Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C hasn't worked since I bought the car and I just want to take the whole system out.

1) How much weight will I save
2) It won't effect any other systems will it?

~Peace

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
IHIPrelude94 said:
My A/C hasn't worked since I bought the car and I just want to take the whole system out.

1) How much weight will I save
2) It won't effect any other systems will it?

~Peace
the compressor alone weighs just about 15lbs if i remember correctly. the combined total of everything except the compressor is almost another 15lbs. :number1

if you do it right you wont screw anything else up. just be careful when you're taking out the hardlines not to screw them up just in case you want to put them back in someday.

·
Registered
296 Posts
does he have freon or something to depressurize?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has a leak somewhere... when I got it there was no freon. Got it recharged and within 3 days my A/C didn't work again.

Cool... 30 lbs! woohoo! haha

~Peace

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figure I'll shed 30 lbs and MAYBE get 1-2 horsepower out of the deal too... do I need a new accessory belt?

~Peace

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
IHIPrelude94 said:
I figure I'll shed 30 lbs and MAYBE get 1-2 horsepower out of the deal too... do I need a new accessory belt?

~Peace
yes. you need to buy an alternator belt from a 4th gen Prelude S **WITHOUT A/C** (caps and stars so you dont forget)

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
yeah, just get the no ac alternator belt and the car wont know the difference, and saving 30lbs up front and a couple hp is nice, getting extra weight out of the front of the car is critical since you have an engine and transaxle up there... 30lbs wont make a huge difference, but every little bit helps...

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much mechanical knowledge do I need to do this? Is a Chiltons manual and tools enough?

~Peace

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
IHIPrelude94 said:
How much mechanical knowledge do I need to do this? Is a Chiltons manual and tools enough?

~Peace

probobly more than you need... if you can locate the parts you can take them off... with basic hand tools... its probly a good start to doing your own mods...

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
hardest part is the compressor. not b/c its hard to get out, just that it takes a lot of work to get to the point where you can take it out lol

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hobie237 said:
probobly more than you need... if you can locate the parts you can take them off... with basic hand tools... its probly a good start to doing your own mods...
I've done more extensive stuff than this... Motor swap for the Cutlass in my sig was done by my Dad, Uncle and I. Built up the long block, rewired the car, dropped it in...

I am kinda nervous about touching the "high tech" car as my Dad calls it... haha

~Peace

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hobie237 said:
true that the prelude is more techy than your cutlass, but the ac removal is still a pretty basic job... dont worry about it...
The engine bay in the Cutlass is friggin huge! You can practically grab a lawn chair and sit in there with a buddy when you're working on the motor... haha

~Peace

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Any Luders in here done the H22a swap that have kept and are currently using there A/C? Did you have to convert anything to operate it, or did it just simply worked?

My A/C doesn't work(H22A), I'm not sure if something needs to be converted or done, or do I just freon it up and I should be all set? :confused

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Team_Carnage said:
Any Luders in here done the H22a swap that have kept and are currently using there A/C? Did you have to convert anything to operate it, or did it just simply worked?

My A/C doesn't work(H22A), I'm not sure if something needs to be converted or done, or do I just freon it up and I should be all set? :confused
A/C is for pussies... haha

j/p

~Peace

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
IHIPrelude94 said:
A/C is for pussies... haha

j/p

~Peace
^hat's it? :confused That's all the info you have for me? :p

It getting to hot during the summers up here....(Global Warming)
I don't think it would be wise if I went this summer without A/C.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
jreese said:
i say charge it up and see what happens
Yea...That's the first thing it looks like I have to do.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Team_Carnage said:
^hat's it? :confused That's all the info you have for me? :p

It getting to hot during the summers up here....(Global Warming)
I don't think it would be wise if I went this summer without A/C.
puss :hehe

ive gone 3 summers in FL without it :byye

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.