Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

AC issue - heavy vibration/grinding

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  TycoRC 
#1 ·
Okay, so I came to a stop the other day and the car was vibrating very badly. There was also a ticking sound as it was doing it. The RPM level did NOT change/drop at all, so instantly I knew it was the AC unit.

A couple days later it started making a grinding sound and all kinds of weird noises when coming to a stop, driving slowly (only time i can hear it with loud car/radio) and when first starting it up in the morning with the AC on.

If I turn the AC OFF and the compressor goes off, it stops. It only happens when the compressor kicks in. What really gets me is that the compressor still works, the belts are fine, and the air is cool that comes out. The catch is, it's not EVERY single TIME I drive that this happens, just when it wants to.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be??? And any way to check the compressor to see if it's the culprit? If the compressor locks up, will the car still be drivable? Since the belt is on the engine pully??

It's an Integra 2000 LS

Discussion starter · #4 ·
yes, tried it, didnt make a difference. Its not just when it's started with the air on, it's also when I am driving around town. It just starts doing it at idle/park/slow RPM's, regardless of how it's started.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
yeah i really need to get it checked out for my vibrations. it's really putting a damper on driving because power loss is VERY noticable now, and the vibrations are starting to occur while actually driving instead of just at a stop. I can feel them and it makes so much vibrations now that I can feel it in the steering wheel until the compressor turns off. When it turns on as I am driving you can definitely feel it .... sort of tighten up as you're giving it gas like it doesn't want to spin as freely...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.