Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ACT Clutch Breakin period

When they say that you need to break in the clutch...this means what??? No taking the rpms over 3500 when you rev, or when you are actually going?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I didn't shift while in VTEC for the first 1000 miles, but I'm sure other people will have an opinion that slightly differs. The ultimate goal is to bed in your flywheel, kinda like your brakes, so that the life is prolonged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
thats weenie, as long as you've got everything installed right, i dont see why you need to break in a clutch, i was easy on mine for about 30 miles then started hammering on it, been 2 years no problems.

you gotta remember, as soon as our cars are built they hit the dyno then the test track, i dont think they break in anything in then....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,276 Posts
Matt said:
thats weenie, as long as you've got everything installed right, i dont see why you need to break in a clutch, i was easy on mine for about 30 miles then started hammering on it, been 2 years no problems.

you gotta remember, as soon as our cars are built they hit the dyno then the test track, i dont think they break in anything in then....
i dont think that every car is dynoed and test tracked out of the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts
98Vtec said:
i dont think that every car is dynoed and test tracked out of the factory.
If it was I'd want that job... haha

Unless it was at a Cavalier/Sunfire factory...

But of course that's NOT done. Most cars are delivered to the dealership with less than 2 miles on them. Just the distance from the factory to the storage area, and from storage area to truck.

Recent 2004 Si I looked at had 0.6 miles on it on the showroom floor!

~Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,843 Posts
IHIPrelude94 said:
If it was I'd want that job... haha

Unless it was at a Cavalier/Sunfire factory...
^ :lol :lol

Just don't punch it...Be patient and keep it in low RPM range for now. Then when it's time let all hell break loose....But for now play it safe.

Better safe than sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
well i know that lotus puts the new elise on a dyno at the factory and do about 15 minutes or so at all sorts of rpm ranges...even to redline, when we prep new cars for sales we gotta pull and print the ecu memory, it stores highest launch rpm, number of launches, highest rpm in each gear, tim ein each gear.... pretty cool stuff. i'm pretty sure honda does the same, if its gonna break its cheaper and easier to have it break at the factory...

but still, you think race car drives break in new clutches, by the time its broke in they'd need a new engine
 

·
Young&Dangerous
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
You need time for the disk and fly too settle in right. Or your disk and fly won’t be even! Witch would cause your clutch to slip, if it can’t get a grip.

Race cars changes there clutch every race. So if you wanna change it out every time you drive then go a head.

Play it safe and do 500 miles! You’ll be happier!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
all my cars i was easy on shifting, i would still take it to redline if i wanted to. i have had 3 performance clutchs in different cars and never had a problem, i only break in a clutch for 150 miles. a puck clutch requires no break in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
SOLO racers dont change every race....
500 miles is alot of miles...are we talking highway miles or city driving?
 

·
Young&Dangerous
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
Matt said:
SOLO racers dont change every race....
500 miles is alot of miles...are we talking highway miles or city driving?
Thats City drivein but times it by 2 if its Highway!

Took me like two weeks to do it, But when it was time 2nd grabed like you know what!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
you guys are crazy, we arent talking brakes here where you want to transfer some of the brake pad material to the rotors and "seat" them in.

seriously, put a clutch in, start it up make sure it engages and disengages easily, no problems/sounds or weird feelings, then take it out and drive it.

it wont hurt, its what it was made for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
Type_SH RaCer said:
Thats City drivein but times it by 2 if its Highway!

Took me like two weeks to do it, But when it was time 2nd grabed like you know what!
so if i were to go for a 4 hour freeway drive, about 65 mph, thats 260 miles, but lets say it only took me 4 gear changes until i was on the freeway for my journey, then turned around and came back, maybe 4 more gear changes, so i pushed the clutch in 8 times, is that enough to say its "broke in"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,276 Posts
Matt said:
so if i were to go for a 4 hour freeway drive, about 65 mph, thats 260 miles, but lets say it only took me 4 gear changes until i was on the freeway for my journey, then turned around and came back, maybe 4 more gear changes, so i pushed the clutch in 8 times, is that enough to say its "broke in"?
normal street driving. The only breaking in the highway is good for is breaking in motors, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
sounds good. you guys do it your way..... i'm sure it will prolong the life at least however many miles you decide it takes to break yours in. :D

and as long as you dont stay at one rpm for too long on the freeway
 

·
Young&Dangerous
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
Matt said:
so if i were to go for a 4 hour freeway drive, about 65 mph, thats 260 miles, but lets say it only took me 4 gear changes until i was on the freeway for my journey, then turned around and came back, maybe 4 more gear changes, so i pushed the clutch in 8 times, is that enough to say its "broke in"?
No! you only have 260mile. You know that the Fly spins when you’re in motion! 8 times or no times you still only have 260 miles and I said x2 to 500mile for highway... Didn’t I...

Well it's not my clutch nor is it my car, do what ever you want to it! Just don’t complain about a strange noise your car is making!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
Type_SH RaCer said:
No! you only have 260mile. You know that the Fly spins when you’re in motion! 8 times or no times you still only have 260 miles and I said x2 to 500mile for highway... Didn’t I...

Well it's not my clutch nor is it my car, do what ever you want to it! Just don’t complain about a strange noise your car is making!
but i turned around and came back.... so its 260x2=520 miles and 8 gear changes....

seriously, i polled a bunch of guys i work with (very large car dealership, lots of old gear heads, a few SOLO racers and a few IHRA-wannabe drag racers,)all of them laughed at the "break-in" period.... and like i said before 2 years and alot of ass kicking later and its still rocking fine....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,553 Posts
Matt said:
well i know that lotus puts the new elise on a dyno at the factory and do about 15 minutes or so at all sorts of rpm ranges...even to redline, when we prep new cars for sales we gotta pull and print the ecu memory, it stores highest launch rpm, number of launches, highest rpm in each gear, tim ein each gear.... pretty cool stuff. i'm pretty sure honda does the same, if its gonna break its cheaper and easier to have it break at the factory...
lets realize how many cars honda produces in a day vs. how many cars lotus produces in a day

there is simply too many hondas being made each day to take each one of them around a track and strap each one up and do some dyno pulls. i could see honda doing this to NSX's b/c theres so few made and each one is built to perfection, but any other honda prolly goes straight from the assembly line onto a truck to be shipped to the next stop
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top