Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
pushVTEC said:
Just a simple question? adn we are talking about transmission fluid... so why not ask a tranny fluid related question?
Im gonna look really stupid if your being sarcastic, what your asking is just like asking how long would my engine last with very little engine oil, well is it really good for it? and how would anybody really specifically know?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,293 Posts
pushVTEC said:
Jesus christ, lets all flip out about a little question. If it's so dumb and obvious why don't u answer it and stop being asses about it?
Its never good to run your car when it's low on any required fluid. "How long will it last if its low?" That I can't answer, but it will make it wear out much faster, and it could even lock up.

BDC is right in saying synthetic fluids such as redline products are better then motor oil. However, I am going to stick with the OEM fluid from Honda. In the Si's Honda uses synthetic fluid, and I want to stick with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
kommon_sense said:
What is the advantage of using the redline tranny fluids?
Using synthetic oil in your ride is the single best thing you can do for its longevity. In other words, when you use synthetic oil, basically all wear ceases. Mobil 1 ran a BMW on rollers for 1,000,000 miles, took the engine apart and there was practically zero wear. I think one rod bearing was slightly out of spec.

The same 'no wear' situation applies to trannies, and Red Line synthetic gear oil is generally considered the best there is. I buy it at a racing shop where guys spend more on their [top fuel] blocks than I did for my CiViC! Red Line is the only oil they sell there, if that tells you anything....

If you want to read the scoop on Red Line gear oil:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm

in the "SELECT A PRODUCT" box, choose "MANUAL TRANS"


If you want to read about the 1,000,000 BMW test:

http://www.mobil.com/cgi-bin/bld_frameset.cgi?CONTENT=/maff/world/uk/automotive/p6.htm

You can't go wrong with Mobil 1 in your engine and Red Line in the tranny...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
hey BDC to refill the mtf i heard you have to use so kind of hose to put it in? is that correct? how would i do it and where would i get the tube if it is correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
you can get a hose from autozone or pepboys that screws ontop of the mtf bottle and it has a twist on\off valve. There is a hardened plastic tip at the end where you put it in the fill hole of the tranny and add the oil. Redline's bottle doesn't fit the one i have so i put a funnel at the end end just fill it from there. If you want some pics lemme know I can show you what it looks like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
B16a2vtec95 said:
hey BDC to refill the mtf i heard you have to use so kind of hose to put it in? is that correct? how would i do it and where would i get the tube if it is correct?
I just use a funnel with a long flex hose. It's made for pouring oil into automatic transmissions. Or, you could use a pump and do it from underneath the car; like the ones they use for pumping gear lube into differentials. To me, the funnel is fastest and cleaner...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
i just made one, i got a hose and put a funnel in, worked just fine. hey BDC, whats wrong with GL5? Thats all they had at Kragan Autoparts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
CivicSiBeast said:
...hey BDC, whats wrong with GL5? Thats all they had at Kragan Autoparts.
GL-5 gears oils, which are required in most hypoid differentials, are NOT made to be used in synchromesh transmissions and transaxles because the chemicals used to provide the extreme pressure protection can be corrosive to synchronizers, which are commonly made of brass or bronze. GL-5 gear oil will eat your Honda tranny from the inside out, starting with the synchros!
  • BEWARE!!! Typically, the use of a GL-5 lubricant in a synchromesh transmission will shorten the synchronizer life by one half.
The extreme pressure requirements of spur gears and helical gears found in transmissions are not nearly as great as found in rear-wheel drive differentials. GL-4 lubricant provides adequate protection for most manual transmissions, unless a unique design consideration requires the extra protection of a GL-5. Generally speaking, you should NEVER use GL-5 gear oil in ANY transmission, but this is especially true with Honda transaxles.

While motor oils are much more fluid at lower temperatures than gear oils, and they are not corrosive toward synchros, they provide VERY poor gear protection. These lubricants provide almost no extreme-pressure protection. In addition, multigrade motor oils have very poor shear stability. The shearing action by a manual transmission on thickeners is much worse than in an engine. Within 5,000 miles the thickeners can be rendered ineffective and the transmission will be operating on a much reduced level of protection. In hot weather these transmissions will whine and rattle because of poor vibration dampening and metal contact.

Red Line MTL and MT-90 provides the excellent gear protection of a GL-4 gear oil in a synthetic base which spans hot and cold temperatures and will not shear or oxidize with use. The only difference is MT-90 is a little 'thicker' than MTL. Other than that, they use the same chemistry. Once again, Red Line synthetic gear oil is the bomb... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
BDC: when changing transmission fluid, (my 92 civic h/b dx), i believe you are supposed to have the car on level ground. when checking the level, level ground also. how were u able to add the fluid in your tranny with it level? or i mean, did u have a lift? cause i know if the car is at an angle, the fill bolt reading will be off..thanks !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
civic type r said:
BDC: when changing transmission fluid, (my 92 civic h/b dx), i believe you are supposed to have the car on level ground. when checking the level, level ground also. how were u able to add the fluid in your tranny with it level? or i mean, did u have a lift? cause i know if the car is at an angle, the fill bolt reading will be off..thanks !
If you are just checking it, like during a [motor] oil change, fluid should flow out of the 'fill' hole as soon as you remove the plug. If it doesn't, stick your 'pinky' in there. It should come out drenched in oil. If it doesn't, you definitely need to add oil.

Once again, when I change tranny oil, I drain it from underneath, but I refill it using a funnel with a long hose from the engine bay, with the car sitting flat on the ground. It takes a little less than 2 quarts of tranny fluid.

Really, I don't think it makes much difference whether the car is perfectly level or not when you check it, change it or whatever. If that is a concern for you, just put your ride on jacks when going through this procedure. It's probably safer doing it that way anyway, you know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
$4.43/qt.

http://www.manhonda.com/ap/index.cfm?level=23&PG=0&CFID=1143860&CFTOKEN=53549788

Good lube, like Red Line MTL/MT-90 or Neo 7W is less than double that price. IMHO, this is the wrong time to get chincy. You're talking 8 bones vs. 16 for the best synthetic oil in the world. It's false-economy, if you ask me...
is that other stuff that much better? i do notice that now in colder weather my tranny isnt that smooth. its clunky but as long as it dont grind. ill drop some of that honda fluid in and see if it makes it as smooth as a new car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
asianpride559 said:
is that other stuff that much better?...
Yes, it IS that much better!

I bought my CiViC new. Right off 'the showroom', it was practically impossible to get into reverse. Worse yet, it would pop out of reverse with a BANG. I was told this was normal, and to give it a few miles. I did and it got worse.

At 9,000 miles I noticed the shifting was getting very 'notchy' for lack of a better word. Out of desperation and exasperation, I decided to change the tranny fluid and see if that would help. I did a LOT of research, and found out Red Line MTL was what a lot of racers were using. As a matter of fact, I had to buy it at a racing supply house; nobody else carried it.

Since then, my Honda dealer, Showcase Honda in Phoenix, has started carrying Red Line MTL and Neo 7W tranny oil in their parts department. This should lay to rest any concerns ppl have as to whether it these synthetic tranny oils will hurt your Honda transaxle and/or affect your warranty.

To make a long story short, I switched to Red Line MTL and ALL my shifting problems went away. My only concern was how 'thin' the oil was. So, in the summer months, I decided to use Red Line MT-90. I doubt if this makes any difference - it just makes ME feel better.

Bottom line is: I have almost 70,000 miles on my ride, and it shifts better now than it did when I drove it off 'the showroom.' The oil always comes out crystal clear when I change it; no sign of metal particles in it. This sh!t is the bomb!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
Yes, it IS that much better!

I bought my CiViC new. Right off 'the showroom', it was practically impossible to get into reverse. Worse yet, it would pop out of reverse with a BANG. I was told this was normal, and to give it a few miles. I did and it got worse.

At 9,000 miles I noticed the shifting was getting very 'notchy' for lack of a better word. Out of desperation and exasperation, I decided to change the tranny fluid and see if that would help. I did a LOT of research, and found out Red Line MTL was what a lot of racers were using. As a matter of fact, I had to buy it at a racing supply house; nobody else carried it.

Since then, my Honda dealer, Showcase Honda in Phoenix, has started carrying Red Line MTL and Neo 7W tranny oil in their parts department. This should lay to rest any concerns ppl have as to whether it these synthetic tranny oils will hurt your Honda transaxle and/or affect your warranty.

To make a long story short, I switched to Red Line MTL and ALL my shifting problems went away. My only concern was how 'thin' the oil was. So, in the summer months, I decided to use Red Line MT-90. I doubt if this makes any difference - it just makes ME feel better.

Bottom line is: I have almost 70,000 miles on my ride, and it shifts better now than it did when I drove it off 'the showroom.' The oil always comes out crystal clear when I change it; no sign of metal particles in it. This sh!t is the bomb!
the dealer carrys redline now? which redline should i get if i dont end up getting the Honda one? dont know why your car brand new had problems right off lot. mine dont have the reverse problem but i miss that feeling of that perfectly smooth shifting
 
21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top