Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
[redacted] said:
wats a good way to improve your acceleration, but doesnt cost that much........i got a 94 civic
is it manual or auto and to improve your acceleration: forced induction all the way.

But seriously, how much money do you want to spend?

What mods do you currently have?

·
Registered
471 Posts
some dirt cheap ideas would be a tune up, air filter, fuel filter, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil change. a cheap intake, that fuel cleaner works pretty good. auto dosen't pull unless u floor it and then it still doesn't move, buy a new car or convert to manual asap!

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
[redacted] said:
its a auto.....sadly, but i dunno how much i would spend......
give it a tune-up... that is about the best that you are going to get out of an auto.... You could get the tranny redone or get a performance torque converter from www.levelten.com . Not too expensive if you can do your own work.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Look at your long term goals. If all you want is just a little burst of acceleration, do some maintenance (especially that fuel filter). If you want a major difference, consider exactly what you want and how to get it. You pretty much get what you pay for so if you want some serious power, be ready to spend some serious money.

·
Registered
41 Posts
get a quality intake header and exhaust.

thats the best first step, then i would agree to use nitrous.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I don't really see how nitrous is going to help with acceleration. I didn't think that you were supposed to spray in the lower gears.

The biggest improvement that he can get for an automatic would probably be to do a manual conversion using a z6 or y8 tranny.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
yeah, I'd say do the manual swap but if you definitely intend to keep the auto then the first mod is obvious.

get rid of excess weight. If you don't care about creature comforts then dump it all. Downgrade your stereo as much as possible. All trunk linings go bye bye, carpet goes bye bye (if not then at least pull it up and rip out the jute underneath it). back seat gone, power accessories and a/c gone. Get underneath with some scraping tools and take off the undercoating. etc etc.

Unless you're running an agressive cam profile don't go too much over the stock stall rating on the converter...but a stall converter about 600-800rpm over stock will be nice and shift kit is good to. After that, general mods are ok but you'll still be suffering with that basically stock auto tranny....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.