Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

99 Accord Wagon, bad miss underload HELP?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MortsAccord 
#1 ·
have a 99 accord Wagon SiR with H23A engine,

the car has a real bad miss almost like it is cutting out, there at idle but worse under load ie turn the air con on, if driving it sounds like it bogs and is running on only 2-3 cylinders noticable loss in power...???? Reving car on spot in neutral it doesnt do it?????... It has brand new platnum plugs, new leads and distributor cap and Rotor and this made no difference...

Thoughts....

Faulty distributor? ingnitor unit, crank angle sensor? OTHER???

HELP????:bash:fear

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
If it happens more during load with a/c I would pull all spark plug wires (while cold of course) looking for oil around the lower end of the plug. The systom you described is very typical of a leaking valve cover gasket (at the valve cover spark plug gaskets/grommets).

#6 ·
Dude he just mentioned he had a H23 in it.

I've pulled the valve cover off my F22b1 before to adjust the lash on my valves, and by design theres nearly no way for oil to escape from the valve cover into the spark plug holes. I'n not sure how the H heads are designed, but if they are anything like the B1 head off the F blocks the oil getting by should in no way be a problem.

Its probably not the coil, considering the car runs. I would venture for distributor/rotor or plugs/wires. Check to make sure plug wires have good continuity and the connectors on both ends of the plug wires make good contact with the dist and the plugs themselves. You can easily check the connection on the plugs by attacking the plugs to the wires in your hand, they should make a click noise, and if you turn the plug while its inside the spark plugs boot you should hear metal to metal contact, it shouldnt be too loose. Sometimes youy can tighten the clip with a pair of needle nose pliers. You can also get some soapy water in a spray bottle and start the car at night, misting along the plug wires to check for problems with the electricity arching out from the wires insulator.

Also check gap on spark plugs to ensure they are within factory tolerances. Personally I don't like platinum plugs. There are some sites you can search up on google that will show correct and incorrect wear on your spark plugs as well. You may want to look into that.

You may also have a problem with your injectors. Have you replaced your fuel filter?

EDIT: BTW your wagon looks nice man.

#7 ·
To clarify, anytime you pull your valve cover you should always replace the gasket and spark plug gaskets. YES, anyone who has been in a garage for any amount of time can verify that leaks can/will occur. The only exception is if the person is tuning their car and there is less than 1000 miles on the gaskets, in this case it would not need to be changed but some people do anyway.

The part I was mentioning that could be leaking is clearly visible here in this gasket set.

A little oil leaking in is almost impossible to detect until you start having a miss here or there when driving and you start to think the worst.

#8 ·
A little oil leaking in is almost impossible to detect until you start having a miss here or there when driving and you start to think the worst.
I always found looking down in there was quite easy to see if theres oil getting in there where it should not be. The sun is your friend.:ninja

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.