Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning in the near future to change my system in my 03 accord coupe ex-l. i don't mod or do any repairs but from my knowledge i know that the limiter on the current gen accord system is 170 watts for all 6 speakers. that means i cannot add an amp or sub and push out the system to the fullest. i do hope to add in some good speakers but i want to get its double the 170 wattage. so i heard you can wire past the limiter and get it work perfectly fine at the power you want it to without changing the deck (i don't want to change it as it's essential to the car IMO no substitute).

how the hell do you do it? i dont need too much details but what needs to be done. im not looking to do anything crazy just maybe a 400 watt system

·
Registered
43 Posts
i dont understand why you cant add an amp..
You need a high to low inverter, that will take the high level signal of your factory radio and inverter the signal to low level rca's..

ive also done the JL Audio clean sweep in the 7thgens, its a beautiful piece of electronics. You should look into it..

as for an amp, may i suggest the Memphis adiou baby belle, its a 5 chan amp that does 55x4 to the interiors and 400w to the sub channel..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my idea is really first replace the 6 speaker system, i dont really need a sub or amp. i just want something that will sound hell of a lot beter and sure rock the car more than these stock speakers.

but i would need somethingthat would hook up to 6 speaker system, that amp does 4 which u just mentioned

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
You car only has 4 speakers, the extra two are just tweeters, which is a part of the two front speakers, they just say 6 speakers because it sounds better. When they rate the system to be 170w, I am willing to bet that they are rated at peak power which means nothing. You can get 4 speakers rated at about 50wRMS each, it will sound a lot better then the 170wPEAK power your system is rated at. I bet the RMS power of each stock speakers is about 10wRMS or so only.

Most decks will output about 10-13wRMS per channel. If you replace the speakers you will want to add an amp in order to match up the power. For some people, the deck power is enough to satifiy them. But if you want better sound, more clear, louder fuller sound, get a 4 channel amp. The amp dont have to be super expensive, you can get a budget $100 amp something like Profile or Power Accoustick and that will get you a lot better sound.

·
Registered
894 Posts
All you need is a solid stage at the front. Get some component speakers and amplify them. :number1

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
SuperAkuma is exactly right....by just adding a 4chnl. you'll notice huge diffrence. but your factory speakers are made of paper. so if you change out the speakers with aftermarket you'll notice better clarity, and better detail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
killer B said:
SuperAkuma is exactly right....by just adding a 4chnl. you'll notice huge diffrence. but your factory speakers are made of paper. so if you change out the speakers with aftermarket you'll notice better clarity, and better detail.
oh yeah definitely, I'm not looking for anything too fancy or that shakes the streets. i want it loud and clear, good amount of bass enough to catch the eye of people on the streets (if i wanted). 400 or 500 watts is quite a bit. I wish they had GOOD mods for the center console though. its annoying

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
if you want clean sound for not much money then check out JL Audio "TR" series. TR650CSI up front and TR690CXI in the rear, amp em w/ a single 12" ported sub in the trunk and call it a day. thanks i'll be here all day :byye

1 - 9 of 9 Posts