Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl has a 96 Accord and today when she got out of class she started it up and the check engine light came on and the car is driving rough and vibrates, later it just shut off after she started it. She went to auto zone to have them check and they cant find out where to plug their machine in to find out. They were like i think it needs a tune up or an engine mount, which is stupid because your engine light wont come on for that. Im thinking it is an o2 sensor or maybe the timing belt slipped, if anyone can help out i would greatly appreciate it, thanx

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
the plug is behind the ash tray... just pull the tray out and youll see it....

and it might need a tune up... whens the last time the plugs, wires, cap and rotor were replaced?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they couldnt find it there so im not sure, although she doesnt know when the last tune up was but it wouldnt cause the engine light to come on thats why im thinking the o2 or timing belt slipped

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
konig_twinkies said:
they couldnt find it there so im not sure, although she doesnt know when the last tune up was but it wouldnt cause the engine light to come on thats why im thinking the o2 or timing belt slipped
how many miles are on the car?...

i would just go back to autozone and get that checked out and make sure you go with so you can point out where the plug in is...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunately i cant go because right now we are long distance but im pretty sure its an o2 sensor, im going to have her do the paper clip to get how many times it flashes so i can tell her what it is but i cant until after she is out of class and the same with me, just seeing if anyone had the similar problem or knew, thanx for the help though

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
it could be the o2... but what if it isnt and the o2 is fine... then youve wasted your money on a part you didnt need... see what im saying...

when my last car had that problem it was cause one of the plug wires were grounding out agains the block... the car drove like crap.. stuttered and shook and the engine didnt sound right...

but yea.. have your g/f do the paper clip trick and see what comes up

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a 90 civic si hatch with OBD0, and I my check engine light came on. How can I check the code on my car. I have a hand held engine tester but it doesn't work for OBD0's.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
cel codes and how to check them. Autozone sucks ass when going for information....autozones only good for one thing, cheap parts and warranty.
http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

And yeah, your check engine light can come on when it needs a tune up. Friends came on in his integra when he bought it from a dealership.....turns out those cheapo biatchs didnt do a full tune up on the car only a gay oil change, it needed new spark plugs, got new plugs and it was running fine again.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
konig_twinkies said:
unfortunately i cant go because right now we are long distance but im pretty sure its an o2 sensor, im going to have her do the paper clip to get how many times it flashes so i can tell her what it is but i cant until after she is out of class and the same with me, just seeing if anyone had the similar problem or knew, thanx for the help though

Could be an intake leak or some sort of vac leak. A vac leak will cause the engine to idle rough and stall sometimes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
spray004 said:
Could be an intake leak or some sort of vac leak. A vac leak will cause the engine to idle rough and stall sometimes.

He's right.. we hand put together my car after a wreck. well vacuum lines were all over the place and it took us weeks just to get those right it ran like crap until we fixed them..... ima agree with spray on this.. vacuum lines could be the deal

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
konig_twinkies said:
My girl has a 96 Accord and today when she got out of class she started it up and the check engine light came on and the car is driving rough and vibrates, later it just shut off after she started it. She went to auto zone to have them check and they cant find out where to plug their machine in to find out. They were like i think it needs a tune up or an engine mount, which is stupid because your engine light wont come on for that. Im thinking it is an o2 sensor or maybe the timing belt slipped, if anyone can help out i would greatly appreciate it, thanx
kick it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It could be your EGR valve cuz that was the problem in my car
(rough idle, check engine light). Also try to see if the check engine plug is under the dash where the glove box is cuz that is where mine is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts