Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 auto 4cy accord, and my auto accord cant reach over 6000rpm... What should I do in order to reach redline (the cheapest way)?? Does that void my factory warranty??

·
Registered
153 Posts
u dontneed to buy anything!
manualy shift yer auto

Put it on 1 or 2 instead of d3 or d4 n floor it.... n garanteed u will go past redline... n hit revlimiter hehheh so shift up when that happens

·
Registered
165 Posts
Watch your OIL LEVEL!!!

I found out some of the hard ways, that 6th Gen Accords go through oil FAST when you drive hard.

I have a 2000 EX 5 speed sedan, and with VTEC, and nearly redlining through each gear when I feel like "getting up to the legal speed limit" faster than normal...basically, you might as well leave the drainplug off the car.

Make sure you keep some oil with you..just in case. I know an AUTO will still lose alot of oil, since it actually takes MORE engine power to get an auto up to speed than in a 5 speed.

·
Registered
813 Posts
why da hell do u want to reach redline? :confused:

·
Registered
350 Posts
VTruong01 said:
why da hell do u want to reach redline? :confused:
Exactly!! There's no reason to reach redline. Just keep in mind that both fuel economy AND performance suffer at those RPM levels, so there's no real benefit to being at 6k+rpm.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What do you mean...WHY?

If you dont get up to redline, you can't get close to the rev limiter...and can't make that oh so cool noise...where it bounces off the redline and drains all your oil in seconds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
heh...hitting the rev-limiter isn't fun. i've done it once and never will go back to hit it. the rev limiter kicks in @ about 6800 RPM...maybe even 7000 RPM. but here is wat i found out from my experimenting. i kno this is bad but i got curious. you can drive in 1st till about 40 MPH, 2nd gear till 70 MPH, 3rd is about 100-110 MPH, 4th is kinda unknown. never went tat fast.

but yes...why would you want to hit the limiter...there is a way to bypass the limiter...but i ain't telling :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
besides...why would u want to attempt to hit redline in your 2000 accord? when u reach it ur leaning ur motor out.

lean motor = not healthy

·
Registered
813 Posts
Izzy said:
Hondas are meant to be redlined. My honda performs a hell of a lot better under abuse.
we all hope ur BSing about this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was bieng sarcastic....sort of.

But seriously now, I don't redline my car often but honda 4-cylinders can take more abuse than alot of the cars in the market. Don't you think?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i do

i red line my accord when i think i cant win sometimes... i shift manually in my auto and instead of staying in my limit zone 6.2*1000 rpm i hit like 7.3*1000 rpm and really with my 4 cyl soch it hits hard. i can beat a 240, 93 ex, 95 accord, 96 accord(non v6 gee), and like hella civics....and thats with a 91 honda accord in the best condition possible o btw i have no mods on my car and im not lying at all =). but one piece of advice.......dont be readlining just stay under ur limit and ur car wont "wooss out" and kill its self

"its not how u stand by ur car, its how u race ur car"

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Re: i do

AccOrDZteCh said:
i red line my accord when i think i cant win sometimes... i shift manually in my auto and instead of staying in my limit zone 6.2*1000 rpm i hit like 7.3*1000 rpm and really with my 4 cyl soch it hits hard.

"its not how u stand by ur car, its how u race ur car"
Not calling you a liar, but you said you can shift at 7300?!! I kinda doubt it unless you have a chip or something that allows that.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
haha

okay 7000 i just wanted to make it sound cool... i dont dare go past that man..too scared.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ify ou guys have ever changed right when the limiter kicks in on an auto it changes to second gear with much more potential to kick ass. It start second gear at a higher rpm so your gonna get a faster vtec engagement which is good.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Accord are family car! Not race car!Why would you want to go pass redline? Once you go pass redline you loss HP! I domt know about you but I ratter gane HP then loss HP!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drive a 5 speed 2 door 94lx. I hit my 7000rpm rev limiter many times. It really helps when racing because when shifting to your next gear you keep your rpm's up pretty high.

But then again, I drive it like I stole it. :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can't speak for other years but on my 2000 Accord LX with 5-speed I CANNOT reach 7000RPM before the electronic limiter kicks in. Taking the car to it's redline is a a prerequisite for best track times (at least for this car). The gear ratio change is too large between 1st and 2nd gear especially. The idea is to keep the engine RPM's at where it makes most of it's power MOST of the time. Yea, I know the power starts to drop off when you rev it in the twilight zone, but to shift early would mean even more of a drop in power -- at least I speak for this car. All I can say is to take it to the track and try shifting at different points. Don't just accept what I or others say, just try it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts