Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy this 94 Integra from a guy down here in Florida. It has a 2.0L VTec, and I assume it is a b20. It has a Garret turbo with an intercooler. He took out the air conditioner for the extra hp, except I want it back in since I live in Florida. I took it to an AC shop and they were concerned about the effects of the heat on the A/C unit. I was wondering if any of you came into these problems, or if the A/C still works fine. Do they make an offset kit or heatshield, or anything like that to get it away from the turbo?

Thanks for the help
Danny

·
Registered
297 Posts
This car sounds like a lot of work. I don't want to offend, but are you sure you can work on it? If not I might think about another car. A 2.0 (b20) block is custom, as is the turbo. Without a lot of experience working on cars you may find yourself broken and not able to fix because you can't do it and you can't afford to have it done.

As for the A/C, I'd listen to the mechanic. If you are knowledgeable enough you could try to relocate, but with a b20 in there and a turbo there might not be enough room.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I understand that it gets a little hot over there in Florida cause it gets just as hot over here in Cali. When you buy a car with a engine like that or have an engine swap you have to be willing to live without the AC. More often than not it's a matter of space rather than hp loss cause you can always turn it off. If you're looking to have an engine like that then the last think you should be worrying about or spending money on is trying to have AC installed. Just my 2 cents cause I live without it so you can to.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I didn't mean to double post man, I guess I accidently double clicked the post button. As for the lack of A/C, yeah I know it is all custom. I have a pretty good understanding of import stuff, just never had to deal with putting an A/C in. So does anyone know anything about heat affecting A/C components?

Danny

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
ibjhb said:
I didn't mean to double post man, I guess I accidently double clicked the post button. As for the lack of A/C, yeah I know it is all custom. I have a pretty good understanding of import stuff, just never had to deal with putting an A/C in. So does anyone know anything about heat affecting A/C components?

Danny
no i mean you posted the same thread with 2 different subjects.. i wish i could be of some help with your problem though, maybe wrap the turbo & manifold?

·
Registered
190 Posts
some kind of wrapping...

i was reading through a couple months old super street mag. and found that their is a wrap that keep the batterry cool...so i'm pretty sure that they have something for the a/c. it's all depend on how close the a/c line and compresser get to the turbo and all of the piping that is included w/ the turbo set up...i'm pretty sure that something can be done...why would greddy and apex'i make a turbo kit to retain a/c? just take time and experiment and it will work. i'll pm you the manufacture name and website so that you can contact them.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
mostly all the turbo setups that ive seen that have the AC, they got the lines wrapped in the reflective barrier and prolly some other heat barriers around the compressor and such.

right now i had to take out the ac fan in order to get enuff room, since my rad suport is bent back a few inch. but my ac still works though and gets cold. im in search of a slim fan when i get loot and when summer comes back.

laters

·
Registered
190 Posts
here's the wrap name...

the name of the company that i was talking about earlier is Thermo-Tec Automotive Inc. website: www.thermotec.com i'm pretty sure that they have someting for you...if not then they can use your car as a test project and give you the stuff for free

1 - 9 of 9 Posts