Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i got a 94 civic EX, stock, just AEM CAI, 2 inch exhaust,

when the ABS light comes on, there is no problem with the brakes when the light is on, it brakes fine, but seems like the abs is not working...

when the ABS light goes off, then i drive it and everytime when i slow down to about 5mph, it gives me a one second of rattle in my brake pedle...it feels like the brake padel is hitting back at me back and fourth and then it catches brake again...it does it over and over everytime i try to slow down when the ABS light is not on...

right now the ABS light is on about 70% of the time and the ABS light goes off about 30% of the time...

any suggestions??? thanks in advance

·
Registered
27 Posts
The pedal going back and forth and hitting you back is definitely the ABS trying to kick in. I'd bet my money on the sensors, theyre probably messed up. Brake hard and fast in the past couple of day? And by hard I mean real hard? If yes, then thats probably it!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
if the light is going on and off intermittently i would say to check the relay, and when a the pedal feels like its hitting you back and forth that is the ABS activating, the brakes will work w/o ABS

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
yeah when the abs light is on, it means that the abs system isn't active so you can actually lock the brakes up completely like normal braking systems.

when the light goes off, then the system is working properly and active so that when you slam the brakes, the abs system will repeated unlock the brakes and relock them as you slow...every time the brakes unlock, the pedal will go down because the pressure on the system is being relieved. every time it then relocks them the pedal will come up at you as the pressure is being re-exerted in the system...and well...it's a hydraulic system and your human foot doesn't have as much force as it so it's going to push your foot back at you successfully....

abs setup does this for a few reasons:

1. locking the brakes leads to deadspots on your tires.
2. locking the brakes causes you to skid which really isn't effective at stopping very fast.
3. by unlocking/locking the brakes you keep traction on the tires to the ground so you slow down faster and safer.
4. it makes you look like an idiot to everyone else as they will see your car lunging a bit and realize you have no idea how to drive so your car had to stop itself since you couldn't so get your cell phone out your ear and pay attention to the road so you don't late brake anymore and have to use the abs system to compensate for you.

(*gasp*! "takes breath"...world's longest runon sentence woohoo!)

and no I didn't make that comment directed at you...just the millions of women I see daily with their cell phones in their ears, big eyeballs poking out, and wheels locking/unlocking in traffic :p

hehe

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
stackz said:
yeah when the abs light is on, it means that the abs system isn't active so you can actually lock the brakes up completely like normal braking systems.

when the light goes off, then the system is working properly and active so that when you slam the brakes, the abs system will repeated unlock the brakes and relock them as you slow...every time the brakes unlock, the pedal will go down because the pressure on the system is being relieved. every time it then relocks them the pedal will come up at you as the pressure is being re-exerted in the system...and well...it's a hydraulic system and your human foot doesn't have as much force as it so it's going to push your foot back at you successfully....

abs setup does this for a few reasons:

1. locking the brakes leads to deadspots on your tires.
2. locking the brakes causes you to skid which really isn't effective at stopping very fast.
3. by unlocking/locking the brakes you keep traction on the tires to the ground so you slow down faster and safer.
4. it makes you look like an idiot to everyone else as they will see your car lunging a bit and realize you have no idea how to drive so your car had to stop itself since you couldn't so get your cell phone out your ear and pay attention to the road so you don't late brake anymore and have to use the abs system to compensate for you.

(*gasp*! "takes breath"...world's longest runon sentence woohoo!)

and no I didn't make that comment directed at you...just the millions of women I see daily with their cell phones in their ears, big eyeballs poking out, and wheels locking/unlocking in traffic :p

hehe

abs is gay

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot for your reply guys...much appreciate it, i will look at those things n let u know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts