Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just got a automatic 2000 v6 accord lx coupe because my trusty acura legend was stolen. I'm looking into modding it, but because I'm a noob I thought I'd ask all of you what you thought and if you had any suggestions.
1. magnaflow dual exhaust
2. aem short ram intake (no CAI, we have giant puddles where I am)
3. headers (I hear that DC headers are crap for preludes so I can only assume that they're the same for accords)
4. springs (the stock springs/shocks are hard and stiff, i hear that tein makes great ones)

but before I drop a few grand down, what do you think?

thanks.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Some Info

hey buddy, here my input spend a few Grand wisely,
1) Dont get the Magnaflow daul exhaust, go to custom shop for the exhaust, prolly run you around $200-$250 for 2 1/4" piping
-To mod the Cat Convertor w/out engine light on, have them taken out and knock out the honey comb after where the O2 sensor is inserted. On 4 cylinders the O2 is in the middle of cat.

2) You can run CAI with a Bypass Valve look them uo pn ebay, or stick with the short-ram, Shorter piping can be better. go on Ebay for Intake, Dont spend rediculous AEM sticker prices, its the same piping. Cost$100 at most

3) DEFINETLY A MUST, Get a good name brand, I have to Replace my Megan Racing 3 times, Obx makes good ones though.$300

4) Rememeber Camber is not adjustable, so lowering your car without the Adj Cmaber kit will cost you more in tires, my friend goes through fornt tires every 2 months, and still will not listen to me, haha. $300 camber kit, $150 Adjustable coilovers

5)Where am i at alittle over a GRAND, and youll have one hell of a NOISE Ordinence, Now you got some dough to buy nitrous and blow some peeps out of the water.

PEACE

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Dont listen to any of this advice below, its almost all wrong
accordpower99 said:
hey buddy, here my input spend a few Grand wisely,
1) Dont get the Magnaflow daul exhaust, go to custom shop for the exhaust, prolly run you around $200-$250 for 2 1/4" piping
-To mod the Cat Convertor w/out engine light on, have them taken out and knock out the honey comb after where the O2 sensor is inserted. On 4 cylinders the O2 is in the middle of cat.

2) You can run CAI with a Bypass Valve look them uo pn ebay, or stick with the short-ram, Shorter piping can be better. go on Ebay for Intake, Dont spend rediculous AEM sticker prices, its the same piping. Cost$100 at most

3) DEFINETLY A MUST, Get a good name brand, I have to Replace my Megan Racing 3 times, Obx makes good ones though.$300

4) Rememeber Camber is not adjustable, so lowering your car without the Adj Cmaber kit will cost you more in tires, my friend goes through fornt tires every 2 months, and still will not listen to me, haha. $300 camber kit, $150 Adjustable coilovers

5)Where am i at alittle over a GRAND, and youll have one hell of a NOISE Ordinence, Now you got some dough to buy nitrous and blow some peeps out of the water.

PEACE

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
chubbiebunnie said:
Hey guys. Just got a automatic 2000 v6 accord lx coupe because my trusty acura legend was stolen. I'm looking into modding it, but because I'm a noob I thought I'd ask all of you what you thought and if you had any suggestions.
1. magnaflow dual exhaust
2. aem short ram intake (no CAI, we have giant puddles where I am)
3. headers (I hear that DC headers are crap for preludes so I can only assume that they're the same for accords)
4. springs (the stock springs/shocks are hard and stiff, i hear that tein makes great ones)

but before I drop a few grand down, what do you think?

thanks.
Magnaflow makes a 50 state legal exhaust, it also has a good tone. Now I am against dual exhaust BUT THAT ONLY APPLIES TO 4 CYL vehicles. You have a V6 so the dual would serve you quite well. Another exhaust to keep things mellow and quieter would be the Apexi WS exhaust.
The AEM Short Ram intake is also 48 state legal which will help if you get pulled over. It will give you a decent gain over stock and will make some noise if you so desire too, you will also notice an increase in mpg if you dont hammer the gas pedal like most do.
DC headers being crap for preludes, you need to research more as they are not. The welding could be touched up and the only reason why the prelude guys and some accord guys would claim they are not good is because of some welding. The collector is also pretty small too so some of the guys do a collector mod to increase the flow of this header. Now for preludes they are a performance car, an accord is a family car, keep those things in mind. As far as performance goes and reliability goes, you will get a pretty good gain in efficiency and some performance out of this header. I ran it and it worked quite well, I even went back to stock after a few months and the difference was immediately noticable. You can see a review from two people for 5th gen accords here
http://www.gen5alive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71

Tein SPRINGS are not all that great for lowering and performance. The stock springs/shocks SHOULD NOT be stiff. Tein makes some GREAT coilovers though and if you are looking for just height adjustable then Tein Basics would be good. If you want a bit more then look into Tein Super street coilovers as they will offer a good price point in performance, adjustability and appearance.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Now I am against dual exhaust "BUT THAT ONLY APPLIES TO 4 CYL vehicles. "

Here we go some guy with an ego prob, where did i say get a single exhaust? If you were smart enough u would kno i qouted 200-250 thats for DUAL!

Next if you want the fastest way to empty yur wallet follow his idea, I've done this to all three of my accord in florida and have not had a ticket on that yet, not saying its legal, but id take my chances.

Go ahead and buy just your coilovers buddy and see how many tires you go through w/out camber kit, but dont listen to me go to your local shop that aligns cars, and ask them about lowering your car w/out adjustable camber kit.

As for Picachu stick to CARTOONS!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
You have proven me correct. Also my screen name has nothing to do with knowledge, quit trying to be "right" on everything and focus on facts.
accordpower99 said:
Now I am against dual exhaust "BUT THAT ONLY APPLIES TO 4 CYL vehicles. "

Here we go some guy with an ego prob, where did i say get a single exhaust? If you were smart enough u would kno i qouted 200-250 thats for DUAL!

Next if you want the fastest way to empty yur wallet follow his idea, I've done this to all three of my accord in florida and have not had a ticket on that yet, not saying its legal, but id take my chances.

Go ahead and buy just your coilovers buddy and see how many tires you go through w/out camber kit, but dont listen to me go to your local shop that aligns cars, and ask them about lowering your car w/out adjustable camber kit.

As for Picachu stick to CARTOONS!
I already said the dual is for V6 and I am against it on 4cyl. You have no real point on the price, I never refuted that.

The fastest way to empty a wallet has nothing to do with what the poster wants. Also The parts can be found cheaper than what you think, I found a complete catback exhaust for $160 which was a barely used Tanabe, I found an intake for $35 which was an AEM and a header for $100. Cost was $295 for intake, header and exhaust so you have no point there either.
Just because you havent had a ticket doesnt mean that your luck will apply to the original guy who posted this thread. He could get ticketed and fined in the first week if he went with any old intake or exhaust or whatever, you don't know the facts of where he lives and neither do I. So why try to just point anything out to him, he came here for a reason and posted. Don't give bad advice. You take your chances, why are you going to put that kind of irresponsibility on someone else.

As far as the coilovers and tire wear goes, you have no facts there either on the tire wear. I had the washer/bolt camber fix in the rear and a anchor bolt camber kit up front and no excessive tire wear. In fact I had a pretty aggressive road stance while not having anymore increased wear.
Also the original poster asked about springs, not camber. You mentioned camber. He also never asked about nitrous so I have no idea why you mentioned it. As far as the coilovers go on camber, again he can use Tein coilovers or any coilovers worth their snuff (D2, Tein, Omni, Ground controls) and adjust it to the point where he is lowered but still within manufacturer specifications so that he wont have excessive tire wear. Remember, accords can go up to about -/+ 1.15 or 1.25 and still be within spec. With adjustable coilovers like I mentioned he could raise or lower the car to get that, with a camber kit which would be lower than the $300 that you mentioned and installed by him because it is quite easy, he could go lower and then adjust to be within spec.

Also, on the prices for parts, any person with some time and patience can find good deals.

Slightly used but still in REALLY new condition Tanabe catback exhaust cost me $160

Intake cost me about $35 for an AEM Short ram

Header cost me about $100 for a DC Sports

Total cost? $295 for parts still in really good condition and the prior use didnt affect performance at all. Cost to install was nothing because I did the installs too.

Add camber kit? $100

Total cost? $395 with camber kit installed for everything, intake, header, exhaust.

I also had Tein SS coilovers purchased which were $850 about 2 years ago and an alignment done for front and rear. I got a lifetime alignment purchased so I can get an alignment done as many times as I want for the life of the car. You can get those at Firestone tires and it is about $149.99

So.......We add original cost which was $395 and add in the lifetime alignment and the coilovers I bought for $850 and then aligned.

So....

850 Coilovers
149.99 Lifetime alignment
395 Beginning cost of header, intake, exhaust, camber kit

1394.99 Total cost which is much smaller than the original "few grand" that the poster was going to put into all this. I mean hell if he gave me a few bucks to buy some tacos or beer I could even help him go find parts.

·
Banned
125 Posts
those r great deals on parts if u can find them like that, not sure wut resources he has, but when u go as far as saying all this info is "almost incorrect" is were u messed up. I was giving general qoutes without the hookups if he knows anybody. Those qoutes are about the avg price to pay. Whenever you lower the car or even change rims will impact the camber, unfortunely the 96-02 prolly even beofre that does not have adjustable camber. therefore u have to get the camber kit if u dont want to go through tires every 2 months, unless u have stock tires, u may get alittle longer life but it all depends on how much hes gonna drop his ride.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
accordpower99 said:
those r great deals on parts if u can find them like that, not sure wut resources he has, but when u go as far as saying all this info is "almost incorrect" is were u messed up. I was giving general qoutes without the hookups if he knows anybody. Those qoutes are about the avg price to pay. Whenever you lower the car or even change rims will impact the camber, unfortunely the 96-02 prolly even beofre that does not have adjustable camber. therefore u have to get the camber kit if u dont want to go through tires every 2 months, unless u have stock tires, u may get alittle longer life but it all depends on how much hes gonna drop his ride.
I dont care what we've just gone through in this thread, If you wanted a deal too i'd help you out as well. It's the internet and we all go through too much crap on a daily basis to get it online here too, I think about 3 weeks ago if you and I got into this debate we would still be flaming each other and all that jazz. I'd be getting all worked up and we'd be saying this and that and that and this.....but it's all too lame. You and me and even the original guy in here are auto enthusiests, we should work together.
You do have a point about the retail prices though, without knowing where to look or that sort of thing the cost would skyrocket like crazy.
The camber is not factory adjustable but aftermarket takes care of that quite nicely. I am against dropping a vehicle very far, it serves very little performance increase and can actually yield a performance DECREASE. There is a balance between lowering, performance increase and looks. Finding that balance is the hard part.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
accordpower99 said:
But tacos Bell and some beer n ill put them headers and intake on, haha!
As oddball as that offer sounds, it actually works and has proven useful for me.
I told one guy that I would help him do camber kit for Carl's jr food and some money, guess what? I did the work, got paid and then ate lunch free.
Not bad for a 2-3 hrs job.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
chubbiebunnie said:
Hm, beer and tacos sound good and reasonable enough...so how about them parts? :D
I can help you look, where are you located?
As far as finding parts I can help you and keep in mind it can take days or even weeks to find a good deal.
It's all about negotiating and patience really.
I use the following sites for parts
www.craigslist.com <- very useful, search in auto parts section for the term, accord or whatever you are looking for such as "header" or "intake" or "accord intake" things like that
www.ebay.com <- Useful too but watch out for obnoxious shipping charges, it costs about $65-70 to ship a suspension system from california to FL.
www. honda society .com <- mainly for 5th gen accords but 6th gen stuff pops up from time to time
www.accordinglydone.com <- Good on occasion
www.homemadeturbo.com <- more for turbo parts
www.gen5alive.com <- dedicated 5th gen forum
www.accord tuner.com <- Overall a well balanced site, nothing focused tho
www.v6performance.net <- Dedicated 6th and 7th gen accord forum, would probably serve you best for your car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oof..not such a fan of light beer..(but I've just taken up a 6 pack challenge so I guess that's what I'll be stuck on for the next few months)

I can help you look, where are you located?
I'm in Southern Californi. (where else can you get great tacos without the threat of diseases)

I'm also thinking of putting in subs and replacing my back speakers. I was thinking either 2 8inchers or a 10. Any opinions? Is there a difference on which I do first, sound or the other mods?

I only want to drop my car around 1.5, we have wonderful ditches and speed bumps that can carve up my car quite nicely if it's been dropped too much. Would I still have to get a camber kit and all that good stuff? I just want a little drop and a smooth ride. My Accord on the freeway now makes teeth chatter.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
chubbiebunnie said:
oof..not such a fan of light beer..(but I've just taken up a 6 pack challenge so I guess that's what I'll be stuck on for the next few months)

I'm in Southern Californi. (where else can you get great tacos without the threat of diseases)

I'm also thinking of putting in subs and replacing my back speakers. I was thinking either 2 8inchers or a 10. Any opinions? Is there a difference on which I do first, sound or the other mods?

I only want to drop my car around 1.5, we have wonderful ditches and speed bumps that can carve up my car quite nicely if it's been dropped too much. Would I still have to get a camber kit and all that good stuff? I just want a little drop and a smooth ride. My Accord on the freeway now makes teeth chatter.
I'm in huntington beach. hhhhahahaha
One 10 will be better as you will have less to worry about, I like Alpine Type R subs or Kicker Comp VR10 subs. Those are the name brand subs, there are others we could look into as well. Install we can do for free. Replacing back speakers huh? You will want to get the best rear speakers for your budget and listening habits and match them to a good amp first. Subs can come later on. Aftermarket speakers are more efficien than the OEM stock ones so you will immediately notice a difference if you do speakers first.

1.5inch drop you are looking at H&R Springs or Eibach prokit and to match it up with a nicer ride you will want aftermarket shocks too. I'd recommend Tokico or KYB struts but with a stronger lean towards Tokico blues. Camber at that drop should not be an issue but for adjustability in height and damper and good ride I would go with Tein SS coilovers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha huntington eh? I was just there last week to look at some guy's 00 civic lx. Too bad he wanted 8.5 k for it.

I'm not very sound system oriented but I was thinking of Kicker 6" x 9" 3-way speakers , or maybe the ones by Pioneer. As far as amps go, I just want something decent that's priced at around under 200. The thing is, I already have an Alpine headunit. (It's old so it's at 60 watts x 4)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
chubbiebunnie said:
haha huntington eh? I was just there last week to look at some guy's 00 civic lx. Too bad he wanted 8.5 k for it.

I'm not very sound system oriented but I was thinking of Kicker 6" x 9" 3-way speakers , or maybe the ones by Pioneer. As far as amps go, I just want something decent that's priced at around under 200. The thing is, I already have an Alpine headunit. (It's old so it's at 60 watts x 4)

Any suggestions?
I get 20% off of pioneer stuff. hahaha
Anyways back on topic Kicker 6x9 are alright, Pioneers sound a bit better.
Amps, just get one that is from Phoenix gold, JBL, Alpine V12, Xtant, or I think Rockford fosgate are good amps.

·
Banned
125 Posts
" I'd be getting all worked up and we'd be saying this and that and that and this.....but it's all too lame. You and me and even the original guy in here are auto enthusiests, we should work together. "

Hey bro i agree with you there, I have been working on cars for about 5 years now, not major work but brake jobs, headers, intakes, cdplayers to subwoofers, etc. So I have some experience and will be glad to help anyone out, WE should work togethere hopefully diagnosis these problems together. Im going to start being on here more.

·
Banned
125 Posts
I have the MTX 12" 8000's with Rockford fosgate 801s amp, trying to sell now, that amp is certified at like 932watts RMS . Its actually to strong for the subs. But defiently agree wit Picachu on The Kickers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.