Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 SI that doesnt have much heat in the winter. In temps of 32 degrees and below it takes the engine quite a long time for the engine temp guage to rise and maybe it rises by 2 or 3 bars only. Heat output is dismal at best. In the summer, it doesnt not overheat at all even with the AC running and outside temps are over 95 degrees. If I let it idle, the temp guage will rise a bit higher but once the car starts moving the guage drops down to the 2nd bar to near bottom of the engine temp guage. Is this a symptom of a failed or stuck open thermostat? What is the proper thermostat range of the b16? I have seen various replacement thermostats ranging from 170 degree F to 198 degrees F. Thanks

· Super Moderator
672 Posts
I have a 99 SI that doesnt have much heat in the winter. In temps of 32 degrees and below it takes the engine quite a long time for the engine temp guage to rise and maybe it rises by 2 or 3 bars only. Heat output is dismal at best. In the summer, it doesnt not overheat at all even with the AC running and outside temps are over 95 degrees. If I let it idle, the temp guage will rise a bit higher but once the car starts moving the guage drops down to the 2nd bar to near bottom of the engine temp guage. Is this a symptom of a failed or stuck open thermostat? What is the proper thermostat range of the b16? I have seen various replacement thermostats ranging from 170 degree F to 198 degrees F. Thanks
what i see is 170 is OE temp, but yes this sounds like stuck open thermostat, fairy easy to change

1 - 2 of 2 Posts