Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I came to a stop the other day and the car was vibrating very badly. There was also a ticking sound as it was doing it. The RPM level did NOT change/drop at all, so instantly I knew it was the AC unit.

A couple days later it started making a grinding sound and all kinds of weird noises when coming to a stop, driving slowly (only time i can hear it with loud car/radio) and when first starting it up in the morning with the AC on.

If I turn the AC OFF and the compressor goes off, it stops. It only happens when the compressor kicks in. What really gets me is that the compressor still works, the belts are fine, and the air is cool that comes out. The catch is, it's not EVERY single TIME I drive that this happens, just when it wants to.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be??? And any way to check the compressor to see if it's the culprit? If the compressor locks up, will the car still be drivable? Since the belt is on the engine pully??

It's an Integra 2000 LS

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
try not starting your car in the morning with the AC on for a couple of days. i heard you're not supposed to do that. you're supposed to let the car idle and warm up naturally in the morning.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, tried it, didnt make a difference. Its not just when it's started with the air on, it's also when I am driving around town. It just starts doing it at idle/park/slow RPM's, regardless of how it's started.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently got my AC up and running again. There was a two year hiatus due to the super expensive line that cracked on me one day. I got a free one from my friend and just got the line replaced the other day and charged. My car does that too, and it's really boggy. I sprayed some WD40 hoping it would help, and it's a little better, but still not the greatest. It's only when I turn on my AC that it does it. My RPM does drop a little though. The compressor spins with the pulley, then locks up for a bit, then my rpm drops, and it kicks back on and my engine bogs.

And if it finally seizes up, you're going to have to not turn on your AC until you get a new compressor. It's definately the clutch inside of the compressor, I know that much for sure. I'm going to ride on it for a few more days and see if it goes away. But yeah I haven't turned on my compressor for a few years, so I'm not sure why your's is doing what it does, but the symptoms sound the same.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My brother was talking to my cousin who works at a Checkers (Kragen, et al) and apparantly he says we need oil for the A/C compressor. Mine's pretty much been dry for years so that's why mine seizes and bogs up my engine. I haven't done it yet because it's kind of pricey.

You can pick up a bottle ($40-60 :eek ) at your local auto parts store and it plugs up right into the same spot as where your freon goes. The compressor should be able to suck it in, however it's best if you get it done at a shop with the proper equipment like when charging your A/C. I don't know how much that'll cost, but I'm sure it's probably around the $80-100 range with labor.

I'll let you know when I get it done.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
TycoRC said:
My brother was talking to my cousin who works at a Checkers (Kragen, et al) and apparantly he says we need oil for the A/C compressor. Mine's pretty much been dry for years so that's why mine seizes and bogs up my engine. I haven't done it yet because it's kind of pricey.

You can pick up a bottle ($40-60 :eek ) at your local auto parts store and it plugs up right into the same spot as where your freon goes. The compressor should be able to suck it in, however it's best if you get it done at a shop with the proper equipment like when charging your A/C. I don't know how much that'll cost, but I'm sure it's probably around the $80-100 range with labor.

I'll let you know when I get it done.
wtf? It is eaither locked up or not, it won't seize up then be free later on. I don't think you understand how it works, what you are seeing it the clutch letting go of the compressor because the pressures hit there maximum limit. The clutch will kick on and off from time to time depending on the pressure.

Anyways to see if it is your compressor run the car and use a long ass screw driver as a listening tool, put one end on your comepressor and your ear to the other and you will beable to tell if thats where the nocie is coming from. Also it could be your condesor fan. The fact that you said there is a vibration makes me think its the fan, it will run the whole time your a/c is running.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trust me, I know it sounds farfetched, but it siezes and frees up. The belt stops, screeches, my rpm falls a little and bogs the engine, then the belt finally pulls loose, the engine rocks back and forth, and the rpm goes back up to normal idle. I haven't had A/C for a while, but I remember that if the clutch lets go, the main pulley still spins.

I will try the screw driver thing. I don't have a vibration like djcaseanova though aside from when my engine rocks back and forth. It's only from time to time with me now. It was worse when I first got it up and running again.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
TycoRC said:
Trust me, I know it sounds farfetched, but it siezes and frees up. The belt stops, screeches, my rpm falls a little and bogs the engine, then the belt finally pulls loose, the engine rocks back and forth, and the rpm goes back up to normal idle. I haven't had A/C for a while, but I remember that if the clutch lets go, the main pulley still spins.

I will try the screw driver thing. I don't have a vibration like djcaseanova though aside from when my engine rocks back and forth. It's only from time to time with me now. It was worse when I first got it up and running again.
Thats normal, I was just making sure because some people think their shit is broke when the clutch releases.
You don't need to do the screw driver thing, you already know its your pump lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks, but yeah it got rear ended recently. The car doesn't look bad cosmetically because you can't even tell it's been in an accident aside from the chipped paint, however on a structural level, that's a different story. I'm not even sure how much of the unibody is damaged. The accident has totally ruined my enthusiasm in my car, so my rims and front lip are still sitting in the shed. I'm plan to sell it, I have a friend who's willing to buy it regardless of the damage. Well the whole story is here:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276766

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i really need to get it checked out for my vibrations. it's really putting a damper on driving because power loss is VERY noticable now, and the vibrations are starting to occur while actually driving instead of just at a stop. I can feel them and it makes so much vibrations now that I can feel it in the steering wheel until the compressor turns off. When it turns on as I am driving you can definitely feel it .... sort of tighten up as you're giving it gas like it doesn't want to spin as freely...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got some of that oil put in. I had a cousin who had half a spare bottle and a small pressure gauge to measure it as it was going in. It spins a little more easily now. It still seems to get stuck once in a long while, but it isn't really as noticeable. It would have been better if I put it in first and then put in the freon. Plus the car sucked up only about 1/4-1/3 of the bottle. Either way I'm happy because I can't really feel the power loss as much anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts