Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i want to know how to get the most bang for my pesos... i have a 94 accord lx 4door i'd like to autox this summer, but it's my daily driver so i'd like to get better mpgs. i've heard a MSD pro cap/rotor/coil will fix a aparent weak spark problem? and i suppose some ngk power cables would follow? new plugs? i think a header would help too, are pacestters good i'd hate to drop $300-$400 on a part that would help too much. i'd like an exhaust system but nobody has complete kits, i'd hate to take my car in for a shop job that would only last for a year or not be manderal bent. btw if any of you have of these parts or connections to someone with better prices let me know. thx

· Registered
45 Posts
you have a choice in headers. there is the ever present DCs, Megan Racing headers. As for an exhaust, you have some options as well, APEX WS 2, Greddy EVO 2, ect. BTW, what do you mean full exhaust? Cat-back or a full system from the headers back?. Do some looking around here and other accord forums and you'll find what you're looking for.

As for better MPG, well I've always been under the impression that power adders will decrease you're MPG, I could be wrong. I know people on here and other boards will say that you should auto-x your car stock, or as close to stock as possible, before adding things so that you can get a feel for what the car is capable of and where there is room for improvement.

Someone with more experience in these fields should be able to help you more than I can, lol had mine since 07 and its still 100% stock.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
A cold air intake will help your gas mileage a bit, make your exhaust sound a lil deeper, and look neat. A header can either help or hurt your mileage, it really depends on the motor itself and if its choked up or not badly with the stock system.

Ebay intakes and headers are perfectly fine performance-wise, the problem lies in the welding and such, some people have had a weld crack on them, while others, like myself, have never had any issues.

BTW why you asking? your info on th left shows you already got em lol, are you just asking for confirmation or whatever?

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
you do not have weak spark stop reading magazines. the stock ignitions is good to 400whp and jsut get an ebay exhaust. they're all mandrel bent and run about 200 shipped. stay away from msd. you don't have a race car you'll only fuck up what you have. all of those breather mods will only help mpg on highway cruising under light load. they can actually make your mpg worse during regular driving. more air in the motor means more fuel being burnt.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
best bang for your buck for a daily driver who will auto x a few times this season?

suspension and a good set of summer performance tires.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was just trying to be funny bout the pesos... thx but i had a honda guy tell me tht if i did the msd ignition i could run better octane more effciently... and i do not HAVE those parts, those are yet to come... i am just toying with idea of autox i have other shit goin on and i'd like to just do it with my bros but anyways thx...

· Registered
10,346 Posts
MSD ignition will have only slight effects dude. You would be looking at a fractional increase to gasmileage and a little better torque in your topend. If you get it free or very cheap its worth it, otherwise not. As far as octane, use the lowest octane level that doesnt make your engine run rough. Too low and too hgih leaves lots of deposits. 89 or 91 on a stop motor is perfectly fine. turbo, maybe 92 or 93 as long as your tuned for it

lots of options though

· Registered
3,077 Posts
I got a knock-off ebay exhaust on my accord. recently(this last week or so) I've developed a rattling in my resonator, I'm unbolting it in a few hours to see whats up. I'll repost here.

AutoX? I'd hope its a stick. I would also do suspension first. Read up on suspension parts in a suspension FAQ done by LordAccord, good stuff for newbies. Get a chipped ecu and tune your car. Replace all fluids. IIRC the LX doesn't normally have anti-lock brakes, though it might have been a dealer option, most new drivers benefit greatly from ABS. If your worried about spark problems look up the resistance values for primary and secondary coils, and verify they are within specs. The only thing MSD that I'll put on a car still running pump gas is plug wires, and in a rare case OEM rotor/dist if I got a hellacious deal. Highest cost plug I'd run is NGK Iridium IX, stay away from double tipped electrodes... such as bosch +2,+4's they blow ass.

If your getting new tires, look for rim/tire combo and keep weight in mind. I would recommend staying stock sized for a rim, and if you want a bigger tire most 6.5 rims can fit 225 width. Big brake kits are shit, if you use good rotors and pads you won't have a problem stopping. HPS pads from HAWK and Brembo blanks were recommended to me once and I believe them to be the best choice without a drastic change.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
MSD ignition will have only slight effects dude. You would be looking at a fractional increase to gasmileage and a little better torque in your topend. If you get it free or very cheap its worth it, otherwise not. As far as octane, use the lowest octane level that doesnt make your engine run rough. Too low and too hgih leaves lots of deposits. 89 or 91 on a stop motor is perfectly fine. turbo, maybe 92 or 93 as long as your tuned for it

lots of options though
msd ignition will do NOTHING for his car at all. the stock ignitions is good to 400whp.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thx... well i guess we'll agree to disagree cause i trust my dude he definately knows his shit he says tht it will help cruising mpgs and i'm not looking at suspesion parts yet i know i will prolly almost need em... i'm new to hondas, not autox i've been helping my friends with all their shit for the last few years. the most i'll do to my car right now is sway bars and tires but i need to keep my ride cheap otherwise it's not very practical.i just want a quick ride not full out b/c its my daily driver. i would like to invest in something else cheap to make it my full autox racer, maybe like a mx-5 or a legacy, maybe even a hatch civic.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
msd ignition will do NOTHING for his car at all. the stock ignitions is good to 400whp.
The MSD ignition is actually good for producing a slightl power increase in the high revs. Its not felt AT ALL, but proof is there that it helps. And honda ignition is good for 600 crank HP, not 400 :lol

It DOES have an effect, but its so small its not worth the money to have. Its more of a bling bling factor under the hood

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I guarentee an MX-5 or legacy will be WAY more expensive to make auto-x worthy then a honda. Honda parts are cheap, take well to boltons, and handle good from the factory. I have blown shocks and one brand new front spring (rest 200k miles on em :lol ) and no sway bars, and I can outhandle several newer cars with 4 and 6 cyl motors. and I have the disadvantage of having a removable roof (not stiff)

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
The MSD ignition is actually good for producing a slightl power increase in the high revs. Its not felt AT ALL, but proof is there that it helps. And honda ignition is good for 600 crank HP, not 400 :lol

It DOES have an effect, but its so small its not worth the money to have. Its more of a bling bling factor under the hood
not really get some nice ignition wires and plugs and you'll be fine. if i was running 600 hp i wouldn' have anything near stock ignition.

if you compared msd on a virtually stock motor vs another stock motor with upgraded wires and plugs...not 10 year old factory parts going bad. i doubt you'd see any power difference.

· Registered
10 Posts
main relay location accord

hey guys i can find my main relay in my prelude 92, but i cant find it in my accord sirt 99 any ideas would be appreciated, i'm trying to test it to see if my fuel pump is working correctly as there is no noise coming from it? thanks

· Registered
10,346 Posts
not really get some nice ignition wires and plugs and you'll be fine. if i was running 600 hp i wouldn' have anything near stock ignition.

if you compared msd on a virtually stock motor vs another stock motor with upgraded wires and plugs...not 10 year old factory parts going bad. i doubt you'd see any power difference.
coilpacks > distributor setup anyday, however, it doesnt always make any noticeable difference. Depends on the car. Hondas are designed with distributors to run very lean mixes, hence why the coil route doesnt do jack shit. However, more often then not, cars are not designed from factory to burn very lean mixtures.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
coilpacks > distributor setup anyday, however, it doesnt always make any noticeable difference. Depends on the car. Hondas are designed with distributors to run very lean mixes, hence why the coil route doesnt do jack shit. However, more often then not, cars are not designed from factory to burn very lean mixtures.
1.i gots da coilpacks from the factory

2. and if your running 600whp on a motor never designed to approach thos power levels you're damn right i'm not running stock ignition. and even hondas run a little rich from the factory.

3. it's just cheaper to have one distributor than to run 4 coil packs.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
What's the average horsepower for a 94 accord with h22a with turbo?
What kind of 1/2 assed question is that? Not to mention questioned in a thread that isn't about H22 turbos

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.