Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
??

I've always seen people getting coilovers, but they juss end up costing so much more than just a simplre spring and strut combo that does the same job.

Besides the convenience of the adjustability of coilovers, are

there any other advantages over having them?

Need useful responces, I'm planning on purchasing my springs, but really need to know if it'll be worth it to wait and save up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well what do you use your car for. There is no need for overkill. If you just cruise the streets then there is no need to spend a grand on full coilovers.

That's just my opinion

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Correct. In a lot of cases, a simple spring and strut/shock combo is vastly superior to coilovers.

I will be purchasing coilovers though, because i race my car, and want not only the height adjustability, but the ease of swapping in different spring rates.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well, if you are talking about coilover sleeves then I would say there is no need for them, don't get them, get a good spring/shock combo instead.

If you are talking about true coilovers then the question gets more difficult.
If you are using your car solely as a daily driver, then there is no need for true coilovers IMHO. You won't be using the adjustability all that much really, and if you can find a set of springs that are the height that you like, then you don't really need the adjustability either.
If you occasionally race, then I would get a set of springs that you like (and tend towards the stiff side), and I would get adjustable shocks (Koni Yellows).
For the most part the people that get true coilovers are people that either race often, or want the ability to adjust the height without having the problems that sleeves sometimes cause.

If you are serious about racing then you have two choices. The first would be to get a good set of coilovers, preferably with adjustable shocks. Second, and this goes somewhat to what PseudoRealityX was saying, would be to get custom rate springs, and then buy Konis and ask them to revalve the shocks based on your spring rates.
Going with coilovers in this situation gives you the ability to adjust height, which allows you to corner weight the car (which won't help unless you're a pretty good driver already). That's the main thing that sets it apart from a spring/ revalved shock combo.

IMHO, for most people the expense of true coilovers is not necessary, but some people put a lot of value on being able to adjust the height, so it depends on whether being able to adjust the height is a huge factor to you. If it is not, then you'd probably be as happy with a good spring/shock combo as you would be with true coilovers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank ya!

Juss wanted to say thank you for all your input. I would like the height adjustibility, but if there are no other real advantages with true coilovers for a daily driven, occsionally raced car, then I guess I'll be going with the Eibach Pro-kit and the Koni Yellows. No need to spend extra money on a luxury.

Thanks ! :D

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Honestly...I like a 2 inch drop....and there is no springs that have a 2 inch drop...also...I have a apexi N1 exhaust that hangs low...if I need the rear to be a little higher than the front how would I pull this off with springs if they are set on a certain height...also what if the springs sagged over time...do I just rip my exhaust off when I hit a bump???

springs + revalved shocks are going to run you 900 bucks almost.
tein HA's with no pillowball mount run 1000 shipped...plus you get better shocks and stiffer springs for better handeling...why not spend in on the true coilovers that are made to work with each other???

I should have bought true tein HA coilovers with pillow ball mounts. Suspension is the most important thing on a car. it effects every aspect of it. Buying neuspeed sport springs isn't what I want....they are very soft...neuspeed race springs are way to low. nothing is stiff enough to where I want a 2 inch drop front and 1.7 rear that handles exceptionally well at that drop.

To me the ONLY way to go is buying a full coilover system and don't waste your time on spring/coilover sleeves shocks combo. they just give me a headache trying to match shit up. plus the shortened shocks the teins come with will be VERY helpful when you hit a nice big bump lowered 2+ inches:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But even with that said, If I were to get the prokit, claiming a 1.3"
drop, and assuming that the thing will sag 1.5" after the springs settle, won't the clearence still be ok?

I drive a 5th Gen Prelude, and I've read about people wanting to lower their rides more after getting the prokit installed, but I figure that it's more practicle to lower it sensibly then tighten up the dampening.

Which is why I was leaning towards the Koni Yellow Adjustables.

Or maybe I'm just missing your point~ :D

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Black Knight said:
But even with that said, If I were to get the prokit, claiming a 1.3"
drop, and assuming that the thing will sag 1.5" after the springs settle, won't the clearence still be ok?

I drive a 5th Gen Prelude, and I've read about people wanting to lower their rides more after getting the prokit installed, but I figure that it's more practicle to lower it sensibly then tighten up the dampening.

Which is why I was leaning towards the Koni Yellow Adjustables.

Or maybe I'm just missing your point~ :D
eibach pro kits are sooooooooo soft its amazing...softer than stock I believe...or practically. They aren't exactly a great handling spring in my opinion....also eibach pro kit springs won't work well with Koni shocks....they will NOT work on the lowest setting since the spring isn't long enough. some pro kits drop good...others go way low...eibach is just screwed up I believe..neuspeed and H&R drop consistent with every spring from pics I see.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
and I don't want sport springs cause they aren't stiff enough.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pro-kits are 250front/ 157-220rear. They are on the softer side, but still stiffer than stock (I think).

Like everyone else said, if height adjustability is not a huge consideration and you don't autox or track the car, then don't buy full coilovers. With the Prelude you don't have a lot of choice for coilovers anyway - just Tein, Toda Fightex, Tanabe Sustec Pros, and supposedly Progress has finally come out with their kit. With the Teins and Todas, the shocks have to be sent to Japan for revalving after they're worn (not cheap). Just because it hasn't been said yet, I'll point out that with full coilovers you have a shock that has been designed to match the spring - both in damping power v. spring rate, and in fitment. That makes them the best choice if you have money to spend, but not vital unless you're racing.

I've read that Koni Yellows can handle up to 600lb/in spring rates without needing custom valving, so that shouldn't be a problem. With Bampf's help, I plan to make some measurements and do some calculations to find out optimum spring rates for my prelude, so if you can wait a while, I'll post up what we figured out (and how for those who want to know). Since I'm not very happy with the coilovers available for the prelude, I'll probably get a spring/shock combo.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
vtec4 said:
I got coilovers because when it snows, I need to change the height to put on my snow tires. It's also neat the adjust the height to any position I like and it's easy to do.
Common...It never snows in Seattle. Tell us the real reason. :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Pro-kits may be too soft for you for a Prelude...I'll try and find some info on spring rates and drop amounts for Prelude springs...my brother PoBoy has a Prelude and he's done research on this stuff, he might be able to tell you...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm... I guess I'll juss wait. but yea, I mean if you're planning on doing research to find quantitative proof on what spring/shock combo would be optimal for the PRelude, by all means I'll wait. I juss want to know how you're gonna go about doing that.

Also, depending on how much patience I have after I have the money in my pocket saved up. :D

Where are you planning on posting this info once you obtain it?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Black Knight said:
??

I've always seen people getting coilovers, but they juss end up costing so much more than just a simplre spring and strut combo that does the same job.

Besides the convenience of the adjustability of coilovers, are

there any other advantages over having them?

Need useful responces, I'm planning on purchasing my springs, but really need to know if it'll be worth it to wait and save up.

Thanks.
I thought the same thing about coilovers before I bought my springs. My car is just a daily driver so I went with springs.

BIG mistake. I have Neuspeed Sports and the drop is not even :mad: I thought it was going to be since the front is 1.75" and the rear is 1.5", but NO!!!!!!!!

I'm ditching the springs and going with sleeves since it's all about the look :cool:

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Re: Re: A Real Need For Coilovers

LX98Civic said:

I thought the same thing about coilovers before I bought my springs. My car is just a daily driver so I went with springs.

BIG mistake. I have Neuspeed Sports and the drop is not even :mad: I thought it was going to be since the front is 1.75" and the rear is 1.5", but NO!!!!!!!!

I'm ditching the springs and going with sleeves since it's all about the look :cool:
yea I like my skunk2 coilovers but I hate the non compressive force all the time...I like the adjustablility but at 2 inches I sometimes bottum the shock out on bigger bumps....I kinda wish I had tein HA's with pillow ball mounts:)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Bampf said:
Well, if you are talking about coilover sleeves then I would say there is no need for them, don't get them, get a good spring/shock combo instead.

If you are talking about true coilovers then the question gets more difficult.
If you are using your car solely as a daily driver, then there is no need for true coilovers IMHO. You won't be using the adjustability all that much really, and if you can find a set of springs that are the height that you like, then you don't really need the adjustability either.
If you occasionally race, then I would get a set of springs that you like (and tend towards the stiff side), and I would get adjustable shocks (Koni Yellows).
For the most part the people that get true coilovers are people that either race often, or want the ability to adjust the height without having the problems that sleeves sometimes cause.

If you are serious about racing then you have two choices. The first would be to get a good set of coilovers, preferably with adjustable shocks. Second, and this goes somewhat to what PseudoRealityX was saying, would be to get custom rate springs, and then buy Konis and ask them to revalve the shocks based on your spring rates.
Going with coilovers in this situation gives you the ability to adjust height, which allows you to corner weight the car (which won't help unless you're a pretty good driver already). That's the main thing that sets it apart from a spring/ revalved shock combo.

IMHO, for most people the expense of true coilovers is not necessary, but some people put a lot of value on being able to adjust the height, so it depends on whether being able to adjust the height is a huge factor to you. If it is not, then you'd probably be as happy with a good spring/shock combo as you would be with true coilovers.
i agree totally, but for me, im going to have to go with Ground Controls for the simple reason is that i dont have 2000 bucks laying around to have TrueChoice make a full set of coilovers. I am looking into the possibility of getting some take-offs from an IT racer out of North Carolina though. Also, I'm still debating what to do about the dampeners, either off the shelf adjustable Mazdaspeeds, or Koni inserts. People have had good success with the Mazdaspeeds, but the Konis are rebuildable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts