Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
my dad just bought a new 05 RL, his 4th flagship acura, and I decided to buy his old 99 RL from him after having, my second hand-me-down, as I was driving his 91 Legend until it pooped out 6 months ago.

anyways, what can i do to the 99 RL to give it just a bit more kick without sacrificing fuel economy and won't cost alot? Ive never modified a car before and dont know anything about it, but wouldnt mind spending a couple hundred extra to make dads old car really my own....

Advice appreciated!

p.s. anyone know if the traction control feature on the RL uses extra gas when its on?

·
Registered
582 Posts
well you could do intake which would give your car a better sound, and a custom exhaust if they dont make them for the rl. neither will give you big gains, but would definatly seperate it from your dads car. also, i cant imagine that having tc on does anything to gas mileage because its just a computer function i think, but i dont have tc so i dont have to worry about it. good luck with mods to your car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
an intake might give you about 10 hp. exhaust probably a few. and traction control does not use any extra gas when it's on. might keeps you from breaking parts, but that's about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome. any rcomendation on which intake and exhaust systems to get, im looking to spend just a little bit. like $150-300 for both, and im not looking for an exhaust that makes the car sound different, just more horsepower...

also, is the intake or exhaust gonna affect fuel economy?

finally, in the last reply, i didnt understand what you said about keepin git from breaking, you mean the traction control is more likely to break when used all the time?

so why wouldnt the traction control be on all the time if it doesnt use more gas? why did they make it a switch i have to press every time i turn on the car?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i don't know of any places that sell rl stuff. check out acurazine.com. good sight for big acuras.
the traction control is for safety. it keeps the tires from spinning.
it only turns on when the front tires start spinning. it might make the car get better gas milage.
i don't know why it isn't on all the time. mine come on automatically when i crank my car. is there a light that comes on when you push the traction control button?

·
Registered
582 Posts
well 150-300 wont cover an exhaust adn intake, unless you shop ebay. for my car my intake was 200 and my exhaust was 560. the intake was 50 for install and i did the exhaust myself, but would have been 100. im not sure but i would guess there arent to many products avaliable for your ar, at least compared to more popular tuned cars so prices wont be very competitive. you should get a ebay short ram intake for your car, then put a kn filter on it, just as good as any other and that would be about 50 bucks. then with the exhaust your on your own as far as im concerned because i dont no what there is for your car. as far as gas mileage, it will improve if you drive conservatively, but decrease if you accelerate hard. and as far as sound, putting in an intake will give it a nice low deep sound as high rpm and an exhaust will give you a nice deep sound also, and you can keep them quiet if you want. good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.