Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
temp said:
get redline MTL......its the best!....MT-90 is a little thicker, and i still recommend MTL
ill see sup with it later. who sells them?kragen or pepboys? or do i need to go to those race shops where they sell high octane race gas?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
asianpride559 said:
ill see sup with it later. who sells them?kragen or pepboys? or do i need to go to those race shops where they sell high octane race gas?
my local pepboys doesn't sell it and we don't have kragen around these parts. I ended up going to an import/racer-supply store to get mine. You can also order it online. Check out these guys :

www.lightningmotorsports.com .

If you don't feel like changing fluids in the summer/winter, then you can try just running the mt-90 year round.

·
Registered
936 Posts
asianpride559 said:
the dealer carrys redline now? which redline should i get if i dont end up getting the Honda one? dont know why your car brand new had problems right off lot. mine dont have the reverse problem but i miss that feeling of that perfectly smooth shifting
For MOST ppl, Red Line MTL will work the best year 'round. With MT-90, you'll have to let the oil warm up for a couple of miles before slamming it through the gears.

I drive a LOT of highway miles in Arizona. This is one of the hottest places on Earth in the summer. I run Red Line MT-90 in the summer, for a little extra protection, but MTL would probably work fine. As I said, I do it for my own piece-of-mind as much as anything...

Red Line is the REAL thing. It isn't snake oil. You aren't going to find it most places. I would suggest you call around to drag race supply houses in your area. In this area, I buy it at Loper's Speed Shop. You can buy it on the Internet too. If you don't have any 'speed shops' in your area, the Internet will be your best option.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
For MOST ppl, Red Line MTL will work the best year 'round. With MT-90, you'll have to let the oil warm up for a couple of miles before slamming it through the gears.

I drive a LOT of highway miles in Arizona. This is one of the hottest places on Earth in the summer. I run Red Line MT-90 in the summer, for a little extra protection, but MTL would probably work fine. As I said, I do it for my own piece-of-mind as much as anything...

Red Line is the REAL thing. It isn't snake oil. You aren't going to find it most places. I would suggest you call around to drag race supply houses in your area. In this area, I buy it at Loper's Speed Shop. You can buy it on the Internet too. If you don't have any 'speed shops' in your area, the Internet will be your best option.

so the mtl would be the best for me then in cali its both hella hot in the summer and hella cold in winter

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
i got some redline mtl and that shits smooth in cold weather but still not as smooth as a brand new car....but oh well good enoug. i wonder how the redline oils gona run in my car as soon as im due for a oil change

·
Registered
936 Posts
asianpride559 said:
i got some redline mtl and that shits smooth in cold weather but still not as smooth as a brand new car....but oh well good enough...
Give it time. Believe me; it will ONLY get better. It's not a 'Silver Bullet.'

·
Registered
936 Posts
asianpride559 said:
its better after using it for a while?
Well, this is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.

My tranny is smoother now than when i bought my car. It's smoother than when I started using Red Line tranny oil. I expect it to get smoother as long as I keep using Red Line oil.

When you use synthetic oil, wear is cut to practically zero. Heating and cooling metal makes it stronger; it's called "seasoning."

Put it all together and your tranny will probably start working better too. This is just my opinion, based on my experience. Only time will tell.. :cool:

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
Well, this is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.

My tranny is smoother now than when i bought my car. It's smoother than when I started using Red Line tranny oil. I expect it to get smoother as long as I keep using Red Line oil.

When you use synthetic oil, wear is cut to practically zero. Heating and cooling metal makes it stronger; it's called "seasoning."

Put it all together and your tranny will probably start working better too. This is just my opinion, based on my experience. Only time will tell.. :cool:

how often do u change yours out? the place i bought from told me the oil last longer than my clutch and i never need to change until i put a new clutch in. have you tried there motor oil yet? hows that like?

·
Registered
936 Posts
asianpride559 said:
how often do u change yours out? the place i bought from told me the oil last longer than my clutch and i never need to change until i put a new clutch in. have you tried there motor oil yet? hows that like?
As far as changing the tranny oil is concerned - I try to change all fluids every 15K. I don't have the time or inclination to figure out how long it's been since I changed the coolant, tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, et cetera. I just change everything every 15,000 miles (including my spark plugs); cheap insurance, you know? This is what Red Line has to say about it:
SOURCE: http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/mtlti.htm

...Being formulated with extremely stable synthetic basestocks, MTL and MT-90 will last much longer than conventional petroleum lubricants. However, we do not recommend extended drain intervals, since without a filtration system, there is no way to remove metal shavings other than draining the lubricant. The regular maintenance intervals are also recommended to insure that the proper level of the fluid is maintained...
On Red Line motor oil, MANY racers use Red Line motor oil, especially racers that don't have unlimited resources and sponsors to foot the bill for blown engines.

SOURCE: http://www.worldspeed.com/Sponsors.htm

...Red Line Oil's widespread race-winning experience includes NASCAR, IMSA, NHRA, SCCA, Indy, Toyota Atlantic, Off-shore boats, Unlimited Hydroplanes, IJSBA personal watercraft, snowmobile racing, all forms of motorcycle racing and aircraft competition...
Please, take my/their word for this. I don't feel like running all over the web looking for links to prove it...

Personally, I run Mobil 1. If you'll notice, most F1 racecars sport Mobil 1 decals.
Mobil 1 motor oil is more than adequate for Honda 4-bangers. Red Line motor oil is no doubt better. However, while I don't mind spending $8/qt for tranny oil, I can't bring myself to spend that much on motor oil, especially when (in the long run) it won't make any difference in a street engine. i.e. less wear and longer life.

If you're a 'weekend warrior', then Red Line motor oil is the way to go. If you drive mostly on the street, use Mobil 1.

BTW, I run Mobil 1 5W30/Red Line MTL in the winter, and Mobil 1 10W30/Red Line MT-90 in the summer. Once again, for most ppl, Mobil 1 5W30/Red Line MTL would be the best combination year 'round.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
As far as changing the tranny oil is concerned - I try to change all fluids every 15K. I don't have the time or inclination to figure out how long it's been since I changed the coolant, tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, et cetera. I just change everything every 15,000 miles (including my spark plugs); cheap insurance, you know? This is what Red Line has to say about it:On Red Line motor oil, MANY racers use Red Line motor oil, especially racers that don't have unlimited resources and sponsors to foot the bill for blown engines.

Please, take my/their word for this. I don't feel like running all over the web looking for links to prove it...

Personally, I run Mobil 1. If you'll notice, most F1 racecars sport Mobil 1 decals.
Mobil 1 motor oil is more than adequate for Honda 4-bangers. Red Line motor oil is no doubt better. However, while I don't mind spending $8/qt for tranny oil, I can't bring myself to spend that much on motor oil, especially when (in the long run) it won't make any difference in a street engine. i.e. less wear and longer life.

If you're a 'weekend warrior', then Red Line motor oil is the way to go. If you drive mostly on the street, use Mobil 1.

BTW, I run Mobil 1 5W30/Red Line MTL in the winter, and Mobil 1 10W30/Red Line MT-90 in the summer. Once again, for most ppl, Mobil 1 5W30/Red Line MTL would be the best combination year 'round.
thats wat im running now mobil 1 5w30. but the price for redline motor oil is high but they said that i could go 12000 miles without changing. you heard anything bout this?

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
asianpride559 said:
thats wat im running now mobil 1 5w30. but the price for redline motor oil is high but they said that i could go 12000 miles without changing. you heard anything bout this?

i would only do that with a dual oil filter setup

·
Registered
936 Posts
asianpride559 said:
When I run dinosaur juice - like in my Dodge minivan - I change it every 2k. It's the 'cheap insurance' thingie again.

In my CiViC, I change the Mobil 1 every 5k. Honda recommends 7,500 miles with dino juice, so I figure it's safe. I know it's a psychological defect or something, but I can't go any longer than that. I feel bad changing it at 5k, but it's sort of an experiment at this point; engine is doing fine; I'm a nervous wreck...

As far as Red Line motor oil goes, this is what 'they' say:
...Because of the robust polyester base stock and high-performance anticorrosive additive package in Red Line [motor] oils, they are ideal for use in street-driven vehicles at extended drain intervals. Red Line recommends oil changes for engines that are in good condition and do not see frequent starts without warm-ups or short-trips at between 10,000 and 18,000 miles for gasoline engines... or every 12 months, whichever is shorter...
So, let your conscience be YOUR guide. Personally, I couldn't go that long, but...

·
Registered
553 Posts
just change it when it starts getting darker...

and bdc, why is there a Neon posing as a cop car in your sig? :p

·
Registered
936 Posts
hopeful said:
...bdc, why is there a Neon posing as a cop car in your sig? :p
I give up. Why?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Oh my... that thread has quite a bit of mis-information...

1 - GM Synchromesh is not what you want... GM Synchromesh *WITH FRICTION MODIFIER* is the good stuff. The regular stuff isn't worth the trouble.
2 - Nothing wrong with Honda MTF, but Redline is better. Been running it in my tranny for about 2.5yrs.
3 - Synthetics are fine in the honda tranny. The problem is that the tranny requires a GL-4 based lubricant while most of the synthetics out there are GL-5 based. GL-5 based lubricants will eat your synchros. I searched high and low for a GL-4 based lubricant and at the time redline mtl/mt-90 were the only ones that I could find.

I've used both redline mtl and mt-90 in both winter and summer (below freezing winter & >100 deg summer) and I like mt-90 the best. The MTL was just too thin for my tastes.

With that all said, I've heard good things about Torco tranny fluid as well.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Care to post that in the prelude thread. Ive always heard honda mtf and redline is the best to use. I even heard its good to combo.

Also what are you thoughts on the tranny fluid change. Seem good everyone? Is that possible with your trannys , if so I think all honda trannys are similar and I will write up a tech article on this. Just seeing what the forums thought.

Kinda interesting the different wide spread opinion for each forum...

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.