Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
$4.43/qt.

http://www.manhonda.com/ap/index.cfm?level=23&PG=0&CFID=1143860&CFTOKEN=53549788

Good lube, like Red Line MTL/MT-90 or Neo 7W is less than double that price. IMHO, this is the wrong time to get chincy. You're talking 8 bones vs. 16 for the best synthetic oil in the world. It's false-economy, if you ask me...
is that other stuff that much better? i do notice that now in colder weather my tranny isnt that smooth. its clunky but as long as it dont grind. ill drop some of that honda fluid in and see if it makes it as smooth as a new car.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
Yes, it IS that much better!

I bought my CiViC new. Right off 'the showroom', it was practically impossible to get into reverse. Worse yet, it would pop out of reverse with a BANG. I was told this was normal, and to give it a few miles. I did and it got worse.

At 9,000 miles I noticed the shifting was getting very 'notchy' for lack of a better word. Out of desperation and exasperation, I decided to change the tranny fluid and see if that would help. I did a LOT of research, and found out Red Line MTL was what a lot of racers were using. As a matter of fact, I had to buy it at a racing supply house; nobody else carried it.

Since then, my Honda dealer, Showcase Honda in Phoenix, has started carrying Red Line MTL and Neo 7W tranny oil in their parts department. This should lay to rest any concerns ppl have as to whether it these synthetic tranny oils will hurt your Honda transaxle and/or affect your warranty.

To make a long story short, I switched to Red Line MTL and ALL my shifting problems went away. My only concern was how 'thin' the oil was. So, in the summer months, I decided to use Red Line MT-90. I doubt if this makes any difference - it just makes ME feel better.

Bottom line is: I have almost 70,000 miles on my ride, and it shifts better now than it did when I drove it off 'the showroom.' The oil always comes out crystal clear when I change it; no sign of metal particles in it. This sh!t is the bomb!
the dealer carrys redline now? which redline should i get if i dont end up getting the Honda one? dont know why your car brand new had problems right off lot. mine dont have the reverse problem but i miss that feeling of that perfectly smooth shifting

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
temp said:
get redline MTL......its the best!....MT-90 is a little thicker, and i still recommend MTL
ill see sup with it later. who sells them?kragen or pepboys? or do i need to go to those race shops where they sell high octane race gas?

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
For MOST ppl, Red Line MTL will work the best year 'round. With MT-90, you'll have to let the oil warm up for a couple of miles before slamming it through the gears.

I drive a LOT of highway miles in Arizona. This is one of the hottest places on Earth in the summer. I run Red Line MT-90 in the summer, for a little extra protection, but MTL would probably work fine. As I said, I do it for my own piece-of-mind as much as anything...

Red Line is the REAL thing. It isn't snake oil. You aren't going to find it most places. I would suggest you call around to drag race supply houses in your area. In this area, I buy it at Loper's Speed Shop. You can buy it on the Internet too. If you don't have any 'speed shops' in your area, the Internet will be your best option.

so the mtl would be the best for me then in cali its both hella hot in the summer and hella cold in winter

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
i got some redline mtl and that shits smooth in cold weather but still not as smooth as a brand new car....but oh well good enoug. i wonder how the redline oils gona run in my car as soon as im due for a oil change

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
Well, this is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.

My tranny is smoother now than when i bought my car. It's smoother than when I started using Red Line tranny oil. I expect it to get smoother as long as I keep using Red Line oil.

When you use synthetic oil, wear is cut to practically zero. Heating and cooling metal makes it stronger; it's called "seasoning."

Put it all together and your tranny will probably start working better too. This is just my opinion, based on my experience. Only time will tell.. :cool:

how often do u change yours out? the place i bought from told me the oil last longer than my clutch and i never need to change until i put a new clutch in. have you tried there motor oil yet? hows that like?

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
As far as changing the tranny oil is concerned - I try to change all fluids every 15K. I don't have the time or inclination to figure out how long it's been since I changed the coolant, tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, et cetera. I just change everything every 15,000 miles (including my spark plugs); cheap insurance, you know? This is what Red Line has to say about it:On Red Line motor oil, MANY racers use Red Line motor oil, especially racers that don't have unlimited resources and sponsors to foot the bill for blown engines.

Please, take my/their word for this. I don't feel like running all over the web looking for links to prove it...

Personally, I run Mobil 1. If you'll notice, most F1 racecars sport Mobil 1 decals.
Mobil 1 motor oil is more than adequate for Honda 4-bangers. Red Line motor oil is no doubt better. However, while I don't mind spending $8/qt for tranny oil, I can't bring myself to spend that much on motor oil, especially when (in the long run) it won't make any difference in a street engine. i.e. less wear and longer life.

If you're a 'weekend warrior', then Red Line motor oil is the way to go. If you drive mostly on the street, use Mobil 1.

BTW, I run Mobil 1 5W30/Red Line MTL in the winter, and Mobil 1 10W30/Red Line MT-90 in the summer. Once again, for most ppl, Mobil 1 5W30/Red Line MTL would be the best combination year 'round.
thats wat im running now mobil 1 5w30. but the price for redline motor oil is high but they said that i could go 12000 miles without changing. you heard anything bout this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.