouble code and fix it. If the engine light has not turned on take it to a shop so they can run the car through a drive cycle so all the PCM monitors can run then and im sure a DTC will appear. either way let me know how it turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts