Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
asianpride559 said:
ill see sup with it later. who sells them?kragen or pepboys? or do i need to go to those race shops where they sell high octane race gas?
my local pepboys doesn't sell it and we don't have kragen around these parts. I ended up going to an import/racer-supply store to get mine. You can also order it online. Check out these guys :

www.lightningmotorsports.com .

If you don't feel like changing fluids in the summer/winter, then you can try just running the mt-90 year round.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Oh my... that thread has quite a bit of mis-information...

1 - GM Synchromesh is not what you want... GM Synchromesh *WITH FRICTION MODIFIER* is the good stuff. The regular stuff isn't worth the trouble.
2 - Nothing wrong with Honda MTF, but Redline is better. Been running it in my tranny for about 2.5yrs.
3 - Synthetics are fine in the honda tranny. The problem is that the tranny requires a GL-4 based lubricant while most of the synthetics out there are GL-5 based. GL-5 based lubricants will eat your synchros. I searched high and low for a GL-4 based lubricant and at the time redline mtl/mt-90 were the only ones that I could find.

I've used both redline mtl and mt-90 in both winter and summer (below freezing winter & >100 deg summer) and I like mt-90 the best. The MTL was just too thin for my tastes.

With that all said, I've heard good things about Torco tranny fluid as well.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Honda recommends changing the tranny fluid every 30k. I change mine once a year, its cheap insurance. It is also incredibly easy. I can change my tranny fluid faster than I can change my oil.

Most of the people that I see that still use honda mtf use one of 2 arguments... 1 - it is good enough and/or 2 - its cheaper than redline. If people say #1 then you can't argue with that. If they say #2, then they are just being silly. In the case of a civic, we only need 1.9L of fluid. So the extra $10 spent at fluid change time on redline really shouldn't be a big deal. I've never seen anyone complain about using redline (or gm synchromesh w/friction modifier for that reason).

As for mixing mtf and redline... I'm not a chemist so I would never try. Ever seen what happens when you mix 2 different oils (of any type) ? They separate plain and simple and you may not even get the same protection that you would have if you just filled the tranny with the lesser oil/fluid. here is an example of what can happen when you add an additive :

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Moral of the story here is don't be a backyard chemist and try to outsmart the folks who made the oil/fluid. Pretty safe to say that they know more than we do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.