Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My civic EX (98) has 93,000 miles and the ac just isn't that cold. Could it be that I need to replace my freon? How do I do that? What else would help this?
Thanks for all help. :p

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
luv the sig..
And this may be stupid, but what kind of freon do I fill it with, and where can I get it?

·
Registered
412 Posts
See what type of ac unit you have (it should say on the unit itself), I actually saw some refill kits at Target. One of those should work, I imagine. I think they were like $30-$40 bucks. If you know what you're doing, you could save yourself some money.

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
hatchbackgirl said:
See what type of ac unit you have (it should say on the unit itself), I actually saw some refill kits at Target. One of those should work, I imagine. I think they were like $30-$40 bucks. If you know what you're doing, you could save yourself some money.
well, it's good to empty your whole system when your AC isn't all that cold.

reason being..
your car is from late 90's, assuming it's in between 97 to 99 ish.
and from then to now, you probably didn't get a AC changed, instead, probably just refilled it, or didn't even touch it at all.

if that's the case, you are using the AC gas from almost 10 years ago. :ekk

so, for the sake of the car, empty and refill it :)

and that can of refill you are talking about does cost around 30~40 dollors like you said.

but with that money and about around $60, u can get the AC exchange like it's brand new :)

i say go for the empty and refill at auto shops like grease monkey :)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
could have a bad condenser too

if the refill doesn't fix it, then i'd lean toward that.....when a condenser gets clogged or just quits doing it's thing (getting rid of heat in the system) then you get warmer air

hondas are notorious for this from the mid 90's on......before that, it's not so bad

our old 97 accord ex suffered from a clogged condenser.....everything else on the car was immaculate

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mad-ass said:
well, it's good to empty your whole system when your AC isn't all that cold.

reason being..
your car is from late 90's, assuming it's in between 97 to 99 ish.
and from then to now, you probably didn't get a AC changed, instead, probably just refilled it, or didn't even touch it at all.

if that's the case, you are using the AC gas from almost 10 years ago. :ekk

so, for the sake of the car, empty and refill it :)

and that can of refill you are talking about does cost around 30~40 dollors like you said.

but with that money and about around $60, u can get the AC exchange like it's brand new :)

i say go for the empty and refill at auto shops like grease monkey :)
Well, I really don't know what I am doing, so Grease monkey is sounding like the way to go...unless there is a DIY on how to flush and fill AC fluid. :confused
I've looked on here, but couldn't find one. :eek:
Man, I hope my condenser is ok...that would suck to replace that mug. :bh
Reps given for ALL replies...thanks to all so far.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
mad-ass said:
AC isn't a fluid :ahh
it's form of a gas, almost like a propain gas :ahh

go grease monkey mang..
deadly gas at that, and its r-34 refrigerant, not freon anymore

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IISaiNtII said:
Proving my point perfectly that I am clueless on this topic...Grease Monkey here I come! :number1
Thanks, folks!! :byye

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
civicilian said:
Proving my point perfectly that I am clueless on this topic...Grease Monkey here I come! :number1
Thanks, folks!! :byye
:nod
tell me how long it took.
i wasn't employeed at Grease Monkey, but I do hang around there alot.
i know all the menagers and even the store owner :w00t
when they get no cars and maybe 1 car an hour, i do all the work.

and when I did the AC exchance with BG mashine, it took me about 30 mins to do the whole process :clap

well, and free service to my car as well :evil

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
r-134a is freon.... :ninja

also, the problem with my ac being warm, is that heat from the header is soaking into the low side line.

You cant touch either the high, or the low lines after running the car even for a few minutes. In fact, the low side is hotter, and Im assuming its because its closer to the header than the high. This is my only guess because the pressure is at 36psi with the compressor running.

Fan turns on and everything works. Just the ac is warm, and both lines are hot. Now mind you, this is only after driving. Otherwise, the lines are cool. So I guess my only option is to wrap the lines with an insulator, and wrap the header with heat wrap.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hehe, glad I started this thread, cuz it looks like we're ALL learning something... :rolleyes :lol2

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
just get one of those r134a manifolds with the lo and hide side lines i would recommend getting the old shit evacuated out. hook it up to the lo side and close the hide side valve and shake in the amount u need..with the car running ac on. just keep an eye on the high side and make sure it doesnt go up to high. usuallly around 80-100 degrees ill say about 245-250psi is good for high side and about 45 psi for lo side

·
Registered
14 Posts
:btu Being that your car is a 98,your car has 134A type freon in it. For it not to be as cold as you like,you must have a small leak in your system,usually a bad O ring. Get vthe system looked at before you top up. Otherwise you will loose your new freon. The stuff is not cheap, and you must be licenced to use the stuff, believe me I know, Ijust renewed mine as I am a licenced tech .

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
XKWISIT1 said:
:btu Being that your car is a 98,your car has 134A type freon in it. For it not to be as cold as you like,you must have a small leak in your system,usually a bad O ring. Get vthe system looked at before you top up. Otherwise you will loose your new freon. The stuff is not cheap, and you must be licenced to use the stuff, believe me I know, Ijust renewed mine as I am a licenced tech .
O, okay.
I guess I will get the Grease monkey guys to look it over before working on it.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
XKWISIT1 said:
not to be a dick, but they sell r134a refringerant at wal-mart. you don't have to be a genious to know how to use the kit they sell... especially seeing as how it comes with the gauges, and instructions.

also, my best friend is a licensend (sp?) hvac tech as well...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts