Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookin for a car, cheap, nicely taken care of. so that I may have more money to spend on upgrades.

currently im looking at 99 civic EX's and 00 Civic SI's.

i'm leaning more towards the SI bc of the vtec higher performance. and If I get one, I'd probrably consistantly upgrade the engine and do the standard "make the car look cool" body kits and wheels.

my real question (besides any comments you have regarding the upper message i entered) would be as follows:

Whats the take on 2000 civic SI's? Why are they more special then earlier year SI's like the 99, 98, 97..etc. What would you (all) suggest?

·
Registered
747 Posts
the prior generation Si was only produced in 99-00. no changes were made between the 2 model years. if you can find one for a good price, with low miles, definitely get it. good straight from the factory performance and makes a really good starting platform for higher performance mods...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you

·
Registered
494 Posts
I went from EX to SI same year.
There are many ways that its better:
1.6 DOHC duh!
2. Four wheel disk brakes.
3. Better suspension
4 The interior is better.

My 99 has done every mile on the spedo. Happily :number1
You could get a cheep EX and buy all the parts (except the B16A2) at a good junk yard. But 99-00 SI are being sold at bargain prices thease days.
The trick is finding one that some kid hasen't jacked up.
Choped springs, cut interior for a crapy sound system, ass wipe graphics,
beat up paint, riced out Cat back. 727 rear wing, On and on.........:idiots

The only thing is I wish it was Black in steed of "cop spot red" :bh

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
agreed. I see some for sale real cheap on auto trader, and I cant but help to think how beat up the engine must really be from some teenager. I recently found out my friends dad deals BMW's and is good friends with a honda dealer near him so maybe I can get a good price on a good condition civic SI.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Na, I'll live with the red for now.
I park way out in the parking lotts.
So I don't get beat up by soccer Moms and ther SUVs :eek
I will probably sell the SI this year and go back to a cash car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
isnbrg9 said:
the prior generation Si was only produced in 99-00. no changes were made between the 2 model years.
Wrong:

99 Civics had plugs on the rear deck for the child tethers and the clips came in the glove box

00 had them pre installed

99 and 00 Civic Sis had a differant Half Shaft design (although they are interchangeable) the 00 had a thicker Boot

and of COURSE the 00 got a cup holder insert where the 99 didnt have one :eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
99 and 00 are the same damn thing. And yes, get the Si, there is no comparison between the EX and SI. When you wind that baby up to 8 grand you will know why the Si is the way to go. I have looked up some stats in the past on quarter mile time and some sites say that the 99 is actually faster, I dont know how that could be though. You can pick a nice one up for about 9 or 10 grand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BrokenLimits said:
Wrong:

99 Civics had plugs on the rear deck for the child tethers and the clips came in the glove box

00 had them pre installed

99 and 00 Civic Sis had a differant Half Shaft design (although they are interchangeable) the 00 had a thicker Boot

and of COURSE the 00 got a cup holder insert where the 99 didnt have one :eek:

So. . .I can tether kids from my rear deck in my '00 Si instead of plugging them into the glovebox?

Hot damn!

:clap

1 - 12 of 12 Posts