Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Honda recommends changing the tranny fluid every 30k. I change mine once a year, its cheap insurance. It is also incredibly easy. I can change my tranny fluid faster than I can change my oil.

Most of the people that I see that still use honda mtf use one of 2 arguments... 1 - it is good enough and/or 2 - its cheaper than redline. If people say #1 then you can't argue with that. If they say #2, then they are just being silly. In the case of a civic, we only need 1.9L of fluid. So the extra $10 spent at fluid change time on redline really shouldn't be a big deal. I've never seen anyone complain about using redline (or gm synchromesh w/friction modifier for that reason).

As for mixing mtf and redline... I'm not a chemist so I would never try. Ever seen what happens when you mix 2 different oils (of any type) ? They separate plain and simple and you may not even get the same protection that you would have if you just filled the tranny with the lesser oil/fluid. here is an example of what can happen when you add an additive :

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Moral of the story here is don't be a backyard chemist and try to outsmart the folks who made the oil/fluid. Pretty safe to say that they know more than we do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
okay, I've been using 10w30 for my tranny for past 4 years. and yeah its not good but read longggg ago from some website forgot what it was. they say honda recommends motor oil. and now I read this, and it says redline is better. man, using motor oil does fuck up shit in the tranny now my second is bad, third is okay. and rest is blah blah. still runs though but not good when I first bought the car from this lady. when I get my new tranny next time, im goings with redline and mixing it up with lucas because man im tired of this fucked up tranny I have now... :D so NO!!! to motor oil and YES!! to redline and lucas...

ohs yeah, where can I get this redline stuff at? I know lucas is at autozone. but where is redline. been to a few performance shops before and never seen redline fluid anywhere.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.