Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying that I am not super familiar with Honda motors, as I am just recently getting into them (more of an older big-block guy up till now), so this might be a bad question.

Also, i have done a quick forum search on this, and while I have found some info, it was far too vague and too many different responses for my liking.

I recently acquired a 99 integra, and I love it! There is one problem though, when I shift (originally it was just going into 3rd, but now its all gears) it doesn't want to fully go into gear, so I have to feather the throttle to get it into gear.
I told my mechanic this and with zero hesitation he said that I need to flush the transmission and put in regular motor oil.
I trust this guy because he has never steered me wrong in the past, but the more that I think about it the more it worries me.
After looking through some posts on this forum I have found that it appears to be ok, but what kind of oil do I want to put in it? Just what I use in the engine? Full synthetic? Something special?

Please help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
First of all let us know whether you drive an automatic or a stick shift? Because its sounds in the beginning that you have a manual and tether off into an auto in the middle of your query. You may need to replace some transmission in any case, especially if it has not gone any overhauling or rebuild in the past. Ask your trusted mechanic to open it up and check for any damages. If it is just the oil that needs changing, try synthetic this time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts