Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im new to this forum, and i have a 99 gsr that burns oil...i burned a couple quarts, it seems like, in about 2 weeks...not normal...and it looks to me that i'm getting kind of white colored smoke coming out the exhaust...at least from what i can tell out of the rear view mirror, and i friend of mine said he saw it kind of blue smoke...so i took it to a local shop, and told them, and said it could be bad piston rings, etc...they did a leak down and compression test, and my #3 cylinder was going bad, and i dont know if the cylinder is scarred, and needs to be honed, or bored out until i take it in and have them tear it apart...i just need some help on what i should do. i would like to keep the car, considering i've already put money into it...would just a good, solid rebuild help out?? (ie: valves, pistons/rings, etc..) or am i getting into too much..?? i've just never dealt with problems like this, so if i have said some wrong things, let me know.. thanks

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
you need to find out if its rings or if its valve stem seals causing the problem...the leak down should have told them that. its hard to say what needs to be done otherwise.

how many miles are on the engine? honestly i wouldnt go into rebuilding one unless you absolutely needed to.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
nor-cal gsr said:
hey guys, im new to this forum, and i have a 99 gsr that burns oil...i burned a couple quarts, it seems like, in about 2 weeks...not normal...and it looks to me that i'm getting kind of white colored smoke coming out the exhaust...at least from what i can tell out of the rear view mirror, and i friend of mine said he saw it kind of blue smoke...so i took it to a local shop, and told them, and said it could be bad piston rings, etc...they did a leak down and compression test, and my #3 cylinder was going bad, and i dont know if the cylinder is scarred, and needs to be honed, or bored out until i take it in and have them tear it apart...i just need some help on what i should do. i would like to keep the car, considering i've already put money into it...would just a good, solid rebuild help out?? (ie: valves, pistons/rings, etc..) or am i getting into too much..?? i've just never dealt with problems like this, so if i have said some wrong things, let me know.. thanks
Since you are taking the engine apart, plan on honing the cylinder walls, replacing the piston rings bearings, headgasket, and valve seals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks flyingtoaster...thats pretty much what i've been told by a few other people...oh and fsufan814, there is about 117,000 miles on it...i drive it a lot.

if i wanted to squeeze a few more hp out of it, would "performance" pistons help, or boreing it over a bit, a sppon head gasket, things like that...?? as far as what i have done to it, is just an AEM V2 CAI...no header or exhaust...the rest of the mods is suspension and brakes..and a couple other small things in and out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.